IGNORED

2018 British Open Championship at Carnoustie

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Ryan Moore with four birdies in six holes is off to a hot start, eh?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, billchao said:

He's driving poorly, though. His putter has to get hot to have a chance at winning. 

Yup just as I say that, he puts up a big number.

Is there no Shot Tracker or something similar for this tournament?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Really surprised seeing Rose and Reed struggling today. Thought both those guys would thrust themselves into contention early. Now they're going to be playing the cut game probably tomorrow.

Not exactly the sexiest looking leaderboard right now, but it's early. Seems like all the big guns hovering around Even. 

Edited by ChrisP

22 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Really surprised seeing Rose and Reed struggling today. Thought both those guys would thrust themselves into contention early. Now they're going to be playing the cut game probably tomorrow.

Not exactly the sexiest looking leaderboard right now, but it's early. Seems like all the big guns hovering around Even. 

Of course Rose is struggling. I picked him in my Fantasy League! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Zach Johnson with a pretty good start to his day, -3 thru 6.

Everybody has been talking about the long hitters and what they can do with this course, but can't count out the shorter, straighter hitters taking advantage of the extra distance. So far long hitters have hit some great shots and some equally big misses.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

What... the... hell? Teeless driver?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

How come the USGA gets so much whining about one or two questionable greens during the US Open, but the R&A has their course looking like garbage and there's no uproar from the players?

That being said, go Tiger!

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Is that Kinesio tape on Woods' neck?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Tiger with a good drive on the first hole, just not a good reaction by him.  Dust in his eye?

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

What... the... hell? Teeless driver?

Yeah.  I went to their website, it's a large 3+-wood.  That's about as much as I'm going to look into

Just now, nevets88 said:

Is that Kinesio tape on Woods' neck?

Yes, I think so.  He woke up with a sore neck.  Slept funny at his hotel or something.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Oooohhh, Tiger Tracker has an Open Championship icon:

TheOpen_2018.png

Steve

5 minutes ago, RichWW2 said:

How come the USGA gets so much whining about one or two questionable greens during the US Open, but the R&A has their course looking like garbage and there's no uproar from the players?

That being said, go Tiger! 

It's been dry and hot in Scotland, and most courses there do not have sprinkler systems (I believe - I could be wrong about that). Brown grass is fine for golf.

I'm excited to watch these players deal with conditions they don't normally see at a regular tour event. And the R&A won't let the course get too fast like the USGA does because the R&A has tons of experience with links courses.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Fairway for Tiger, and then, more importantly, a green in regulation... and good proximity to the hole too. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

It's been dry and hot in Scotland, and most courses there do not have sprinkler systems (I believe - I could be wrong about that). Brown grass is fine for golf.

I'm excited to watch these players deal with conditions they don't normally see at a regular tour event. And the R&A won't let the course get too fast like the USGA does because the R&A has tons of experience with links courses.

I understand it's been dry and they probably don't have sprinklers, but Chambers Bay looked almost identical, and that course was brutalized by everyone.  One or two bad greens at Shinnecock, and it gets brutalized by everyone.  Baked out brown dirt fairways causing drives well over 400 yards, no big deal? C'mon.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

What sorcery is this, birdie for Woods?

• Like 1

Steve

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

What sorcery is this, birdie for Woods?

Under par at some point in the opening round smh

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 2097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!