IGNORED

2018 British Open Championship at Carnoustie

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 hours ago, billchao said:

The Scottish Open played pretty much like this. What people are complaining about is just a product of the abnormal weather.

Yeah. No rain. I watched a YouTube video of Fleetwood's course record in the 2017 Albert Dunhill. Most everything was greenery. That was natural too, I think. Love The Open! Best, -Marv 

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hell I love the way the course is playing. Fast fairways and receptive greens? Perfect. Hey I like watching these guys bomb away but I also enjoy forcing them to have to put some thought into it. I like the relative unpredictability of how far a drive will go. Pot bunker in the chosen line of flight 380yds...what can I hit and not worry about making it there without sacrificing too much distance? I think it makes for great golf. I much prefer radical fairways than seeing a great shot to the middle of a green roll clear off. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Pot bunker in the chosen line of flight 380yds...what can I hit and not worry about making it there without sacrificing too much distance? 

aka the problems you and I wish we had in our rounds.

Well, I can't speak for you, but it's a problem I'd love to have ;-) 

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Cool and rainy conditions today. Looks a lot more like Scotland should.

The wet grass will reduce the roll but not really going to soften up the ground any.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Cool and rainy conditions today. Looks a lot more like Scotland should.

The wet grass will reduce the roll but not really going to soften up the ground any.

Saw the early starters going out this morning and it looked like a proper Scottish morning. Spot on with the rain not softening the ground Bill, its bone dry all over the UK and any water is literally running off the ground. Going to take a few days of rain to really soften things up. 

Heavy rain due at 5pm GMT but not sure if its going to hit up in Angus but its certainly hitting us here in Yorkshire.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

You notice a huge difference in the softness in the fairways. Not nearly the runout and the greens are very soft this morning. Good conditions for some scoring on the front. Tiger needs to take advantage. So far a lot of the more prominent players getting in the hunt now.

Edited by ChrisP

Hmmm.  Did I hear the announcer say Tiger just hit the gallery on his second shot???

Ouch!

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Golf balls really spinning today. I would imagine we’ll get some low scores this morning.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

We (Florida) are getting British open weather lately. Not quite as cold 😜

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Great to see Rory near the top of the leader board.  He is one of the few golfers I follow and would like to see win.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Would like to see Tiger get to at least 2-under by day’s end. Too many other world class players he may have to climb over if he doesn’t get in better position. Needs some birdies here on the back.

So far he is Even Par on the par-5s this week. That’s losing at least 2 shots to the field right there.

Edit: And another bogey. The train is going the wrong way, Tiger.

Edited by ChrisP

I guess Fleetwood went out early.  Nice to check in and see him at the top of the leaderboard. 

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Guys who tee off in an hour or so gonna have the best advantage of the day. Wind due to die down and rain gonna stop. So I think Finau, Fowler, Rahm and Spieth all have potential to go low today if they are on their game.

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

Guys who tee off in an hour or so gonna have the best advantage of the day. Wind due to die down and rain gonna stop. So I think Finau, Fowler, Rahm and Spieth all have potential to go low today if they are on their game.

Speith wont do much this year. My father-in-law has placed a bet on him and everytime he does Speith seems to play crap or finish low down. He needs to stick to form otherwise my FIL wont shut up about his "betting know-how" :-D 

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

A bit of weather...the British Open...Zach Johnson...Hmmm...might have seen that coming.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

4 minutes ago, Piz said:

A bit of weather...the British Open...Zach Johnson...Hmmm...might have seen that coming.

Yeah ZJ seems to fair well with bad weather ..especially wet. I’m seeing Fleetwood in this one. Not a fan of his but he’s got a solid game and not really the choker type.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

These announcers are the worst.  Snoozeville.  I'm falling asleep sitting here at my desk!  Never thought I'd find myself wanting to hear a stupid story from Faldo, and I'd even take Johnny Miller over these two cadavers.  They add absolutely zero to the broadcast.

Note: This thread is 2090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!