iacas

Your Golf Game - The Uplifting Topic

167 posts in this topic Last Reply

Someone flipped on the winter switch here in my part of Wisconsin and it is snowing outside. The good news is that I’ve been able to make some additions and adjustments to the clubs in my bag. Fun to play around with different options in the winter months, sort and swap out options, sell or trade off old or not needed clubs and replace them with something else. I’m looking forward to hitting the range again and figuring out my new distances with these clubs currently in the bag.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

For the past several months (60 rounds) I have been playing pretty good golf. Pretty good for me anyways. 

Like others, who keep a registered handicap, I enter my scores, course, and slope ratings into my home course's data base, who in turn, keeps my handicap updated. This being the handicap I would use when playing in their sanctioned tournaments. 

I signed up the other day to play in an upcoming tournament. While at the course this morning I looked up the schedule for my starting time, and if I knew the guy I would be sharing the cart with. 9am, hole #7. I did not recognize my partener's name. 

What really stood out was that my handicap had dropped considerably. So much in fact, I thought there was a mistake. I went to the guy in chatge of such things, to find out what was up. 

We spent about 20 minutes going over the data I had been entering from the different courses I had been playing.  He said everything looked good, and that my handicap was correct.  I took his word for it. 

I don't profess to know how all the different data plays out. Playing tougher, or easier courses I know has a lot to do with changes.  I also know the formula, but I have always just let the folks in charge of the math figure it out.  

I am quite pleased with my current game. I have been playing well, which in part, is because I have stayed injury free, and other wise healthy. 

The fact that a single digit handicap is "sort of, kind of maybe"  in reach is more than just a surprise.

However, I not going to do much of anything different. Just going to continue to play and practice as usual while letting my swing do it's thing. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

42 minutes ago, Patch said:

For the past several months (60 rounds) I have been playing pretty good golf. Pretty good for me anyways. 

Like others, who keep a registered handicap, I enter my scores, course, and slope ratings into my home course's data base, who in turn, keeps my handicap updated. This being the handicap I would use when playing in their sanctioned tournaments. 

I signed up the other day to play in an upcoming tournament. While at the course this morning I looked up the schedule for my starting time, and if I knew the guy I would be sharing the cart with. 9am, hole #7. I did not recognize my partener's name. 

What really stood out was that my handicap had dropped considerably. So much in fact, I thought there was a mistake. I went to the guy in chatge of such things, to find out what was up. 

We spent about 20 minutes going over the data I had been entering from the different courses I had been playing.  He said everything looked good, and that my handicap was correct.  I took his word for it. 

I don't profess to know how all the different data plays out. Playing tougher, or easier courses I know has a lot to do with changes.  I also know the formula, but I have always just let the folks in charge of the math figure it out.  

I am quite pleased with my current game. I have been playing well, which in part, is because I have stayed injury free, and other wise healthy. 

The fact that a single digit handicap is "sort of, kind of maybe"  in reach is more than just a surprise.

However, I not going to do much of anything different. Just going to continue to play and practice as usual while letting my swing do it's thing. 

Congratulations on your decreasing handicap!  It sounds like "business as usual" is working for you.  Sometimes good things happen when we're not specifically trying to achieve them.

19 hours ago, Patch said:

Congratulations! Playing well within yourself seems to be working for me as well, but to a lesser degree than you...

18 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Congratulations on your decreasing handicap!  It sounds like "business as usual" is working for you.  Sometimes good things happen when we're not specifically trying to achieve them.

Sometimes you can even see when people are trying too hard even swing by swing.

The other day I was playing, and my wife was with me . she was not playing, just driving the cart. 

I was playing with a couple of strangers, and was holding my own, score wise. My wife was watching, and keeping my score.

During our time together during this round, we talked vey little about golf. We spent the time discussing family stuff. Like any family, our family is going through some stuff, both good, and bad. Three family members, representing three generations are dealing with some serious medical issues. 

Occasionally she would tell me athat I hit a good shot. On other occassions she would look at me, and hold her nose, and laugh a little. On two shots, she was more specific calling me a "lucky shit". 

As I finished up on the 18th green, and was walking back to the cart, I noticed what appeared to be, my Special Lady wiping a  tear, or two from her eyes. 

I asked what the problem was. She told me it was nothing, that she was just remembering that just a few years ago, she and other experts believed that due to my poor physical health, that golf was not going to be a part my future.

The tears were there because she had finally seen, that I had truly beaten the odds. That my passion for the game had helped to make me healthier, beyond medical expectations. 

The fact that she had me down for a 78, and winning enough skins for a nice lunch together afterwards, was also a plus.

We all play this game for various reasons. We all have different styles of play. We all have different abilities. We all take away something different after a round of play. 

Me, I play to stay healthy, which is a "serious" enough reason for me. The fun part is just extra gravy.