IGNORED

PGA Tour Allowing Bryson to Use One-Length Clubs

BigBaffy
Note: This thread is 2372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi. I don't know if this has been discussed to exhaustion, but I'd like to know reader's opinions of the PGA tour allowing Bryson Dechambeau to use one-length clubs in league play, at a time when they're banning the use of long putters. The two don't seem mutually exclusive to me, and if the issue is their potential as a competitive advantage, wouldn't a whole set of non-reg clubs be MORE of a potential advantage?

This is not a knock against Dechambeau, I think he's a fine golfer, but I don't understand the ruling.

In the bag: TaylorMade R5 Duel driver (44", Senior-flex), Namura 19* 3 Hybrid, Stiff, Cougar X-CAT 26* 5 hybrid, Wilson K-28 irons 6-PW, Wilson Harmonized Gap (52) and Sand (55) Wedges, Blade Runner II putter.

Apples and oranges.

They didn't ban the use of long putters, just one particular manner (anchoring) of using them.  

Are you seriously suggesting that there be some type of rule requiring that no two clubs be of the same length if they otherwise conform to the stringent requirements that exist for all clubs?

BTW, you're not allowed to anchor any of your other clubs either... ;-) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, BigBaffy said:

The two don't seem mutually exclusive to me

They are completely mutually exclusive, particularly since the PGA Tour (and the USGA and the R&A) have not disallowed or banned really long putters, merely how they (and all other clubs) are used in making a stroke.

12 minutes ago, BigBaffy said:

if the issue is their potential as a competitive advantage

The issue is that the USGA/R&A felt that the anchored method was not a "stroke," just as they felt pushing, scraping, or spooning the ball were not strokes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to PGA Tour Allowing Bryson to Use One-Length Clubs
7 minutes ago, BigBaffy said:

Hi. I don't know if this has been discussed to exhaustion, but I'd like to know reader's opinions of the PGA tour allowing Bryson Dechambeau to use one-length clubs in league play, at a time when they're banning the use of long putters. The two don't seem mutually exclusive to me, and if the issue is their potential as a competitive advantage, wouldn't a whole set of non-reg clubs be MORE of a potential advantage?

This is not a knock against Dechambeau, I think he's a fine golfer, but I don't understand the ruling.

This is the rule "The overall length of the club must be at least 18 inches (0.457 m) and, except for putters, must not exceed 48 inches (1.219 m)."

Single length irons fit under that rule.

What do you mean you dont understand the ruling? His clubs conform to the rules that are already in place. Theres no ruling that needs to be done.

If a whole set of single length irons really provided that much of a competitive advantage, wouldnt you think more tour players would be doing the same thing? Not saying one-length clubs are bad, but if they were really that great I think more guys on tour would be using them, even if their individual sponsor doesnt have a set, im sure they could get them cut down and adjusted to be one-length set if they really thought it would help them. I bet some people that use them just like how they feel, but whether or not they actually give you an advantage, I'm not so sure.

http://www.usga.org/rules/equipment-rules.html#!rule-14617

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

"allow"?

they don't prohibit it - why would they?

they conform

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Has it ever been discussed that this would be illegal?

I can't see any reason why it would be.  still gotta swing the club.  still gotta hit the ball.  ruling this illegal would be no different than the USGA telling me I can't have each of my irons 1/2" long. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

6 minutes ago, lastings said:

Has it ever been discussed that this would be illegal?

I can't see any reason why it would be.  still gotta swing the club.  still gotta hit the ball.  ruling this illegal would be no different than the USGA telling me I can't have each of my irons 1/2" long. 

Nope.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Didn't start with him anyway... They've been available since at least the 70's when I saw them in those ads in the back of the golf magazines. They pushed the same principle then- same length, same swing. 

4 hours ago, Serina001 said:

He is a excellent golfer.Actually. I don't understand the ruling too.

As discussed above, what ruling are you guys referring to? There is no rule against his clubs, so to my knowledge there hasn't been any need for a ruling.

There are already posts above that clarify this.

Welcome to TST!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

6 hours ago, Serina001 said:

He is a excellent golfer.Actually. I don't understand the ruling too.

Welcome to the forum!  :beer:

What "ruling" don't you understand?

In David's bag....

They may not be a "traditional" outlook on the game. But they do conform. Cobra wouldn't have made a set for the general public if they didn't conform.

Single-length irons are not a new thing at all. They've been around since at least the 1980s (Tommy Armour EQL). The difference between then and now is back then all the heads didn't same weights and lies. Now all the clubs have the weights and lies of a 7 or 8 iron. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On 7/27/2017 at 7:47 AM, BigBaffy said:

I'd like to know reader's opinions of the PGA tour allowing Bryson Dechambeau to use one-length clubs in league play, ...

No rule against it... several examples specialty wedges and irons.

The following wedge models both have 35.25" as the standard length for all lofts:

• Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro S.. 50* to 60* in loft
  • Mizuno S5...50* to 62* in loft

Also, several iron models have PW and AW with shafts the same length:

• Taylormade P770 and PSi: PW and AW are both 35.5"
  • Ping G and i200: PW and UW are both 35.5"

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Reminds me of something I read in a Feherty essay. A reader claimed that Tiger had a "contract" with the PGA Tour that no one else was allowed to wear a red shirt and black slacks on Sunday when Tiger was in the field!

Feherty's response, "Where does this kind of nonsense come from?"

Sheesh! The rules of golf are complex enough without this kind of noise!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, do I feel like a dope. I had no idea that single-length clubs had been around so long (or that the long putters were still allowed). But I must admit, I can't see how having one setup and one swing plane ISN'T easier than having to change it for every club in your bag, or at least for long, mid, and short clubs.

I think it's fine for everyday play, but I don't see how it can be allowed on tour. I know, just my opinion.

Thanks for the responses. It was an education.

In the bag: TaylorMade R5 Duel driver (44", Senior-flex), Namura 19* 3 Hybrid, Stiff, Cougar X-CAT 26* 5 hybrid, Wilson K-28 irons 6-PW, Wilson Harmonized Gap (52) and Sand (55) Wedges, Blade Runner II putter.

4 hours ago, BigBaffy said:

Wow, do I feel like a dope. I had no idea that single-length clubs had been around so long (or that the long putters were still allowed). But I must admit, I can't see how having one setup and one swing plane ISN'T easier than having to change it for every club in your bag, or at least for long, mid, and short clubs.

I think it's fine for everyday play, but I don't see how it can be allowed on tour. I know, just my opinion.

Thanks for the responses. It was an education.

If it were the benefit you think it is, don't you think more than one player would be using them on tour?  

In David's bag....

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

If it were the benefit you think it is, don't you think more than one player would be using them on tour?  

Possibly.  But we've seen other situations where they could benefit from something, but they don't use it (e.g., leave flagstick in when they're off the green, use AimPoint, and marking the ball on the green to avoid giving the fellow-competitor an advantage come to mind).

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 2372 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!