IGNORED

2017 Open Championship at Royal Birkdale Discussion Thread

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello old friend NBC US Open music (didn't watch the weekday rounds).

That's Stannis from Game of Thrones doing the intros/video essays. Can't remember other actors they've gotten, I remember Ian McShane. 

The split screen that shows action on left and commercial on right is new. 

Some spectators are in shorts and a t-shirt while some golfers are wearing long sleeve shirts. I holidayed at Souhport and it was chilly one night, wore jeans and a light sweater. On the way to dinner, the owner of the B&B I was staying at walks by me in shorts and a t-shirt, says dude, why you so overdressed? I make fun of west coasters for wearing jackets when it's 60 degrees out I guess that was my moment to be made fun of. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, it seems I missed some excitement today.  A 62, wow.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Damn solid 62. Great to see Spieth rolling it so beautifully on the moss again...guy is one hell of a putter. Pouter rollercoastered, hope he tanks it good tomorrow. Brenden struggles on Sundays, Kuchar always a threat...looks to be a great Sunday!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

28 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Hello old friend NBC US Open music (didn't watch the weekday rounds).

Yanni returns!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Ten years from now there will be a trivia question "Who shot the first 62 in a major" and not many will know the answer to that question. The reason for that is I think there will be 6 or 7 62s by then. It was a record waiting to be broken. Thomas went 63 at Erin HIlls. Streb 63 at last year's PGA. Mickelson and Stenson had 63s at last year's British. It's like the 20-under number in a major. No one ever thought that would ever possibly happen and it's happened twice now in the last 3 years. With these equipment changes and the improvement of the ball striking, these guys are getting better and better and so is scoring. Give these guys soft conditions with no wind and they will tear apart a golf course moreso than ever before. But congratulations to Branden Grace on a phenomenal round.

As for Spieth, at last year's Masters when he held the lead going into the back 9, I was nervous for him because he wasn't playing all that well even though he was winning. You could feel an avalanche could come if he wasn't careful...and it came. Different feel this week. The guy's on form. I've never seen his ball striking better. He's hitting a lot of shots right over pins and he's hitting a lot of solid drives. If he misses fairways, it's just off. But he tends to get nervous on Sunday so we'll see what happens tomorrow. If he's calm and cool and just keeps playing his game, I don't think he's beatable and it will be the 3rd major title with what I think are still a lot more to come. But if he can't close tomorrow, I'm not sure there will be many more to come because it's gonna take another big mental toll on him. He has to close this out.

This is a big moment and step for him and his legacy tomorrow.

Edited by ChrisP

2 hours ago, skydog said:

The dude is a gamer and knows how to post a score like no one I've seen before. He has a three shot lead and is playing with his B game (at best) this week.

Ummmm....really? Can't think of a single person?

I don't think this is his B game. I think it's pretty much his solid game, he's not spectacular. He's a steady grinder.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

21 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Ummmm....really? Can't think of a single person?

I assume you're referring to your boy Tigs. Apples and Oranges. Spieth plays an understated quiet game and is the best I've seen at shooting non-chalant good scores. Tiger overwhelmed courses and constantly impressed with his play. Tiger dominated courses, Spieth grinds out scores that beat the rest the of the field. Just very different.

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

Did you forget his 2015 season?

Not at all....Like I've said before on here, I think Spieth is the most underrated superstar the game has ever seen. Seems like despite his 2015 season, a lot of people don't want to acknowledge how good he is.

21 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I don't think this is his B game. I think it's pretty much his solid game, he's not spectacular. He's a steady grinder.

He hit a combined 5 fairways the first two days.  I wouldn't say it's his A game by any stretch.

Edited by skydog
  • Upvote 2

Somebody needs to give a shout out to Austin Connelly.....what a great performance by the kid...and I just love the fact that the kid turned pro at 18 and headed to Europe.....will be pulling for this kid to finish very strong and this be a springboard.....his swing reminds me a bit of Spencer Levin

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Connelly is a dual citizen - still catching up with the broadcast so dunno if it was mentioned or not. Canada/US. Born in Texas, raised in Nova Scotia. I always wondered what someone with that status, how he/she handled it. He played for the US a long time ago in the Walker Cup but is now playing under the Maple Leaf. I wonder if he has an easier or harder time getting through customs, he's got two passports (?), so he just chooses the one he's entering to get through quicker? FWP.

http://golfweek.com/2015/08/19/us-amateur-golf-austin-connelly-2015-pro-arkansas/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

There's an internal OB between the 9th hole and the 10th hole fairway, established by the R&A for this Open so they wouldn't drive from the 9th tee to the 10th fairway and leave a wedge shot back to the 9th green.  Today on NBC'S broadcast they said that this was because Day's caddie asked if it would be allowed.

Was this smart? Wouldn't it be better to just take it through the 10th fairway if it looked good and let them respond? In other words, just use the (previously) existing rule rather than ask permission to use it?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I think it's pretty much his solid game, he's not spectacular. He's a steady grinder.

What does that mean? I've never understood that distinction. Is it because he's a good putter?

- John

1 minute ago, Hardspoon said:

What does that mean? I've never understood that distinction. Is it because he's a good putter?

I think that's in there with phrases like he doesn't give himself many "unforced errors."

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

A Major golf course shouldn't be dependant on foul weather to challenge the world's top golfers. Royal Birkdale playing like a pitch & putt for 3rd round. A 62, routine 65's all over the board. Hopefully they'll find some way to toughen it up to make final round interesting otherwise it'll be a birdie parade. 

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Some spectators are in shorts and a t-shirt while some golfers are wearing long sleeve shirts. I holidayed at Souhport and it was chilly one night, wore jeans and a light sweater. On the way to dinner, the owner of the B&B I was staying at walks by me in shorts and a t-shirt, says dude, why you so overdressed? I make fun of west coasters for wearing jackets when it's 60 degrees out I guess that was my moment to be made fun of. 

This happened to me, but in reverse. Back when I was in the fine wine bidness, we'd go to the Monterey Wine Festival every February, and then go scout out new wineries to bring back home to Ohio. We'd leave frozen Ohio for California, and be in shirt sleeves the whole time out there while the natives were trudging around in jackets and parkas!

In one tasting room the hostess apologized to us because there was a housefly buzzing around. We told her to think nothing of it, since we hadn't seen one of them in 4-5 months!

1 hour ago, skydog said:

I assume you're referring to your boy Tigs. Apples and Oranges. Spieth plays an understated quiet game and is the best I've seen at shooting non-chalant good scores. Tiger overwhelmed courses and constantly impressed with his play. Tiger dominated courses, Spieth grinds out scores that beat the rest the of the field. Just very different.

Not at all....Like I've said before on here, I think Spieth is the most underrated superstar the game has ever seen. Seems like despite his 2015 season, a lot of people don't want to acknowledge how good he is.

He hit a combined 5 fairways the first two days.  I wouldn't say it's his A game by any stretch.

One thing I noticed about today's (Saturday's) round is this. In some tournaments in the past, when a bunch of guys would be shooting lights out on Saturday, Spieth didn't respond very well. He seemed to "get stuck". He'd shoot par or a stroke or two under, but he let the competition creep closer.

That was not the case today! He shot a stroke better than his closest competitor, who played very good golf! He extended his lead on a day when low scores were everywhere, by shooting a low score himself.

I think the guy is tougher than a lot of people give him credit for.

Edited by Buckeyebowman

From the cadre of phenomenal players out there today, can't think of two nicer guys to go head to head in a Major than Kuch and Spieth.  Kuch is a "nice guy"... maybe too nice.  Has never appeared to have the "killer instinct" it takes to win decisively and often.  OTOH, I don't remember him being in a final group in a Major.  That casual demeanor may pay great dividends.  Spieth has upchucked on the final day of a Major before.  If he goes off the first tee aggressively and trying to make birdies... he will win.  If he plays to not lose and gets too tense worrying that someone might catch him, he is apt to tank.  Koepka has been playing great all year and has just won a Major.  He could easily walk away with this.  Looking for a great day of golf on television!!!!

4 hours ago, skydog said:

Maybe after tomorrow, people will actually start to acknowledge how good Spieth is. The dude is a gamer and knows how to post a score like no one I've seen before. He has a three shot lead and is playing with his B game (at best) this week.

B game?  65/69/65, with 4 bogies all week so far.....  :-\

Tomorrow should be a great day of golf.  The only thing we're missing is some crusty old veteran about 4 strokes back.  Where's Tom Watson when we really need him?! :-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

B game?  65/69/65, with 4 bogies all week so far.....  :-\

Saying it very much as a compliment and to highlight how good I think he is. He can't hit a fairway to save his life for most of the week and he's leading by 3.

I wasn't sure whether Bones was taking a little side shot at Phil or just complimenting Jordan, but I found it interesting when he said, "It's good to hear a golfer use the word 'We' and mean it."

Note: This thread is 2477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!