IGNORED

Your Golf Game - The Uplifting Topic

iacas

My son and I signed up for a league, so I will now be "forced" to play more. Forced in that sometimes I will chose not to play if everything is not perfect (weather, my fatigue level, other stuff going on).  Now that I have made a commitment, I will plan around it and at least get 9 holes a week in. The commitment will also make me practice more and play more no league rounds.

War Eagle!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With the current self quarantine stuff going on, my golfing Granddaughter school year ended quite early. This gave both of us lots of time to work on the various aspects of our games, together. Emphasis on "Together". 

With no d-ranges open, we have been utilizing the local dry lake bed area for full swing practices a couple times a week.

We hit tee'd up balls with our metalwoods for the most part. Practiced shots include full swing, for distance shots, and punch shots.

It's fun for us to be out hitting balls together, but she also takes this as serious practice time. She's really become interested in playing golf. 

We take videos of her swing, and through the magic of technology, she sends them to her long swing golf pro guru. Working from home, he checks them out, and gives her feed back on improvements based on what he sees.

Its just not hitting balls into the wide exspanse of the dry lake bed either. We set up targets down range that simulates a fairway width. The idea being to land balls between the targets. Orange cones work quite well as side line markers. A chunk sage brush usually doubles as an aiming target. 

We work on our stances postures, aims, tempo/timing, basically using our own preshot routines. 

These sessions usually last a little over an hour. We have missed a week here and there due to seasonal rains. The dry lake, is not always dry.  

On a funnier note,  she was quite surprised, and excited at her increased distances with all her clubs. We would verify theses distances using a range finder when retrieving balls. It was with a some what heavy heart that I had to explain the increased roll out after the carry was due to the firmness of the dry lake bed. I also let her know, that due to this extra practice time,  she will see some extra distance, once she can practice on grass again. 

Towards the end of our little golf get together, we throw dow a quality piece of synthetic turf, and we have a little wedge, closest to the marker competition. She's beginning to push me on these 20.- 50 yard shots. 

Of course to keep peace in the family, I also spend time shooting baskets in the drive way with our youngest Granddaughter. I can't remember the last time I won a game of H.O.R.S.E.. My body hasn't been 14 years old in several decades. Her "no mercy" moves are no longer a part of my physical attrubutes....lol

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

19 hours ago, Patch said:

With the current self quarantine stuff going on, my golfing Granddaughter school year ended quite early. This gave both of us lots of time to work on the various aspects of our games, together. Emphasis on "Together". 

With no d-ranges open, we have been utilizing the local dry lake bed area for full swing practices a couple times a week.

We hit tee'd up balls with our metalwoods for the most part. Practiced shots include full swing, for distance shots, and punch shots.

It's fun for us to be out hitting balls together, but she also takes this as serious practice time. She's really become interested in playing golf. 

We take videos of her swing, and through the magic of technology, she sends them to her long swing golf pro guru. Working from home, he checks them out, and gives her feed back on improvements based on what he sees.

Its just not hitting balls into the wide exspanse of the dry lake bed either. We set up targets down range that simulates a fairway width. The idea being to land balls between the targets. Orange cones work quite well as side line markers. A chunk sage brush usually doubles as an aiming target. 

We work on our stances postures, aims, tempo/timing, basically using our own preshot routines. 

These sessions usually last a little over an hour. We have missed a week here and there due to seasonal rains. The dry lake, is not always dry.  

On a funnier note,  she was quite surprised, and excited at her increased distances with all her clubs. We would verify theses distances using a range finder when retrieving balls. It was with a some what heavy heart that I had to explain the increased roll out after the carry was due to the firmness of the dry lake bed. I also let her know, that due to this extra practice time,  she will see some extra distance, once she can practice on grass again. 

Towards the end of our little golf get together, we throw dow a quality piece of synthetic turf, and we have a little wedge, closest to the marker competition. She's beginning to push me on these 20.- 50 yard shots. 

Of course to keep peace in the family, I also spend time shooting baskets in the drive way with our youngest Granddaughter. I can't remember the last time I won a game of H.O.R.S.E.. My body hasn't been 14 years old in several decades. Her "no mercy" moves are no longer a part of my physical attrubutes....lol

Quality family time is precious.   I'm glad you're enjoying it.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Disappointing round yesterday. I was -1 after five holes having birdied the first. Then she came back. Yes...her. ‘ Lucy’, the all too familiar s***k maiden. Great shot followed by Lucy wanting another donation. Scrambled for bogey most the time with some blow up holes where I took Lucy to dinner... finished, no surrendered with an 88.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Disappointing round yesterday. I was -1 after five holes having birdied the first. Then she came back. Yes...her. ‘ Lucy’, the all too familiar s***k maiden. Great shot followed by Lucy wanting another donation. Scrambled for bogey most the time with some blow up holes where I took Lucy to dinner... finished, no surrendered with an 88.

Is your profile picture 'Lucy' ? That's about how I pictured her to look in my head.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

25 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Have you looked into divorcing Lucy?  Or having a hitman take her out?

21 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Have you looked into divorcing Lucy?  Or having a hitman take her out?

Around 1990...hitting a Mizuno sand wedge in an open field across where I lived in college...I met her. I had the privilege to take golf as an easy credit at OkSt. I was at the top of my game when I met her. She’s been with me ever since. She makes Jason from Friday the 13th look like a daffodil. 

She allows me occasional breaks. I have to be cautious of showing any excitement or positivity prior or during a round. She’s tight with the Golf Gods. One under after five...I should’ve been more careful. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

32 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Around 1990...hitting a Mizuno sand wedge in an open field across where I lived in college...I met her. I had the privilege to take golf as an easy credit at OkSt. I was at the top of my game when I met her. She’s been with me ever since. She makes Jason from Friday the 13th look like a daffodil. 

She allows me occasional breaks. I have to be cautious of showing any excitement or positivity prior or during a round. She’s tight with the Golf Gods. One under after five...I should’ve been more careful. 

😄 So you guys are approaching your Golden wedding anniversary... Uh, Silver... make that Silver.  did she make your heart skip a beat when you first saw her?

Edited by Double Mocha Man

I have been able to get at least two of my four youngest children into playing golf.  Drew, the youngest triplet, is a rabid golfer, and is really making solid contact into the net.  Yesterday, he was hitting gorgeous flop shots with his U.S.K.G. pitching wedge - not a lob wedge - around the yard.  My oldest triplet, Caitlin, likes to hit balls into the net, and she has no fear of swinging the club fast.  She's a bit of a goat-humper though, so I'm working with her to keep her spine angle.  The others will grab a club every so often, so hopefully they catch the bug too.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Thank you for not uttering the "S" word. It is the most profane of all golf words next to the "Y" word.

• Like 1

- Shane

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

😄 So you guys are approaching your Golden wedding anniversary... Uh, Silver... make that Silver.  did she make your heart skip a beat when you first saw her?

Lol! Classic ‘Mocha.....classic!

• 2 weeks later...

I played in a golf league for the first time in about 20 years. I had fun, shot better than I expected (48), and beat my son straight up who has bragged he would have to give me strokes. He can hit it a lot further than I can, but I kept my drive in the fairway and he went OB multiple times.  Putter was decent until the last whole, my only 3 putt.

War Eagle!

T

On 4/29/2020 at 9:12 AM, Vinsk said:

Watched an old Miami Vice Episode where an ex-cop goes nuts and ends up calling his computer Lorraine, lol. Instantly reminded me of that.

Put Lucy away and leave her alone!

Colbert Hills Municipal, Manhattan, Kansas

My company is treating me to a "Day of Golf" with the CEO next week at Colbert Hills in Manhattan, Kansas. 

I have never met the CEO and they decided to give the "Retired Old Man" a treat for working for them. 

Needless to say, I am ecstatic!

Our Tee time is next Wednesday at 1 pm. Should be in the 80's and partly cloudy. 

I will let you know how it turns out. (I keep thinking of Bill Murray in Caddy Shack 😄 ) 

I will definitely bu some new golf balls for this event. 

Retired Old Man

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

On 4/28/2020 at 11:47 AM, Patch said:

😁 This reminds me of shooting hoops with the daughter of the owners of the company in their driveway. I was in my early to mid-40's at the time, and the girl was about 10 I guess. I'd try to teach her about the game. I once over heard her her tell her Mom, "If Gary would practice, he could be really good!" I just had to chuckle. 

Back in the day, I could play me some Bball! I could dunk a volleyball at 5'9". I could run the length of a regulation college court in 3.4 seconds. This was verified by the YSU coach at the time, Dom Rosselli. 

Eventually, I explained to the young lady that I "used to be" good. At around 10 years old, she had no idea about "used to be"! 

• 3 weeks later...

My brother and I hit the practice areas today for the ultimate two-hour grind. We spent about 45 minutes on the range, a large bucket (~85 balls) for each of us. I wanted to just keep my swing grooved, so I hit mostly irons and wedges, few drivers/woods.

Then we went down to the green and spent about an hour chipping and putting. I hit some great chips and putts, and at the end of our long practice session, we were both worn out from the grind. Y’all know that feeling. You’re exhausted after golf, but it feels great at the same time.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I took a 10 on a par 5 in league play this week. But a big part of the reason for that is I hit my driver too far and through a dogleg and into water. Yes, that really onluy accounted for 1 extra stroke and I made mental and physical mistakes after that shot, but I am focusing on how for the second time in a row on this hole I have hit it through the dogleg. I am hitting my driver better than ever. Now I have to either learn to hit a fade on purpose or start hitting a hybrid off the tee. I still had my best round of the year in league play even with the 10.

War Eagle!