IGNORED

Fan Ejected by Justin Thomas - Right, Wrong or Indifferent

divot dave

Note: This thread is 1284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the fan ejection by Justin Thomas. Do you think he was right for doing so? Is this type of fan behavior a trend that could get out of hand? 

I guess I'm a little iffy where I stand. Given the rowdy environments of some of the other tournaments, is it asking too much to have a little thicker skin out there? On the other hand, I can see the merit of preserving etiquette of the outing. It was just suggested on the Golf Channel to have a sort of Fan Code of Conduct, which might be a great idea on a per venue basis. 

What are your thoughts?

Edited by divot dave
re-word for clarity

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I didn't hear exactly what he said, but apparently he was openly rooting against JT, asking for the ball to get into the bunker.  He didn't disrupt the swing, so its just a bit of poor form, instead of being totally obnoxious.  I suppose its kind of on the line, as opposed to way over the line.

• Administrator

Supposedly the hole before, or between holes, he said he hoped JT hit it in the water. Then after the tee shot was struck, he wished for it to go into the bunker.

I'm fine with JT kicking the guy out, but at the same time, now Europe knows he's got  pretty thin skin… Come Ryder Cup time, hmmm…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Nothing better to do than troll a PGA tour player? Pretty strange behavior, I wouldn't want that guy around.

JT did himself and everyone there a favor.

• Thumbs Up 1

It makes a difference to me that the story says he did it for more than one hole. Maybe you ignore it if it's two holes but suppose the guy followed Thomas around for a significant number of holes?

I am a bit indifferent to the problem. I assume ejection means from the entire course. If so, then it seems like over kill as far as punishment goes. I would think just moving the heckler to another gallery would be sufficient for a first offense.  If the heckler continues to cause problems a second time, then toss him.

3 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Way over-reaction, getting tossed for yelling for his ball to go in the trap.  I’d rather see someone get tossed out for yelling baba-booey81B92B45-98C1-4E97-AC14-A6620F2E5FF4.thumb.png.87da7f33a6f9643d0d37ff467bb7c300.png

Maybe JT should take this before the Ryder Cup.

lol, hilarious!!! :-D

• Like 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Completely inappropriate to kick him out.  If yiu can't root against someone, why is it appropriate to root for someone he may be playing against?

Those are different things.

I root for, say, the Steelers. I don't root against the team they're playing against.

In the Ryder Cup, they say you can root for your team, but it's poor form to root for or cheer for bad shots by the other team.

I like JT, but this story made me like him a little less. I'm not condoning the troll of a fan but c'mon, you're a professional athlete making millions to play golf- grow a little thicker skin. If he was being disruptive during  shots then yea, throw him out, but that wasn't the case here.  Yes, golf is different and should be than other sports, but all other athletes have to deal with way worse from fans than this.

Something also rubs me the wrong way about the dictator style decision that the players are allowed to make in this case to toss a fan. Not saying that fans shouldn't get tossed from time to time, just that IMO there should probably be more defined regs as to when an ejection is warranted.

Edited by skydog

Remember the Ron Artest vs Detroit Pistons?  For years Golf has been a gentleman's game with honor and integrity.    Back in the day the gallery was quiet.   It didn't take long for beer to be introduced.....

nah...that's nonsense....Can't blame beer...   but then again Ron Artest vs. Detroit Pistons...

I think it was bad form but don't believe he should have been thrown out.  

Note: This thread is 1284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!