IGNORED

Are You a Brand Snob?

PaddyMac
Note: This thread is 1673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Brand Snobbery  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a brand snob? Do you favor the Titleists/Callaways/TaylorMades/etc. over the Snells/RAMs/Wishons/etc.?

• Yes
    • No
    • Ehhhhhh…

56 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

I almost went with "ehh" or "no" in the poll because I do actually have a Ping driver and 3 wood. I went to a fitting and decided to just go with what the guy told me. My numbers with the G30 LST were much better than any other drivers, so I went with that. Then I went and got the three wood to go with it too. I'm now toying with a G400, because there is too much money in my bank account (hahahahahahahaha - I wish!) Prior to that fitting, I would not have considered Ping for anything other than a putter. Even their putters I haven't been too impressed with their stuff lately, but the Anser 2 was a legendary thing.

I have mostly old Ping stuff.  Some wooden Eye2 woods & ISI woods.  Eye2 & ISI irons but not the Zings...  I don't know anyone who likes the Zing 2's... ugly!

I have some B60 putters and like them!  Copper & Nickel.  A couple of Ansers.. a 1 & 2 and a WRX Ti2.  Ping did make good putters back then.  Haven't looked at new ones in a long time.

Was and still am a Ping Snob for sure!

Best thing I ever did was when I bought my first setup, I was in the store and had the sales guy tape up all the names of the clubs I was trying so I wouldn't pick a Big Brand name...

Pure feel and data made the choice and it turned out to be a Ram set.

Years later and many clubs added to the collection I traded that set to a buddy for a mountain bike!

Edited by Vinny Cap

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/1/2017 at 3:57 PM, iacas said:

Again, that's not what the topic is about.

It's about choosing Titleist and Bridgestone and whatever over Snell, RAM, etc.

So me being a "Exotics Staff Player", doesn't make me a "brand snob"?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On 11/1/2017 at 3:34 PM, dennyjones said:

When I was fitted for a driver, the fitter suggested that I try Tour Edge Exotics.   I wasn't familiar with the brand and didn't take his suggestion.   I'm not currently a brand snob but there are some brands I wouldn't play. maybe I am a snob...so be it.   

They're good clubs. Fairways and hybrids are awesome. If you want some more information, send me a PM and I'll give you some more information on them. 

I don't know that I would be the kind of person that would pick a brand (i.e. Titleist, TaylorMade, PING, etc.) over the other guys (Snell, Tour Edge, Wishon, Maltby, BombTech, etc), just based on "marketing and hype".

When I got fit a couple years ago, I tried all the big guys, and it wasn't the right fit for me. I decided to stick to Exotics, because in reality they were the only clubs that had any noticeable improvement on what I had at the time (XRail woods and hybrids, and CU irons, which were great).

But I don't know about being a brand snob because of this. I definitely am not a brand snob when it comes to golf balls. I'm never married to one, actually I probably switch a lot more than I should. I'm always tinkering and testing.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

I like Titleist equipment, but my bag also has a bunch of Callaway, and I am trying out some Srixon and Wilson balls. I have used the Wilson Duo before with vintage equipment and am giving it a try with modern stuff. I usually wind up back with Titleist though.

Back in the 70's-early 80's, Wilson and MacGregor were very high profile in marketing as far as equipment, though their balls were not as good as Titleist. Wilson has never gone away, but did seem to wander in the wilderness for a few years. It is good to see them making some more mainstream products of late.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

On 11/1/2017 at 11:28 AM, iacas said:

Right. People are not reading the question properly.

The question is NOT "are you a ONE-BRAND snob?"

So basically, you're a brand snob unless your gaming a Dunlop? I guess I AM a brand snob.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Over the years I have played Wilson, Ram, Cobra, Callaway, Dynacraft, Golfsmith, Bang golf, Geek Golf, Titleist, Mizuno, Wishon Golf, Srixon and more than a few more small companies. If something catches my eye I will try it out. Although some of the gadgers that are advertised on golf sites and Magazines I do pass on. 

Nope, I am a reverse brand snob. I just came back to the game after many years and have no desire to drop tons of money on gear. Once I played several rounds with my 12 year old, no-name fitted irons I decided to replace them.

my new irons are Gigagolf TRX Powerslots and I got their P3 driver. The only name brand clubs I have are an old Srixon 3 wood and a 17* Mizuno hybrid. I’ll probably replace them eventually with either GG or Pinemeadow.

I like the funky brands. If I ever get good and start breaking 100 on a regular basis maybe I’ll rethink that. But I doubt it.

Gifts are always welcome though.

Edited by tehuti

I definitely gravitate towards Mizuno...Thinking about their new driver. But Callaway has to be on my preferred list too...My driver is great (I also have a newer Nike) and golf balls generally are their low to mid-compression balls. So my answer has to be "kinda". -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Last dozen balls I purchased were "Nitros" at about 5 bucks a dozen at WalMart! They go like hell! Wasn't happy with my current putter. Found an old one in my closet, a "Pal Joey Scoremaker"! Anybody remember the Pal Joey brand? Putts great!  Kind of been in the market for a 5 wood. Out of the closet comes my old, persimmon 4 wood! Remember the 4 wood? Back in the day I had a set of woods built for me. In those days you got a Driver, 3 wood and 4 wood! You just didn't see any 5 woods around!

This thing is gorgeous, I should post pics! Oddly enough, the head of this old 4 wood is still smaller than present day 5 woods!

I dunno...looks like I may becoming one. I am building an all Tour Edge ensemble it would seem. For awhile it was TM. Heck I even bought a complete set including bag of Top Flight (actually a pretty decent set for the money), gave it to my grandson though.  When I worked at Acushnet, of course it was Titleist DCI Blacks.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Hacker James said:

I dunno...looks like I may becoming one. I am building an all Tour Edge ensemble it would seem. For awhile it was TM. Heck I even bought a complete set including bag of Top Flight (actually a pretty decent set for the money), gave it to my grandson though.  When I worked at Acushnet, of course it was Titleist DCI Blacks.

TourEdge and Top-Flite don't count as high-end brands.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted "Ehhhh"  Look at my signature and the equipment listed there, and decide for yourself? :-)

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

I voted "Ehhhh"  Look at my signature and the equipment listed there, and decide for yourself? :-)

You should have voted yes. Callaway and Mizuno are big brands.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

TourEdge and Top-Flite don't count as high-end brands.

I beg to differ about Tour Edge Erik. Maybe as whole brand. But the Exotics line is as good as the big boys who spend millions on marketing.

• Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Note: This thread is 1673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!