IGNORED

Phil Mickelson missing US open for HS Graduation

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 2496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess that tells us where his priorities lie.

Good for him!  

• Upvote 3

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It' not like he hasn't played in an US Open or never will again.   You only have one chance to see this daughter graduate.   Golf and making $$ is great but family first!

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

3 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

It' not like he hasn't played in an US Open or never will again.   You only have one chance to see this daughter graduate.   Golf and making $$ is great but family first!

I agree with the OP. (Stupid kids and their petty accomplishments getting in the way of golf!!) 

Jon

At both my high school and college graduations, my parents were a hindrance. They were taking time away from me hanging with my friends and girlfriends. I'm glad they came, but if my dad was going to play in the US Open, I'd have told him to stay the **** away and play.

"Witty golf quote."

9 minutes ago, Aguirre said:

At both my high school and college graduations, my parents were a hindrance. They were taking time away from me hanging with my friends and girlfriends. I'm glad they came, but if my dad was going to play in the US Open, I'd have told him to stay the **** away and play.

A lot of kids might feel that way, but as a parent there's no f'ing way I'd miss that for my job. (I was being sarcastic in my post above).

• Upvote 2

Jon

46 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

You read my mind, dj. Family comes first!

I would. Sports are a different form of profession, and even fewer would force people to work on Saturday. Your sacrifice about whatever mundane job you or I have isn't comparable. Kid can feel better by being independently wealthy the rest of their life. 

Of course, it's Phil's decision. But I'd skip the lousy graduation ceremony (they're all terrible) and throw them some kind of expensive blowout party when I have free time.

"Witty golf quote."

To those who are not pro golfers, it might seem like the most exciting job in the world. But 20 some years of doing it probably brings a level of "same sh!t, different year".

It would appear that to Phil his job doesn't compare to showing his family where they stand in his life.

• Upvote 2

Jon

Additionally, they have all the money in the world.  What they may not have, is as much time together as they might like because of Phil's schedule...

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Phil probably figures.... "I won't win it this year either, so I'll skip it and go to the graduation."

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I read that his daughter is giving the commencement speech. Not going to bag on a guy because he wants to see his daughter graduate from high school, which only happens once. He's played in 26 US Opens already. I think his daughter's graduation is more special than that.

And, let's be honest, with a course that long and with that rough, he wasn't going to win the thing anyway. Pretty sure I'd make the same decision if I were in his shoes. 

• Upvote 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

When ever possible, the decision  should always be family first. He's making the right decision. Plus, does not his absence make a great gift to another player?. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to Phil Mickelson missing US open for HS Graduation

This is the sort of thing that makes people think Phil is a big phony - like the "I'll walk off the course if the baby comes" thing.

It is grandstanding BS. High School "graduation"? Really? Presumably his daughter is going to university - in fact, I know she is.

But of course - this is an opportunity to say how you'd be just the same and how great it is and Phil is a wonderful family man etc. etc.  Not unlike how when people talk about how much they'd give away if they won the lottery.

He's not missing a funeral. But good on him. Not quite sure why it has to be broadcast, but that's Phil for you.

Is finishing high school really considered to be an incredible thing? Especially in a well-rounded and financially secure family.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

4 hours ago, Aguirre said:

Sports are a different form of profession, and even fewer would force people to work on Saturday.

Golf is an individual sport, though. Phil's not on a team, so there's no obligation to play to not, "let the team down"; and there are clearly no requirements to play in the US Open in any of his endorsement contracts, or he'd probably be playing.

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I read that his daughter is giving the commencement speech.

And there it is! It's not just her HS graduation (although that would be enough). Thank you for the post, @DeadMan. I feel like I'm on slashdot...misleading headlines, no reference links or citations, and people bashing someone for being human. Phil is people, too. :-P Now, like a typical slashdot user, I'll not google it myself and continue to speak as if I know the 'whole' story now. :-P:-P

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

Is finishing high school really considered to be an incredible thing?

Obviously, "anyone" - "can do it". It's not about that. It is a milestone, and a big one for most teenagers/parents/families in America. Babies "leaving the nest", big brothers and sisters leaving siblings behind, leaving pets, friends, and other such things. It can be a big deal. YMMV. :beer:

Edited by roamin
  • Upvote 2

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

So, i dont get why Phil is considered a phony for not playing in the US Open to attend his daughter's HS graduation?   and yes i do remember years ago when he was expecting one of his kids, and would of walked off the course....    I dont doubt he would have either....   

Hunter Mahan walked away from a tournament, while leading it too......   other's have walked away from a tournament too, for other family reasons..   

• Upvote 1

It is what it is

1 hour ago, David L Yskes said:

So, i dont get why Phil is considered a phony for not playing in the US Open to attend his daughter's HS graduation?   and yes i do remember years ago when he was expecting one of his kids, and would of walked off the course....    I dont doubt he would have either....   

He's a phony because he's doing it to make everyone think he's a great father and put's his family first... and he's so good at being a phony he's actually being a great father and putting his family first.  You can't tell can you... the real Phil versus the phony Phil...  Damn he's good. 

• Upvote 2

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Note: This thread is 2496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!