IGNORED

Rory or Spieth - who has the better career?

RWalker84
Note: This thread is 2196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Better Career  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will have the better career - Jordan Spieth or Rory McIlroy

• Jordan Spieth
    • Rory McIlroy

• Administrator

Pretty similar to this topic, and I added a poll:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rory. I always pick the longer hitters, though Spieth has added some good distance! 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I voted Rory based on the first half of the question.  He seems less obsessive.  Of course, I'm wrong most the time so there is that.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Right now its looking like Spieth.  He's 4 years younger.  Rory currently has more majors (4 vs 3).  Spieth's game seems better suited to Augusta. US Open is a wash maybe, although slight edge to Spieth due to his putting, but Rory's driving is a big advantage with US Open rough. British a wash given Rory's more used to those types courses and playing in the wind, but Spieth's creativity and short game help him there.  And then Rory gets the big edge for PGA's for his ability to go low.  

Overall, I would say Rory has the better "A" game.  When he is on, I'm not sure anyone on tour can match him besides DJ, and maybe...JT, Rahm, and Day (omitting Tiger from this discussion since we don't know what his A game will look like). 

Unfortunately. Rory's form is pretty bad right now, which shouldn't necessarily matter to this discussion. But until we can see Rory get back to the Rory of old, it is a matter of "if" rather than "when" at this point, so we can't just assume he will return to 2014 form. Putting continues to be an issue, and his short irons and wedges leave a lot to be desired these days.  He gets an edge in driving by miles. 

Spieth gets a big edge in overall course demeanor.  Rory hangs his head too much, and I think he is more affected by poor shots than other top guys on tour.  They seem to affect him more and for longer.  This is especially important given Rory's current form.  The longer he goes without returning to form, the higher the likelihood it starts to affect his confidence and overall demeanor.

It's really hard to say. Spieth seems to have a game better suited to aging, so I guess I would have to go with him.  I just hope Rory can find his game as he is more enjoyable to watch when hes on in my opinion. 

I voted Jordan, but I could have gone the other way fairly easily.

Rory is longer, and I don't think Jordan will ever be that long. Jordan seems more intense on course, the type to win majors.

Whoever gets their putting figured out first..

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I went with Mr. Spieth. That said, I don't follow "names", or watch much pro golf. 

However, from what I have seen, and/or read about the pro circuit, JS seems to be more hungry for wins. It's like he is playing the game for more people than just himself. 

RM strikes me as someone who has decided enough is enough. He will play his schedule, and when the wins happen, that's a good thing. If not, oh well, there is always next week. 

Just my opinion from what little I have to go on. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I went with Jordan based on his age and demeanor.  Rory is also a great talent and fiery which I like, but too much adrenaline is not a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to but I'm going with Jordan.  He's in it for the long haul.

Rory's "A" game is better or equal than anyone (and I would put young Tiger in that list).  But we just haven't seen it lately.  I wonder if we will again.

I've got Rory as a sprinter and Jordan for endurance.

and the question was about 'career' so I have to vote for the long term choice.

• Like 1

Bill - 

I still think Rory has a better game when he's on, but he hasn't been on much at all for a few years. He still gets my vote, but not by much.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 hours ago, jamo said:

I still think Rory has a better game when he's on, but he hasn't been on much at all for a few years. He still gets my vote, but not by much.

Agree, when he's in the zone he's a match for anyone but as soon as his game drops a gear he's often so far off the pace its hard to belive its the same guy playing. He played decent in the two Euro tour events at the start of the year then went off thr boil.

Hope he's not another Luke Donald (but with majors). Best on both sides of the pond then goes off grid. 

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I wish both Rory and Jordan would get it going this year. They both have been mediocre lately.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
7 hours ago, rehmwa said:

Rory's "A" game is better or equal than anyone (and I would put young Tiger in that list).  But we just haven't seen it lately.  I wonder if we will again.

Young Tiger won the Masters by 12 and the U.S. Open by 15. Young Tiger won all four majors in a row.

I agree that Spieth is likely going to have a better career. Rory seems to have lost interest, or something…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Rory definitely has the higher ceiling, by a big margin. I don't see the spark anymore for Rory. I see Spieth having the better career.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

I agree that Spieth is likely going to have a better career. Rory seems to have lost interest, or something…

Maybe getting married has "affected" his golf. He might be under the thumb! His wife probably wears the trouser's in the McIlroy household. I know mine does in my house ;-)

Edited by RussUK

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I think they both finish their careers with 6 or 7 majors. I see Spieth predominantly factoring in at the Masters, but will likely win the PGA at some point. I can see him winning another British Open as well. Not sure about another US Open. I think Rory will eventually win the Masters, but I think he will likely win a few more of the British and the PGA. I voted Spieth, but I think it will be very close. 

Note: This thread is 2196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!