IGNORED

Tiger Troubles - DUI Arrest

Al B Tross
Note: This thread is 2486 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Anyone know if the charges would have been different if the car wasn't running? 

Maybe. Probably not. If he was involved in a traffic accident and left the scene, parked and pulled the keys out of the ignition the police would probably still be able to articulate that his current level of impairment led to striking an object. Basically hit and run. Probable Cause is all you need for an arrest like that and if he WAS involved in an accident and a subsequent search of the area led the police to his vehicle where he was parked on the shoulder they have all the PC in the world. 

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10°, Fairway - Callaway Mavrik 3w, Hybrid - Callaway Mavrik 3 & 4, Irons - Callaway 2018 X-Forged 5-PW, Wedges - Callaway Jaws 50°, 56° & 60°, Putter - Odyssey 2-Ball White Steel SRT Mallet 

46 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

I learned a lot just from this thread.  The first 5 entire pages of the thread can just be tossed into the trash.  Lesson on how normally reasonable and intelligent people can just go non-linear on zero real data.

Oh - sucks for Tiger, hope he's ok.  I know if I'm on painkillers and recovering from surgery I'm usually not out at 3am for about any reason.

Not even if you knew it was the only time the paparazi weren't outside your house? Suffering from insomnia? You've never taken a drive in the middle of the night out of boredom? 

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

New documents released late Tuesday afternoon by Jupiter, Florida, police reveal that both tire rims on the driver's side of the Mercedes had minor damage and the front and rear tires on that side of the vehicle were flat.

Police also observed damage to the bumper on the driver's side, white scrapes and scuffs on the rear bumper

Upon reading this, and reflecting on an experience I once had at Logan Airport, when turning in a Toyota Camry which already had 58,000 miles on the clock at the time I rented it (and which I had in no way damaged during my rental period), these cops should go work for a certain leading car rental company when they retire from the force. Maybe it would help them Budget for the future.

I bet >50% of 2015 cars on the road today have minor "tire rim damage."
Edited by ScouseJohnny

19 minutes ago, Apoc81 said:

Not even if you knew it was the only time the paparazi weren't outside your house? Suffering from insomnia? You've never taken a drive in the middle of the night out of boredom? 

TW: "Dang. Can't sleep. Maybe a nice, relaxing drive will do the trick. Lemme grab the keys to the Benz...oh....wait....can't drive without my vicodin!" 

like that? 

12 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

Upon reading this, and reflecting on an experience I once had at Logan Airport, when turning in a Toyota Camry which already had 58,000 miles on the clock at the time I rented it (and which I had in no way damaged during my rental period), these cops should go work for a certain leading car rental company when they retire from the force. Maybe it would help them Budget for the future.

I bet >50% of 2015 cars on the road today have minor "tire rim damage."

Tire rim damage PLUS flat tires?  Sounds to me more like he drove over a curb or something like that.

Related:  As a 16 or 17 year old dumbass, I thought it would be funny (as did my little brother and cousin who were in favor of the idea) to "peel out" around the corner near my cousins house through a wet cross-gutter.  After a little fishtailing, a little panicking, a lack of enough awareness to remove my dumb ass foot from the accellerator, we hit the curb, upon which I dented both left side rims and flattened both left side tires.

The other thing of note to me is that they said right side tires, which is extra scary because it means he likely drove across the other side of the road.

7 hours ago, ScouseJohnny said:

God, the gutter press are liars. The report has now been released.

Yep, and I should know better by now, but I still fall for it.  At least I knew the story about him killing a zookeeper wasn't true.

6 hours ago, billchao said:

You can get a DUI for operating a ... golf cart ... under the influence.

... [response redacted].

(I don't drink when I use a cart so no big deal there)

5 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

This is all good news for anyone who doesn't enjoy the suffering of others.  I'm glad his story turned out to be true.  I wonder if all the blowhard assholes (I'm looking at you, Stephen A. Smith) will apologize publicly?  Haha....

Trent Dilfer is the only one I can think of at ESPN who will admit it when he's wrong.  And he's not there anymore.  Probably because he can admit it when he's wrong, and that's probably bad for ratings.

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

This is ESPN. Vilify who they don't like, including making up stuff, and praise and glory for those they like, i.e., bury the bad story on page 143.

One upside of not having cable is that I don't have to spend a dime on ESPN.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

Yes. I believe the way it works is if the keys are on your person or in your car while you are in it there is intent. I have been told that what you should do is if no other options hide your keys in a bush. 

One time I slept off a night of drinking in my Jeep Cherokee in the college parking lot when I was a student. I had the keys. Thankfully no one bothered me and I went home early in morning and got rest of sleep I needed. 

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

Not according to my buddy, an attorney...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

IDK, if I were Woody, I'd be having a chat with the doctors who prescribed these meds that had an adverse reaction on him. After the doctors, if he used a pharmacy, he should ask them a few questions too. Before multiple meds are prescribed, there is usually some checks done to make sure the meds work well with each other. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

The other thing of note to me is that they said right side tires, which is extra scary because it means he likely drove across the other side of the road.

I think they said the driver's side tires, Drew.

And even if it was the right side tires, he could have cut a corner on a right turn and gone over a curb.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What really concerns me is that this is related to prescription pain killers. MJ... Prince... We've had enough celebrity deaths from those things.

• Upvote 1

- Shane

3 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

What really concerns me is that this is related to prescription pain killers. MJ... Prince... We've had enough celebrity deaths from those things.

A supposed controlled substance... which everyone seems to get their hands on.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

18 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

A supposed controlled substance... which everyone seems to get their hands on.

I forget which drug he was describing, but in (and I hope I at least get the movie right) Good Morning Vietnam, Robin Williams describes a drug as "not a problem."  When asked to clarify, he says it isn't a problem, anyone can get it.

(this would be funnier if I remembered the quote right and which drug, but I'm not going to look that up while at work)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

30 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Ugh that's hard to think about but a stark possibility now. Losing Tiger Woods to an accidental prescription drug overdose would without a doubt be golf's greatest tragedy. 

Seriously the opioid epidemic in America is one of the saddest things going on today that probably doesn't get talked about enough in the media. 

• Upvote 1

Constantine

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think they said the driver's side tires, Drew.

And even if it was the right side tires, he could have cut a corner on a right turn and gone over a curb.

Whoops ... I had everything correct in my head but screwed up left and right in my story.  My screw up was actually on my RIGHT side tires, and Tigers was on the left.  But you are correct that there are other possibilities with how the rims ended up damaged and the tires flat.

22 hours ago, iacas said:

Why do people love to jump to conclusions?

You don't know that it's pain medication. It could be anti-clotting medication combined with something to stimulate bone growth or nerve dampeners or muscle relaxants or who knows what else you get prescribed after surgery on your spine. :-P

I was not making statements, I was asking questions. Which, at the time, was basically all we could do.

As more info came out it seems that Tiger took two breathalyzer tests at the police station and blew .00 on both. According to the police report published in the paper, Woods was cooperative and respectful, never behaved arrogantly, and his car and person did not reek of booze.

So much for TMZ making statements.

I also heard that Tiger took Ambien (a sleep aid) along with another scrip before heading home. Who knows how accurate that report was?

Whatever, the mug shot looks like a guy who was on a 3 day bender!

2 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

Yes. I believe the way it works is if the keys are on your person or in your car while you are in it there is intent. I have been told that what you should do is if no other options hide your keys in a bush.

The assumption is that as a drunk person in the proximity of your car, you might suddenly succumb to the irresistible intention to drive it. Hence, being drunk and "in control" of the vehicle seems to be enough - it doesn't have to be switched on. You don't have to be in the driver's seat. In fact, some attorneys advise you don't even need to be be physically in the car.

Ridiculous, but there you go. A trawl of the internet reveals stories of people receiving DUIs while retrieving something from the trunk of their parked car, and God knows what else.

I live in an apartment building close to downtown. Out front, there is on-street parking. Out back, up a short dirt road, there is about a quarter acre of land that belongs to the apartment building owner, which he has loosely graveled and lets the tenants use as overflow parking when all the on-street spaces are full. On the nights I decide to have even a glass of Shiraz, I park out back, off the public road. Not that I have any intention of driving anywhere, (and nor would I), but if I have left my book bag or my reading glasses or something else I need in my car...

What can you say? From the legitimate, good, original intention of targeting irresponsible drunk drivers, it is now possible to find yourself in a very bad spot when you had zero intention of sitting in the driver's seat, switching on the ignition, and selecting Drive. It's a MADD, MADD world...

Edited by ScouseJohnny
  • Upvote 1

This is outdated already because it was from this morning, but funny to hear Joe Rogan and Bill Burr talk about this:

• Upvote 2

Constantine

Note: This thread is 2486 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!