IGNORED

correct or preferred way to "drop"

Hacker James
Note: This thread is 2338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Admittedly, I am not much of a rules person knowing only the basics and common sense ones, but I recently viewed some old clips concerning dropping  a ball where the player would drop from behind his shoulder.  Recent times, shows players simply extending their arm straight out and making the drop. Secondarily, what prevents them from imparting a bit of spin on the ball when they drop (potentially unobserved) ?

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

c.mon man...my question was not all that stupid.  I really am curious.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

20-2. Dropping and Re-Dropping

a. By Whom and How

A ball to be dropped under the Rules must be dropped by the player himself. He must stand erect, hold the ball at shoulder height and arm's length and drop it. If a ball is dropped by any other person or in any other manner and the error is not corrected as provided in Rule 20-6, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

29 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

20-2. Dropping and Re-Dropping

a. By Whom and How

A ball to be dropped under the Rules must be dropped by the player himself. He must stand erect, hold the ball at shoulder height and arm's length and drop it. If a ball is dropped by any other person or in any other manner and the error is not corrected as provided in Rule 20-6, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke.

Thanks.Its just those old films where they dropped it behind their back. I guess somewhere along the line they adopted the current rule.  Bygone era along with the "stymie".

"James"

35 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

I guess somewhere along the line they adopted the current rule.

Dropping over the shoulder was replaced in 1984.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

As others have noted - how to drop and when/where you can just place the ball is clearly described in the rules. You can often see the process watching pros drop during televised tournaments.

and it’s about to change dramatically soon anyway. There’s really nothing to stop you from imparting spin other than sportsmanship, like many golf rules. 

Edited by Midpack

3 hours ago, Hacker James said:

Secondarily, what prevents them from imparting a bit of spin on the ball when they drop (potentially unobserved) ?

1 hour ago, Midpack said:

There’s really nothing to stop you from imparting spin other than sportsmanship, like many golf rules. 

Decision from RoG:

20-2a/2

Spinning Ball When Dropping

Q.A player puts spin on a ball purposely when dropping it. What is the ruling?

A.The player incurs a penalty of one stroke under Rule 20-2a for dropping the ball in an improper manner, unless he corrects his mistake as permitted by Rule 20-6.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

19 hours ago, Hacker James said:

Admittedly, I am not much of a rules person knowing only the basics and common sense ones, but I recently viewed some old clips concerning dropping  a ball where the player would drop from behind his shoulder.  Recent times, shows players simply extending their arm straight out and making the drop. Secondarily, what prevents them from imparting a bit of spin on the ball when they drop (potentially unobserved) ?

Imparting any spin when you drop is specifically prohibited in the rules.  Certainly it can be done, but it's also pretty obvious, so doing it when someone is paying attention without them noticing what you did would be difficult. 

I played in the "drop over your shoulder" era, and that ensured that the player couldn't accurately aim for a particular spot.  In my experience, it's still mostly a crap shoot when trying to get the ball to hit a certain spot.  The ball bounces as it will, and that is usually not toward the hoped for spot.

If the proposed rule is approved for 2019, you will almost be able to place the ball when dropping... the proposal would only require the player to have some air between the ball and the ground, even if it's only an inch.  Suddenly any randomness goes out the window as far as dropping is concerned.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

5 hours ago, Fourputt said:

If the proposed rule is approved for 2019, you will almost be able to place the ball when dropping... the proposal would only require the player to have some air between the ball and the ground, even if it's only an inch.  Suddenly any randomness goes out the window as far as dropping is concerned.

I believe that some level of unpredictability is appropriate, and the proposed new rule would almost eliminate that.   I know I responded to the USGA survey, criticizing the proposed rule for just that reason.  I'm hoping (not too optimistically) that many others have done the same, and that the USGA will require a minimum height for the drop.  Time will tell.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I don't think that will truly eliminate all randomness.

Balls can still, even under their own weight, fall to the bottom of Bermuda or other types of grass.

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I believe that some level of unpredictability is appropriate, and the proposed new rule would almost eliminate that.   I know I responded to the USGA survey, criticizing the proposed rule for just that reason.  I'm hoping (not too optimistically) that many others have done the same, and that the USGA will require a minimum height for the drop.  Time will tell.

Their goal, I think, is to minimize the chances of needing to re-drop. The ball has to be dropped and stay in the small area. Dropping from some minimum height increases the chances it'll bounce outside of that area. Plus now you're adding another measurement that people need to know… and be able to measure, somewhat accurately, on the fly.

They could have maybe said "knee height" but then again, some golfers don't have knees, and of those who do everyone's knees are a different height (not listed in order of relevance :-)).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

They could have maybe said "knee height" but then again, some golfers don't have knees, and of those who do everyone's knees are a different height (not listed in order of relevance :-)).

My thought was a minimum of 20 inches, which is a measurement already included in the proposed changes.  It's also in the ballpark of knee high for most people.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

My thought was a minimum of 20 inches, which is a measurement already included in the proposed changes.  It's also in the ballpark of knee high for most people.

Yeah, but they can measure out the 20" on the ground, but then what… hold something while simultaneously dropping?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:19 AM, dennyjones said:

In 2019, if the rule changes really happen, you'll be able to drop the ball a few centimeters above the grass.

Mark Crossfield has been playing 2019 rules all year! man's a legend :-D

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

12 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Wouldn't it be easier if they just said 1 club length? Then you can hold your putter out to measure with. Or even just stand fully erect with your arm fully extended or something?

I had to drop three times to get relief from a cart path on Saturday; kind of silly just to move the ball a couple of feet.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!