IGNORED

6+ Hour PGA Tour Rounds

iacas
Note: This thread is 2253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm usually fine with slow play with Tour players, because I understand that it's difficult to play on those courses and in those conditions. But four and a half minutes to hit a shot is just the craziest bullshit imaginable. 

First time I can ever remember Nantz and Faldo being openly exasperated with a player. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

6 hour round on Torrey South... That's not unusual on a Sunday.  No one plays there any more, it's way too crowded. ;-)

Ummm if no one plays there why is it so crowded?

Anywho, while I am not a proponent for sprinting around a golf course, shouldn't 4-4.5 hours be sufficient for a threesome to navigate 18? Reminds me of the time I asked one of the high school kids around here why their tournament rounds take so long (5-5.5 hours. He replied, "It's a tournament it takes longer to play." I never understood that mentality, I play all rounds the same, I don't slow down and take more time because it's a tournament. I shot 68- 72 in our club championship last year both rounds were 3:45 as a threesome.

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 minute ago, NM Golf said:

Ummm if no one plays there why is it so crowded?

I really should give credit, that statement you bolded comes from Yogi Berra.  I was thinking that goes without saying but not everyone here is as old as I am.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I really should give credit, that statement you bolded comes from Yogi Berra.  I was thinking that goes without saying but not everyone here is as old as I am.

That's great, because You can observe a lot by just watching and It aint over till it's over. Not to mention the great advise when you come to a fork in the road, take it. :-P

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

When JB took that second shot, I said out loud "all that for nothing" as the commentator was saying the exact same thing. HAHA. That finish took so long, I actually changed the channel and did not come back. By then I truly didn't care who won any more. And I still don't, so don't tell me who won (until I get home and watch the recording).

After what he said about his delay, JB is a douche.  Not even an apology to Nolen?  Come on, dude!  Have some common courtesy.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Yukari said:

After what he said about his delay, JB is a douche.  Not even an apology to Nolen?  Come on, dude!  Have some common courtesy.

I'm not a fan.

Were I previously, this would have changed my opinion.

JB lost or turned a lot of fans on Sunday, I think.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm not a fan.

Were I previously, this would have changed my opinion.

JB lost or turned a lot of fans on Sunday, I think.

I can see why he turned a lot of fans off on Sunday.  I was ambivalent towards JB.  But now after that, definitely not on the fan side. 

I feel bad for Noren.  If he didn't have to wait that long, he may have had a much better approach and possibly a birdie to win outright in regulation.

Don

1 hour ago, Yukari said:

His actions were out of line and I join with those who lost some respect for him yesterday ... but I disagree that his comments about the actions were out of line.  And it goes along with my disagreement with the idea (in the strategy thread) that he was "playing for second place."

He was absolutely still trying to win the tournament and absolutely ended up choosing the strategy that HE THOUGHT was the best to accomplish that goal.  He just made a horrible decision and went about it in a horrible and painfully slow way.

And I'm on board with those who say he should be punished with a fine or something.

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

His actions were out of line and I join with those who lost some respect for him yesterday ... but I disagree that his comments about the actions were out of line.  And it goes along with my disagreement with the idea (in the strategy thread) that he was "playing for second place."

He was absolutely still trying to win the tournament and absolutely ended up choosing the strategy that HE THOUGHT was the best to accomplish that goal.  He just made a horrible decision and went about it in a horrible and painfully slow way.

And I'm on board with those who say he should be punished with a fine or something.

I didn't say his comments about the actions were out of line.  Simply that not even acknowledging his actions may have affected Noren's next shot is a douche move.  He should have apologized to Noren for taking so long, but not even a word to Noren for taking so long.  That's a douche move and shows no courtesy/respect to his playing partner.

Don

How is the European Tour shot clock going to work? Are they going to have an official with a stopwatch with each group? Or are they going to have a clock on every hole like the play clock in the NFL?

34 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I didn't say his comments about the actions were out of line.  Simply that not even acknowledging his actions may have affected Noren's next shot is a douche move.  He should have apologized to Noren for taking so long, but not even a word to Noren for taking so long.  That's a douche move and shows no courtesy/respect to his playing partner.

I guess I didn't phrase it right.  I'm saying that I don't think that him not apologizing but instead just saying "I was trying to win the tournament" when asked 5-10 minutes or whatever after he just lost the tournament was a douche move.

Taking the 4 minutes to play the shot at all is what shows a lack of respect and courtesy for the other players (and fans too).  That was the douche move.  His answer to the question afterwards was just, IMO, honest.

I wouldn't be surprised if, now that he's had a chance to look back, when he's asked again at the next tournament, he'll recognize the error of his ways.

What I'm reading here makes me more and more glad that I decided to slog around a swamp of a course with my buddies and then go eat some Mexican food. My original plan was to watch the tourney.

I don't know if this is true, but I heard the opinion expressed that one of the problems Tiger was having at Torrey Pines was adjusting to the SSSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLOWWWWWWW pace of play.

As for the PGA Tour, the longer the better as far as I am concerned......as long as they keep the coverage going of course

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Note: This thread is 2253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!