IGNORED

Unable to complete backswing when ball is there.

Note: This thread is 2381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

I'd have to see it to believe it. Most amateurs I see that play worse than mid single digit golf tend to complete their backswing and then some with elbow bending to move the arms more "up" in an attempt to create swing length. Even when I feel like I am stopping at waist level what I see on video it's well past that.

some do not know the concept of being Wide AND Deep.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would make backswings as slow as you can until you can make a full one. 50%, 25%, 5%. However slow you have to go while still being able to make a full swing. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

18 minutes ago, jamo said:

I would make backswings as slow as you can until you can make a full one. 50%, 25%, 5%. However slow you have to go while still being able to make a full swing. 

Not a bad idea. I've done variations of this but not exactly. Thank you.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

42 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Oh I don't know . Maybe I'm not fond of the idea of a crappy swing of  mine being view able by anyone with an internet connection.

Check out the first entry in my "My Swing" thread (linked in signature).  Other than this one problem that you'll fix soon (and post an updated video with the better swing), yours is probably better than the one I started with.  Go look at my embarrassing swing from 3+ years ago and let it give you the courage to post yours -- and get the help so many are eager to give.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

29 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Check out the first entry in my "My Swing" thread (linked in signature).  Other than this one problem that you'll fix soon (and post an updated video with the better swing), yours is probably better than the one I started with.  Go look at my embarrassing swing from 3+ years ago and let it give you the courage to post yours -- and get the help so many are eager to give.

Where is your link? All I see is "game golf"

Agree with what @iacas said, you just have to force yourself to do it. Stay focused on the feeling all the way to the end of the backswing. You'll know you're doing it right if it feels way different. 

1 hour ago, gregsandiego said:

I am sure that's probably true. Let me read the part about how to make a video again.

Yeah nobody really cares and no one will be able to find it unless you list your name in the title of the video.

I have a bunch of crappy/embarrassing swings that are in my swing thread.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Where is your link? All I see is "game golf"

In his signature. Also, we enforce the same naming, so… "My Swing (username)" will get you there, too.

5 minutes ago, mvmac said:

I have a bunch of crappy/embarrassing swings that are in my swing thread.

So do I, and unlike @mvmac the last year or two, I'm still a pro looking to continue to get students. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

So do I, and unlike @mvmac the last year or two, I'm still a pro looking to continue to get students. :-)

Move to SOCAL

6 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Not a bad idea. I've done variations of this but not exactly. Thank you.

@jamo Just got back from the range and this idea seemed effective. Maybe because I had it in my head that it would, but nonetheless.

Before I'd swing normal speed to about 1/2 back and then into a slow motion which throws my out of the plane. But doing the whole thing in slow motion helps me keep in balance.

@gregsandiego,

Let us help you. Post a swing in a My Swing thread and don't worry about what others may think. I post them as Unlisted on Youtube.

The journey to playing better golf comes with understanding what you need to work on. You will be surprised and pleased with the help you will get.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It's kind of psychologically obvious isn't it? When there's no ball you can make a full and free swing that's a thing of beauty! Then, when you put a ball down, you just want to HIT IT! And the swing motion goes out the window! The hit impulse takes over. Mind you, practice swing don't demand that you square the clubface!

I realize that this is getting perilously close to the metaphysical, "woogie, woogie" style of golf. Like "swing your swing" and the ball will be all right, and other stuff. But that kind of worked for me. I was never someone who could get real mechanical. It would seem to bind me up. I was always more of the take care of business where you are, and the business out there would take care of itself.

But, you still have to square the clubface!

7 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

It's kind of psychologically obvious isn't it? When there's no ball you can make a full and free swing that's a thing of beauty!

I wouldn't assume no ball practice swing means you are producing the perfect swing you need to copy.

8 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Mind you, practice swing don't demand that you square the clubface!

Squaring the club face is terrible advice. 

Its a benefit to hit a single shot shape (either left or right), which means the club face is not square to the target line. 

Squaring the club face mentally makes people want to roll the forearms. In a good swing the club face is delivered to the ball in a good position with out much thought required. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I wouldn't assume no ball practice swing means you are producing the perfect swing you need to copy.. 

Maybe not, but it's a lot better.

Without video it's all speculation but could this be a setup problem?  I had a similar problem with my driver where practice swings felt great but once I had to hit a ball, it went off the rails.  A clubfitter at Dick's pointed out that I stood way too close to the ball.  Sure enough, when I moved back from the ball to the correct position, my backswings were much more comfortable and I was able to make decent contact with the ball.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

In the beginning I used to make very short backswings as way to maintain control, because I was afraid of hitting fat. Other golfers called it my "hockey" swing. I'm sure it looked pretty awkward. I can say for fact the ball never went very far.

Two things helped me fix this, the first was this video below which was posted to YouTube by @iacas

And the second one was going to the "one-plane swing", which, a nice gentleman at the range showed me how to do. 

Like you, my instructors were never able to fix my swing problems. They helped me to gather a lot of the puzzle pieces, like solving a mystery, but they never put it all together for me - I did that. Those guys were prescribing the same medicine to all their students, and sometimes just making it up as they went. I was keenly aware on many occasions when they didn't even remember the previous lesson and contradicted themselves. 

I still have unused lessons on my package I'm waiting to use them on something very specific, like bunker shots, or something I struggle with. I feel like I'm hitting the ball really well in spite of my instructors, thanks to this forum and some nice people who watched me hit at the range. I don't want those instructors touching my swing again.

Oh, good heavens! You are so far inside I can't imagine how you managed to hit the ball! Still, this is how video is such a help. You can actually see what you are doing instead of relying on feel.

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Oh, good heavens! You are so far inside I can't imagine how you managed to hit the ball! Still, this is how video is such a help. You can actually see what you are doing instead of relying on feel.

What? That's a youtube video, not me.

9 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

ing to use them on something very specific, like bunker shots, or something I struggle with. I feel like I'm hitting the ball really well in spite of my instructors, thanks to this forum and some nice people who watched me hit at the range. I don't want those instructors touching my swing again.

I learned a lot from my instructor. i think he corrected a bunch of flaws. But like you, some of the nagging issues seem to be mine to solve.

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

WTF ????? 

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 2381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!