IGNORED

Club fitting: everyone says do it, how many actually do?

Note: This thread is 1967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Fitting: everyone says do it, how many actually do?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get fit

• Yes
    • No

I've been an on again, off again golfer for 20yr. The best I ever got was shooting consistently in the mid-90s 7-8yrs ago. Since then I haven't played until this year. 

Just reading around random threads about equipment, almost everyone says "go get a proper fitting." I've never done this. Only bought clubs straight off the rack. I don't know anyone that has ever done this. None of the guys I've ever played with have ever done it. So how many actually do? 

In the bag:

Driver: :tmade: '07 Burner Draw 10.5 
3/4 Hybrid: :adams: Idea a205
Irons: :tmade: Burner Plus  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I did. I played for years without ever being fitted. Never heard much talk about it in those days (early 80’s). I played on and off and didn’t really take it seriously until about 5 years ago. I bought a set of Ping G25’s and got a very basic fitting. I didn’t know what I was doing and I don’t think the kid fitting me did either. I was at a Golf Smith so I got the fitting free for purchasing the clubs. Last year I went through the whole shebang for a set of Ping i200’s. Again not much confidence in my fitter but I’m sure some aspects came out ‘better’ for me. I imagine people who simply play for fun and truly don’t really care what they score don’t consider being fitted. Once a player decides to improve I guess they want every advantage they can get and thus do it. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

(edited)
14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Once a player decides to improve I guess they want every advantage they can get and thus do it. 

I posted this because I'm curious how much it actually helps. How many strokes is it actually going to save you? I generally think everyone wants to get better. Right now I'm not even breaking 100 again. I'd like to get back to the Mid 90s, I think I'd be happy there, but I don't see how a fitting is going to benefit me at all. 

I understand if you get to low handicap you obviously play a lot and have put in alot of time, effort, sweat, money to get there, and at that point why not. But I've seen numerous posts, guys brand new looking to buy some irons, and 9 out of 10 say "go get fit." I just don't see why that's the overwhelming advise, and curious how many people actually do it. By reading here it “seems like" it's a good 90%

Edited by paulballs

In the bag:

I was fit for my Irons, but not the rest. 

6 minutes ago, paulballs said:

I posted this because I'm curious how much it actually helps. How many strokes is it actually going to save you? I generally think everyone wants to get better. Right now I'm not even breaking 100 again. I'd like to get back to the Mid 90s, I think I'd be happy there, but I don't see how a fitting is going to benefit me at all. 

Depends how different to the 'average' your circumstances are. For instance, if you very tall and slice the ball, it may be that more upright lie angles help fix it. Alternatively, if you're older and slowing down, it might be that a lighter , more flexible shafts helps you get more reliable distance. Both of those things would help bring down your scores. Just a couple of examples.

If you're Mr average in most respects, then it probably won't save you very many strokes, but will probably still help you a little. Beyond the actual fitting criteria, you might get useful suggestions as to what type of clubs would suit you better, that you might not have considered.  

I did it and it was money well spent. I used to pull my irons and after the fitting my irons started going straight (as long as I do my part). I think it's piece of mind, so you know your equipment isn't part of the problem. 

I'm not personally scoring any better because I have not been able to play or practice this year. But I know my clubs have nothing to do with that. 

26 minutes ago, paulballs said:

I understand if you get to low handicap you obviously play a lot and have put in alot of time, effort, sweat, money to get there, and at that point why not. But I've seen numerous posts, guys brand new looking to buy some irons, and 9 out of 10 say "go get fit." I just don't see why that's the overwhelming advise, and curious how many people actually do it. By reading here it “seems like" it's a good 90%

It's just for fine tuning.I can hit pretty much any iron and its gonna go pretty good but to get precise on shots then fitting helps.

I was fit for my driver, 4-wood, 3H sort of, irons (5-U), and putter

4H was a guess, similar to my 3H.  I did some sort of online fitting for my wedges before a member review a few years ago.  When I replace my wedges (wow, it's been three years give or take?), I will get fitted for them, although I'm not exactly sure who does that since my main concern (for choosing whichever wedges to get) is gaps.

Edited by Shindig

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I get fitted every time I buy new clubs. Usually it’s a free fitting if I buy the clubs that day. Just worth the time for me.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I've been fitted for Driver/woods, irons and putter. I would like to do wedges. I  also probably need a new fitting because my swing speed has slowed a bit.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

When I returned to golf last year, I got fitted for my irons. I am an average player with more than 5 flaws to my game.  It was a great experience in it also focused on the results I could expect with practice.  We also focused on more than 3 makers.  Ended up with Pings.

I noticed a lot of change. When I got fitted for a driver, it was clear that I needed to swing a shorter length due to my height, age and other factors including grip types.  When I took the finished weapon to the range, I started hitting longer and far straighter shots after a few days.  Results and consistency still demand practice. For me, it was well worth the time and expense.  

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I was 'fitted' for my irons - it was just the sales process.  Not much from that at all.  I also already knew what irons model I wanted, so it was pretty much just getting a shaft recommendation.  Meh, pretty much the off the shelf shaft for that club that I'd have selected.  So I can't decide if it helped or not.

Recently I was fitted for my woods and hybrids.  I hit my previous set pretty well, so this was just to 'do it right this time'.  The head choice was slightly better, but it seems to fit me - but I could have gone with 3 or 4 of the choices.  The shaft selection I'm certain is HUGE to my game.  I'm making better contact with every single one of these clubs (dr, 3w, 3h, 5h).  And it's more effortless - I think I adapted my swing to the club before (I'm pretty good at that actually), now the club matches my swing, so it's less effort, less thought, nil compensation.

Bill - 

Well maybe next time I buy a new set I'll give it a go. Unfortunately, I just bought a brand new set of irons this year off the rack. The driver I'm using is the same one I had 8yrs ago. 

In the bag:

I dropped a fair amount of cheddar for my driver and hybrid/irons so you best believe that I going to get fitted for them, haha. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I've had my driver and irons fitted in the past, though my current ones I put together myself under the assumption that the shafts recommended for me are still good. My last fitting was specifically for shafts, actually, because I wanted to see what types of shafts suit my swing better. My putter is an Edel which I got fit for.

I've never been fit for my 3w or my hybrids unless you count demoing a bunch of different ones at the store, which I don't. I've never been fit for wedges either but I'm planning on doing that sometime this year.

8 hours ago, paulballs said:

Just reading around random threads about equipment, almost everyone says "go get a proper fitting." I've never done this. Only bought clubs straight off the rack. I don't know anyone that has ever done this. None of the guys I've ever played with have ever done it. So how many actually do? 

I'm not surprised that there are so many people who have had their clubs fit for them here, but this poll is in no way representative of the general population.

7 hours ago, paulballs said:

I posted this because I'm curious how much it actually helps. How many strokes is it actually going to save you?

The answer is: it depends. The worse your current clubs are for your swing, the more you'll gain from new clubs that are fit for you, but a club fitting isn't going to fix major flaws in your swing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I would say yes mostly. I used Mizuno's swing speed device for my shaft selection and I did my own lie board for irons. Although all my woods are off the rack and my putter was cut by myself. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I need to do a putter fitting. Never have. I have an Edel putter. Sure feels nice to putt with but I’m one of the worst putters in this forum.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

@Vinsk how did you get an Edel putter without a fitting?  I thought they only sold fitted putters. 

Also, sorry for handing off the putting title to you, two months ago I am certain it was mine ;-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 minute ago, Shindig said:

@Vinsk how did you get an Edel putter without a fitting?  I thought they only sold fitted putters. 

Also, sorry for handing off the putting title to you, two months ago I am certain it was mine ;-) 

I just ordered one off the website. I did the same for a wedge. That was a few years ago. This year I wanted another one but the website didn’t have an option for me to select left handed. I gave Erik the specs and he took care of it. 

Note: This thread is 1967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!