IGNORED

Tiger Troubles - DUI Arrest

Al B Tross
Note: This thread is 2515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From ESPN...

In a statement released Monday evening, Woods said alcohol was not a factor in his arrest, which he said stemmed from an "unexpected reaction" to prescription medication.

"I understand the severity of what I did and I take full responsibility for my actions," Woods said in the statement. "I want the public to know that alcohol was not involved. What happened was an unexpected reaction to prescribed medications. I didn't realize the mix of medications had affected me so strongly.

"I would like to apologize with all my heart to my family, friends and the fans. I expect more from myself too. I will do everything in my power to ensure this never happens again.

"I fully cooperated with law enforcement, and I would like to personally thank the representatives of the Jupiter Police Department and the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office for their professionalism."

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OK, this raises more questions. He talks about a "mix" of medications. So, more than one. As Iacas noted, the last operation was a month ago or a little better. Why would he still be taking multiple pain meds? Is he hooked? Or is his back so totally jacked up that he'll basically be in pain the rest of his life?

35 minutes ago, David in FL said:

From ESPN...

In a statement released Monday evening, Woods said alcohol was not a factor in his arrest, which he said stemmed from an "unexpected reaction" to prescription medication.

"I understand the severity of what I did and I take full responsibility for my actions," Woods said in the statement. "I want the public to know that alcohol was not involved. What happened was an unexpected reaction to prescribed medications. I didn't realize the mix of medications had affected me so strongly.

"I would like to apologize with all my heart to my family, friends and the fans. I expect more from myself too. I will do everything in my power to ensure this never happens again.

"I fully cooperated with law enforcement, and I would like to personally thank the representatives of the Jupiter Police Department and the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office for their professionalism."

That makes me feel quite a bit better about this situation, which has bummed me out somewhat today, if I'm being honest. I know I don't know this guy at all, but it stinks seeing someone fall this far in life.

So TMZ's reporting with its first hole in it. Also, the "arrogant" with police thing they said... that's not consistent with his character, which is always showing the utmost respect to law enforcement and military folks. Maybe he was arrogant, I have no idea, but I guess I'll reserve judgement til a bit more concrete info comes on this. I'm just glad no one got hurt. I drive on Military Trail everyday... and there's never a DUI check point on that road, I think. 

Constantine

That statement should be required reading for Lexi Thompson....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Really glad he didn't hurt anyone......and hope this really turns out to be a blessing in disguise

The guy has made some very poor decisions, but I do not think he is a bad person....the one thing that will really sting from this is the impact on his children...hopefully enough to really get his attention here

I wish Tiger the best.....honestly do

• Upvote 1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

As Iacas noted, the last operation was a month ago or a little better. Why would he still be taking multiple pain meds? Is he hooked?

Why do people love to jump to conclusions?

You don't know that it's pain medication. It could be anti-clotting medication combined with something to stimulate bone growth or nerve dampeners or muscle relaxants or who knows what else you get prescribed after surgery on your spine. :-P

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

You don't know that it's pain medication. It could be anti-clotting medication combined with something to stimulate bone growth or nerve dampeners or muscle relaxants or who knows what else you get prescribed after surgery on your spine. :-P

Could those meds be responsible for bloating? He does look bloated in the mug shot.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Could those meds be responsible for bloating? He does look bloated in the mug shot.

I'm not sure that the police station has the best camera set up ;) 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

10 hours ago, DannyMac said:

I will never understand celebrities like Tiger driving under the influence, have a driver on payroll or just grab an uber!  

Well..DUI (driving under influence) means you could literally have a sip of alcohol. You are then 'under the influence.' But DWI (driving while intoxicated) is an ignorant decision. Obviously to deter alcohol and driving the limit is set very low regarding consumption and actual impairment. Doesn't really matter here. Either it's bad PR for Tiger.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

What the heck was he doing driving around at 3 am?

Billionaire with nothing to do....I would go anywhere at any time.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

36 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

What the heck was he doing driving around at 3 am?

Late night Micky D's run?

Also, I think all the strip clubs around here close at 4am, so technically, he went home early :-P

I'm making jokes, but I am still saddened by this situation. As someone who is dealing with a number of injuries that will take me twelve or more months to resolve, I can understand to an extent the psychological stress he might be under. 

I guess tomorrow they're going to release the dash cam footage. Bracing for whatever that might reveal, if anything. Hoping his statement remains accurate. 

Constantine

• Administrator
58 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well..DUI (driving under influence) means you could literally have a sip of alcohol. You are then 'under the influence.' But DWI (driving while intoxicated) is an ignorant decision. Obviously to deter alcohol and driving the limit is set very low regarding consumption and actual impairment. Doesn't really matter here. Either it's bad PR for Tiger.

He said it wasn't alcohol.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, iacas said:

TMZ says: "We're told she began crying, then bought $5k worth of merchandise and left."

I don't care much about this, but… at least that part is amusing. :-)

Yea, admittedly, that cracked me up too haha.

Picturing this:

giphy.gif

And this haha: 

Constantine

7 hours ago, iacas said:

He said it wasn't alcohol.

Raises an interesting question, then, if the news reports are accurate: why did he refuse to blow? If that's the case, he obviously can't have been thinking clearly. If he had no alcohol in him, in his position I'd have been thinking...field sobriety tests (balance, etc), on a man who just had significant back surgery, then blowing a 0.0...if they arrest me for DUI on that basis, my attorney's going to have a lot to work with...

I guess the world will have a clearer picture if the dashboard footage is released.

9 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

OK, this raises more questions. He talks about a "mix" of medications. So, more than one. As Iacas noted, the last operation was a month ago or a little better. Why would he still be taking multiple pain meds? Is he hooked? Or is his back so totally jacked up that he'll basically be in pain the rest of his life?

8 hours ago, iacas said:

I think given the fact that he's abused pain meds in the past, it's not a far stretch to assume they may have been a contributing factor in this incident too.  

What doesn't sit right with me is the statement "What happened was an unexpected reaction to prescribed medications. I didn't realize the mix of medications had affected me so strongly."  Since it supposedly was an unexpected reaction to mixing meds, that means he had either already been taking something and added a new medication, or he hadn't been on anything and started taking 2 or more meds at the same time...at midnight or 1 am or 2 am?  I don't buy it.  If he had an unexpected reaction, that means he took the meds within a few hours of his arrest.  I suppose it's possible he got new scripts filled for anti-clotting and bone growth meds in the middle of the night, but my gut tells me it was something else.  I actually believe that no alcohol was involved...it would be stupid to deny it then have the police release it in their report, but I don't think it was an innocent case of legit prescribed meds causing a bad reaction.  He has the best docs in the country...they know what meds can't be taken together.  I would think they would be especially cautious with a high profile patient like Tiger.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I'm going to wait to form any sort of opinion until the full details come out.  Even if it was a bad mix of prescriptions you can't defend getting into a vehicle at that point if he felt the way he did.  Happening at 3AM is not a good look.

Tiger is known to suffer from insomnia so being up at that time isn't surprising.  Perhaps he took his meds before he went to bed, woke up restless, got the munchies and though he needed a run to the Waffle House or grab a greasy burger somewhere?  The only thing I know is that 1) the truth will be really hard to find and 2) that his story is getting sadder by the hour.

• Upvote 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Note: This thread is 2515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!