IGNORED

How much time do you need to maintain...

Jack Watson
Note: This thread is 2340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Your level?

For me it's a few backyard swings a day maybe ten minutes and I can maintain my feel/score.  I have reached a time where MUCH more is required to truly improve by a few strokes and to me it's not worth it.  I am ok with having a good day be getting close to or breaking 80 without excessive time investment.  That's my answer...

• Upvote 1

I swing a club most days. I average playing around 45 holes a week. I played my 4th round this week today. Next week I might only play one, 18 hole round. Maybe just 9 holes. Maybe nothing. 

I might spend another couple hours a week of just messing around, practicing my short game.

On days I don't play, or practice, I have a swing, practice club I use, just to keep my swing muscles in tune. Maybe 5 or 10 minutes. 

The days I don't touch a golf club, I am out hiking with my dogs, and camera. I call this my "leg work"  exercise. My legs are an important part of my golf swing. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Jack Watson-I like the comment "getting close to XX without an excessive time investment"

I'm starting to realize that for me, being able to go out with the people I go out with (friends, clients, strangers-mostly on munis) and not stinking it up, low 90's on a par 72 from the blues, is good enough. 

I will try and swing a club or putt a few strokes, 2 or 3 times a week. Play 18 once a week Vacation weeks might be 5 18"s, go to a practice area once a week, putting and chipping. Get to the indoor dome once a week during the winter.

There's only so much time , so much else to do and so little natural golf ability.

One driving range session a week is good for me to keep things sharpish.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I''m about to find out. I have developed carpal tunnel in both hands - wrists, worse on right, and have not picked up a club in two weeks. May be for quite a while. :-(   -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I typically do 1 practice session and 1 round per week and this has been enough to implement my evolvr changes which has continually dropped my handicap from 15 ish to 10 ish over this summer.

If I just wanted to maintain the current level I am at right now, I could probably do 1 practice session every week and a half to two weeks, and a 1-2 rounds per month at the most would probably be enough for me to maintain my current level.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

9 hours ago, Aguirre said:

To maintain a solid level, I need three "sessions" a week. By sessions I mean practice or 18 holes.

I also find 3 "sessions" per week (range or course) to be ideal.

It's been mentioned in several earlier threads, but the $64K question is what to do about Winter for those of us faced with an interrupted golf season. I can't get in three sessions in Winter, so I guess I'll have to figure out how to "maintain" over the next 6 months. I hate the thought of starting over again next Spring, but I may have little choice.

Edited by Midpack

Generally, in season, 30-45 minutes every evening doing something in the back yard, either full shots with restricted flight practice balls or full wedges & chips. However, weirdly enough, if I have a bad round, I find that taking a week off without touching a club helps. It's as if whatever bad thoughts or habits that may have crept into by head or body dissipate, like a fog getting burned off by the sun. Strange, I know, but this is a strange game. 

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

I guess I am the small percentage of people that don't really have to do too much to maintain. For example, I didn't touch a golf club for the first 5 months of this year due to family stuff, work etc. My first round of 2017 was May 2, I shot a 2 over 74, my second round 2 weeks later I shot (-2) 70. I have played 30 full 18 hole rounds since May 2 and my scoring average is 71.55. I do try to get to the range once a week, but it doesn't always happen. I shot 64 this year after not touching a club for 2 weeks. I guess my swing is just ingrained in me.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

38 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I guess I am the small percentage of people that don't really have to do too much to maintain. For example, I didn't touch a golf club for the first 5 months of this year due to family stuff, work etc. My first round of 2017 was May 2, I shot a 2 over 74, my second round 2 weeks later I shot (-2) 70. I have played 30 full 18 hole rounds since May 2 and my scoring average is 71.55. I do try to get to the range once a week, but it doesn't always happen. I shot 64 this year after not touching a club for 2 weeks. I guess my swing is just ingrained in me.

Yep.

I've gone as long as a year without touching a club (military deployments), and shot within a stroke or two of my handicap the first time out, with nothing more than a normal 20 ball warm-up and rolling a few putts before hitting the first tee.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Usually twice a week at the range, once at the short game practice area (chipping and/or putting), and 1 round a week is what it takes me.  Finally bit the bullet and joined a local club so hoping to get out more next year.

19 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

Your level?

For me it's a few backyard swings a day maybe ten minutes and I can maintain my feel/score.  I have reached a time where MUCH more is required to truly improve by a few strokes and to me it's not worth it.  I am ok with having a good day be getting close to or breaking 80 without excessive time investment.  That's my answer...

Depends upon how I want to score?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

As someone who started playing golf at age 40 I need a 45 minute range session during the week,  a small bag of balls just before playing, and 1 one/week to stay in the mid-80's to mid-90's and maintain my 17ish handicap.  I suffer from golf muscle amnesia and have to hit some balls to get my swing back (such that it is).  I envy those that have played since their early years and can just pick up a club after a long layoff and swing away.  I am a basket case each April getting started again and it takes me a about 5 range sessions before I will play a round of golf.    

I practice until I feel I'm no longer making much progress, then I take a little break and do something else.

@Jack Watson good topic

To stay where I am currently (9-10), I pretty much just play once a week and hit the range once a month.  When I was at a 6-7, it was range once a week and 27 holes a week.  I haven’t had time for that these past 2 seasons, so just happy to get out and play once a week and card some good scores here and there

It is not hard to keep my level of play these days as it is not a high level anymore. I play three times a week with no range time at all. I no longer play in tournaments and the only play is with my wife and what used to be two friends. Both are now physically unable to golf so it is just the wife and me. We play for the exercise and just being outside and to enjoy the tree lined course we play 3X a week.

Note: This thread is 2340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!