IGNORED

2018 Tiger Debut - San Diego Open (Farmer's Insurance)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger's 2018 Debut  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Tiger finish in his 2018 debut?

• WD in first two rounds
    • MCs
    • Makes cut, WD in last two rounds
    • Makes cut, finishes 50th+
    • Finishes middle third (25th to 50th, roughly)
    • Top 20
    • Top 10
    • Top 5
    • Wins

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/26/2018 at 06:16 PM

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, chspeed said:

I didn't say that - I said he was never accurate. I think in his prime, he was very, very effective with the driver. Great? Well, that's relative.

Strokes Gained Driving has him with rankings of 9, 15, 8, 4, 4, 2, 21, and 6 if you ignore the 2010/2011 years, where he slipped in every category (yes, slipping to all of FOURTH in approach shots, ouch) compared to his average.

That's a strokes gained ranking average of 8.6th. That's elite.

Tiger Woods can be and was, for at least 8 seasons (and probably way more than that since the chart doesn't start until 2003) an elite driver on the PGA Tour.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Those are pro misses. If he can squeeze it down to 10-15 yards off line, then he can play around that and contend again. He cant contend if he's hitting the driver on other holes. 

No, he's never been a great driver of the ball, i agree. But where he's been over the last 5-6 years are crazy wild misses that we see from a professional maybe a fews times all week. Its 4-5 times a round with tiger. 

Actually, if you look at his stats around the early 2000s, he was THE best driver of the golf ball. Drove it 300 yards and hit 71% of his fairways in 2000. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Lol

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just now, jbishop15 said:

Actually, if you look at his stats around the early 2000s, he was THE best driver of the golf ball. Drove it 300 yards and hit 71% of his fairways in 2000. 

I think most of us agree that those were his unicorn years :-$

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Strokes Gained Driving has him with rankings of 9, 15, 8, 4, 4, 2, 21, and 6 if you ignore the 2010/2011 years, where he slipped in every category (yes, slipping to all of FOURTH in approach shots, ouch) compared to his average.

That's a strokes gained ranking average of 8.6th. That's elite.

That is elite - agreed. I wonder if a lot of that had to do with his length compared to the rest of the field. I just peeked at a couple of those years, and he was #2 in 2005, #6 in 2006.

5 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

Wow.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I think most of us agree that those were his unicorn years :-$

Uhhh, so… 1997-2009 were his unicorn years?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

33 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

2000-02 were his double unicorn years. 

You mess with the Double Unicorn, you get THE HORNS!!!!

ClCKJ52XEAQF9gM.jpg

14 hours ago, iacas said:

But Holmes should have been penalized. I'm sorry, but that was "undue delay." It was unfair to his playing partners.

But neither of them could have called him out or they'd have gotten the bad reputation. :-P

Interestingly, not everyone held their tongue (still not the playing partners)

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/01/28/luke-donald-sluggish-final-group-farmers-we-can-all-blame-jb-holmes

Colin P.

18 minutes ago, colin007 said:

You mess with the Double Unicorn, you get THE HORNS!!!!

ClCKJ52XEAQF9gM.jpg

Interestingly, not everyone held their tongue (still not the playing partners)

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/01/28/luke-donald-sluggish-final-group-farmers-we-can-all-blame-jb-holmes

Like I pointed out in the 6 hour thread, I agree with all of their comments, but just want to point out that they were not a hole behind the group in front.

(If there were 19 holes they likely would have been though) ;)

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I think it bodes incredibly well. Without hitting a driver well at all, he finished T24 and +6 strokes gained for the week.

You don't think the GOAT can figure out how to hit a driver again?

This week was an absolute F grade for driving.  it wasn't just that he was only hitting 3 fairways a day, but his misses were huge misses.  

That said, he can still bomb it.   That 358 yd drive on #1 yesterday was a monster.  I have to assume that as long as health holds up (and we saw no reason this week it wont), he'll get that Driver dialed in, and he'll be making a run at being a top 10 player in the world by the end of the year. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

As bad as he sprayed it off the tee, for him to finish as well as he did and not have one round over par is pretty encouraging.

Plus he's pain free.  Don't know if you could have expected or wanted more out of Tiger.  I was just hoping for him to make the cut and finish 4 rounds healthy.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

3 minutes ago, lastings said:

This week was an absolute F grade for driving.  it wasn't just that he was only hitting 3 fairways a day, but his misses were huge misses.  

That said, he can still bomb it.   That 358 yd drive on #1 yesterday was a monster.  I have to assume that as long as health holds up (and we saw no reason this week it wont), he'll get that Driver dialed in, and he'll be making a run at being a top 10 player in the world by the end of the year. 

Agree on the top 10... Hell be might actually win a major, if he gets that driver sorted out. (Which he will) He might win before the Masters +The Masters.

Speaking on 2000, It was crazy, how much better than everyone else he was. I see that someone measured driving.. The joke was the Tiger was trying to take Fred Funk's title

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
1 minute ago, NCGolfer said:

As bad as he sprayed it off the tee, for him to finish as well as he did and not have one round over par is pretty encouraging.

True dat. How many people could say they didn't have a round over par this week?

11 minutes ago, lastings said:

He gained strokes for the week off the tee. I don't think that's an F. He definitely hit some wild ones, but not enough to have him losing strokes off the tee (on average for the week at any rate)

I think just making the cut in his first real tournament back, without any back issues raising their ugly head, was the biggest plus for Tiger. He finished around about where i expected him to finish so its a solid base for him to improve from.

Still think he has the odd win or two in him. Has he announced where he'll play next?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

6 minutes ago, RussUK said:

I think just making the cut in his first real tournament back, without any back issues raising their ugly head, was the biggest plus for Tiger. He finished around about where i expected him to finish so its a solid base for him to improve from.

Still think he has the odd win or two in him. Has he announced where he'll play next?

Riviera at the Genesis Open.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Playoff!  They just mentioned that there are no breakfast balls for this group, although it might happen on the North course.  Are public tee times back on the North course today?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 2286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!