Patch

Top Players if Every Week on the PGA Tour was like the U.S. Open

U.S. Open Conditions  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would the top players still be the top players if every week was set up like the U.S. Open?

• Yes
    • No

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Had a discussion with some golfing friends yesterday about course set ups for tournaments. 

Long story short.  If all tournaments in the PGA were set up like this year's USO was, (maybe a little less tough) would the top 10/20 OWGRs have the same names listed with the way today's tournaments are set up?

In other words, would today's top players still be the top players if they had to play on much tougher courses all the time. 

A lot of big name players were beat up pretty bad in this year's USO. Why were they not able to adapt to the tougher conditions? 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Generally speaking, yes. There might be a few bits of movement, but… the top guys miss cuts here and there in regular PGA Tour events, too.

The top guys still possess the better overall games.

There is a lot that goes into this. If you had a wide range of course designs and they were set up US-Open tough, then the better players would win more often I think.

I voted yes. Ballstriking is ball striking. Yes, certain courses or designs may not fit someones eye, there will down weeks like there are for every golfer, but by and large the guys who can strike the ball and can top it off with a good short game often will be the top players. I don't see that changing from how it is now. 

For the most part I would expect that to be the case. Certainly some courses fit some players better than others and that would shift things a little. I need to go on record now and say that I kind of miss seeing more red numbers - it's so much easier to focus in on the leaders :~(.

I voted yes. There's a reason those golfers are ranked more highly than others. Even if the course is set up like Saturday PM at Shinnecock, the better players will still come to the fore.

Yes. They’re the top ranked golfers for a reason.

I don’t think some guys would be up there as high. I think Rory would drop a lot. He struggles with fast greens as shown by his US Open record. His one Open win came on slow greens. I think you’d see guys who do well on tough courses more up there. Of course it depends on if every week is set up like Shinnecock or you have a mix with some Erin Hills and Congresionala thrown in there.

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I don’t think some guys would be up there as high. I think Rory would drop a lot. He struggles with fast greens as shown by his US Open record. His one Open win came on slow greens. 

4 majors and 17 top 10s. I don't think you have to worry about Rory being right up there. The regular guys are going to slip while the cream rises or stays at the top.

8 hours ago, Shorty said:

4 majors and 17 top 10s. I don't think you have to worry about Rory being right up there. The regular guys are going to slip while the cream rises or stays at the top.

Yeah but the topic says “U.S. Open” not “major championship”. Take away 2011 and 2017 because those were non-traditional US Open conditions, how has Rory fared in US Opens? I think he has one great final round at Chambers Bay. Other than that, he hasn’t done well at all. I like Rory and think he is a great player, but he’s more made for slower greens and not much rough off the fairways. He’s one of the few players that would really suffer if every week was like Shinnecock and Oakmont. 

I believe that a few of the current top 10 would move down and some of the grittier, calm 11-30 ranked golfers would move up.  For example, I see Rory and Jordan dropping and Kuchar rising.  But would you really want to see Shinnecock conditions every week?  The USGA came very close on Saturday afternoon to going over the top to where luck was as big a factor as skill. 

7 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Yeah but the topic says “U.S. Open” not “major championship”. Take away 2011 and 2017 because those were non-traditional US Open conditions, how has Rory fared in US Opens? I think he has one great final round at Chambers Bay. Other than that, he hasn’t done well at all. I like Rory and think he is a great player, but he’s more made for slower greens and not much rough off the fairways. He’s one of the few players that would really suffer if every week was like Shinnecock and Oakmont. 

I would back Rory against 95% of the field in any tournament in any country in any conditions. I'm pretty sure that fast greens are not the issue. He's suffer a loi less than 95% of the field if he played Shinnecock  or Oakmont every week.

No 4 would be No 1.

It'd be mostly the same I think.

On 6/19/2018 at 5:05 PM, Shorty said:

I would back Rory against 95% of the field in any tournament in any country in any conditions. I'm pretty sure that fast greens are not the issue. He's suffer a loi less than 95% of the field if he played Shinnecock  or Oakmont every week.

I hate to say it but with Rory and Sergios putting they'd Definately fall if it was US OPEN all the time.Tiger and Phil be done also with they're awful driving.Jordan would be fine even though his putting is off but it'll come back.Koepka seems to be made for US Opens but that's about all he's gonna win unless his wrist injury is what made him disappear after last open.