IGNORED

How Hot Is Too Hot to Play?

scotth
Note: This thread is 1384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf in the Heat  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How hot is too hot to play golf (Fahrenheit)?

I voted 105+, I'd rather vote for 110.  I'm very likely going to play in 105 later this week.  At 110 I start to have second thoughts.  

I do start wearing shorts around 90 degrees because I'm not yet at the point where I'm equally comfortable in long pants than I am in shorts, although I do have some good pairs of golf pants. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like playing golf enough that I think I would be willing suffer through just about any amount of heat to play. When I was in college I would play 3-4 times a week in 90-100 degree weather. That said, I might reconsider carrying or walking with a pushcart in temperatures > 105 degrees.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I voted for 95 degrees. I generally like to walk, so anything more than that starts making it more of a slog than enjoyable. If it's relatively humid, that number probably drops a bit more. In a cart, I'd be more likely to play in warmer weather.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

6 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

That said, I might reconsider carrying or walking with a pushcart in temperatures > 105 degrees.

True.  I plan to ride tomorrow if it's a regulation course (it will be over 100 degrees).  Might play a par-3 or executive depending on company. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

For me when it is in the mid 80s with the real feel over 90* that is too hot to start on the first hole. My wife and I go out early in the summer, but it is still too hot by the time we get done. when we were kids we would play baseball from early morning to dinner time no matter how hot it got in the summer. But at late 70's can't stand that kind of heat anymore.

I voted for 100* F. I like to walk the front and ride the back, but if it's around ninety and humid I'll ride all 18.  If it's approaching 100* I probably won't play.

One bonus to hot weather is at age 70, most of my aches and pains go away. 

On 6/15/2020 at 12:41 PM, Shindig said:

At 110 I start to have second thoughts.  

Today is projected to be 110 and I am having second thoughts about playing today.  Will aim to play tomorrow. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know how some of you can play in the heat. I played 18 this morning when it was 92 degrees with a dew point of 72. I’m 77 years old and I thought I was going to die. The carts this course has are black with black covers and seats. By the end of the round my back hurt so bad I could hardly get my bag in my vehicle. There wasn’t any cloud cover or breeze. The sand flies bit my legs constantly. I drank probably a gallon or more of water.

I will never play in that kind of heat again, plus I am limiting my rounds to 9 holes. I have finally hit that age. Did I mention that I scored a nice 109!

Having suffered heat stroke last year I won’t play if the humidity gets over 100*. 
I walked Pinehurst #2 this morning. Had the 1st tee time at 7:00.  It was 76 with a feels like of 80.  The front 9 went quickly but by the time we got to the 12th hole the temp started to rise. There was an off and on breeze (mostly off).  We finished 16 and it was 83 with a feels like of 88.

Walking off 18 it was 88 with a feels like of 88.  It wasn’t bad overall, but I was soaked.  We walked fairly fast, played in 3 hours 17 minutes.  Guy I played with played #4 os Saturday, it took just over 5 hours!  He walked it too and it was exhausting!

Just know your limits, drink your fluids!

5 hours ago, CharlieB said:

I don’t know how some of you can play in the heat. I played 18 this morning when it was 92 degrees with a dew point of 72. I’m 77 years old and I thought I was going to die. The carts this course has are black with black covers and seats. By the end of the round my back hurt so bad I could hardly get my bag in my vehicle. There wasn’t any cloud cover or breeze. The sand flies bit my legs constantly. I drank probably a gallon or more of water.

I will never play in that kind of heat again, plus I am limiting my rounds to 9 holes. I have finally hit that age. Did I mention that I scored a nice 109!

Sounds more like the Bataan Death March than a round of golf...

49 minutes ago, Sandy Lie said:

Having suffered heat stroke last year I won’t play if the humidity gets over 100*. 

I'm learning something new all of the time here.  I don't know if you meant to say the temperature gets over 100º or the humidity gets over 100%.   I had to ask Google if such a thing was possible (over 100% humidity) and yes it is possible to have more than 100% humidity!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Sounds more like the Bataan Death March than a round of golf...

I’m not sure what that is, but if it’s pure misery your close.

I looked it up. I had a riding cart.

Edited by CharlieB

10 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I'm learning something new all of the time here.  I don't know if you meant to say the temperature gets over 100º or the humidity gets over 100%.   I had to ask Google if such a thing was possible (over 100% humidity) and yes it is possible to have more than 100% humidity!

We chemical engineers use this easy to read psychometric chart.😀

43EE368F-8F32-49DB-8B8F-9AF7D927E5CF.gif

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Pushed the edge of it yesterday when i walked Miami Shores yesterday in 95 degrees.

It was ok for nine holes, but I just had to make the turn after a triple on No. 9. On the No. 15 green I started seeing black spots. Nobody was around, so I had a little break in the shade and then skipped over to 18, played it and headed home.

Going to have to re-evaluate my tolerance level for these kind of days and at what point I really ought to get the cart. 

Edited by mcanadiens

3 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Pushed the edge of it yesterday when i walked Miami Shores yesterday in 95 degrees.

It's definitely too hot to walk, but it's fine for riding.

- Shane

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

It's definitely too hot to walk, but it's fine for riding.

But $12 extra to ride. That's almost as brutal as the heat. 

Either I need to get tougher or the weather needs to get cooler. 

21 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

But $12 extra to ride. That's almost as brutal as the heat. 

Either I need to get tougher or the weather needs to get cooler. 

Many days I would walk at or around 90 deg., but mid-90s is to high. I would plan on a 9-holer, ride, or wait until evening to go out.

- Shane

Note: This thread is 1384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!