IGNORED

How Hot Is Too Hot to Play?

scotth
Note: This thread is 1385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf in the Heat  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How hot is too hot to play golf (Fahrenheit)?

Yesterday afternoon it got up to 93 degrees here in the North Country of New York which for this area is really hot.  I played in the morning and when I got home commented to my wife I bet we didn't see many golfers go by the house in the afternoon.

Later I had to run some errands and drove by the clubhouse for my home club and didn't see a single car in the parking lot!  I was curious to see if the course closed because of the heat or just nobody was playing.  Turns out when I talked to the starter from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm on a Sunday not one golfer teed off.

Having spent 25 years in Texas it didn't seem that hot to me, and certainly not so hot I would have canceled my tee time which is what many people did yesterday.  I might have decided to use a cart instead of walk in that heat yesterday, never just cancel a tee time.

So my question in how hot is too hot for you to play at all.  

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I teed off yesterday at 9am and it was about 80 degrees. We finished at noon and it was 95+. As we were finishing, I saw some people on holes 10 and 2. So there were some hardy golfers out there!

I probably wouldn't have started playing if it was 95 degrees but it wasn't terrible.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Pushed it to the limit this weekend.  Walked 18 both Saturday and Sunday morning and it easily hit the low to mid 90s before we got finished. 

Both days, things seemed to go off the rails between holes 12-16. I kept hydrated but still had trouble balancing and staying centered and had some ugly holes as a result. Oddly, had good holes on the 18ths both days. Maybe the sight of the club house encouraged me.

I suppose if I'm serious about scoring in this kind of weather I'll have to pay for the cart.

If I'm riding in a cart, I don't know that it gets hot enough around here that I'd call it "too hot to play". Now, walking.... If it's more than probably mid/low 80s I can't do it. I'm not sure what the temp was when we finished up our round this last Saturday, but it was probably the max I could handle walking.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Here in the rain forests of northern Georgia; the humidity can be a larger impediment than raw heat.  That being said...I prefer not to play if shooting the temperature would sour the experience.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I am not sure. If heat and humidity kept me from the golf course I would not play much. Just this weekend it I finished my round with the actual temperature around 95, and the "feel like" temperature around 103 or 104. I have played quite a bit of golf around 100 degrees with feel like temperatures much higher than. Drink A LOT of water, and even some gatorade to get some electrolytes back in you. FWIW, I played the day before Christmas Eve last year...it was in the 80s. 

Guess I didn't answer my own question.

If I am riding in a cart, I have yet to see a temperature on the high side where I won't play.  I used to be the guy that would put a golf group together to fly to Vegas or Palm Springs courses in August because we got really, really good off season rates.  As others have said keep hydrated and play on!

If I am walking, I probably would cut it off around 95.  Played yesterday afternoon again, for the simple reason that I had the entire golf course to myself.  Just me and my push cart.

On the other side of the 'ol thermometer have played several times here when the temp was in the 20's as long as it isn't windy and there is no snow.

• Upvote 1

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

pfft.   It was 97 here in Minnesota on Friday and I played.   I go down to Arizona every summer, and usually play in about 110.     no such thing as too hot to golf.   Thats what the beer is for. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Dry heat and a cart?  No such thing as too hot.  I played three rounds in Palm Desert last month and I'll play plenty more this summer. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

If I didn't play when it's in the mid to high 90's, I wouldn't play much summer golf here.  I've teed off with the temperature above 100.  Even back when I could still walk 18, it never seemed to be a problem.  Now I try to park the cart in shade until I need to go to my ball, drink plenty of water, and hope for a breeze.  

I'm just glad that I don't have to deal with the sort of temps that race car drivers do.  Dressed in the fireproof suits and helmet and yesterday suring the NASCAR Monster Energy race at Chicagoland they were showing temps over 150°F inside the cars.  That might be a bit hard to deal with.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

In 5 months, only 150 days, it'll start to be too cold to play and/or snow will close the courses. That's what I think about. 100 with killer humidity, tough but doable. I dunno what's my limit. I suspect 110+ and very humid might do it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Triple digits are the norm out here. I probably draw the line at 115*F. Actually, it depends on the humidity, and the heat index. When it comes to heat, "feel is real". 105*F, depending on conditions, can feel cooler or warmer. 

The key is staying hydrated properly. I start my hydration process the day before I plan to play. Then staying hydrated during the round. In a 4 hour round I will drink a bottle of water every three, or four holes.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have played in 100 degree weather as long as you have water with you its okay, besides id I have a bad round there is a built in reason.This topic will vary form golfer to golfer depending on were they are from.

I played last year in 106 degree weather in Scottsdale, that was damn hot.  Played in the 100 degree in 90% humidity and that was worse.  Can do these once in a blue moon, but wouldn’t want to do it very often.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• iacas changed the title to How Hot Is Too Hot to Play?
  • Administrator

I caddied in the PGA National Professional's Championship one time when Dave and I each drank 24 20 oz. bottles of water throughout the round and didn't pee (and several during warmups, etc.). When we sat down for dinner at 9:00 it was 99°. He had a staff bag that day. ;-)

I'd have rather played than caddied that day for sure.

I've played in 105°. That's fine depending on the humidity. I will try to ride in a cart if it gets above 90°.

Also, @scotthhttps://thesandtrap.com/how-to/add-a-poll .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It has been on the 90's here on Long Island, NY for the past couple of days but I would still play. Given our age, etc. we ride so it is not bad. Playing tomorrow but it is only forecasted to be in the 80's so no problem. Riding, I think my limit would be 95 to 100 degree with high humidity (which we get a lot). On the Island it also depends on where the course is located. We have a lot of courses on the bay (south shore) so we always get an on-shore breeze in the afternoon. Mid Island, like Bethpage, it can get very hot and humid, no wind, it all depends.

19 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Are a lot of these responses from guys riding? Walking makes all the difference....

If you are walking in temps close to 100 degrees (or higher) I both respect you and question your sanity....

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!