IGNORED

Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)

AltGolfer
Note: This thread is 1709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm curious about that, actually.  120 seems atrociously hard to attain unless you have considerable training.  The swing characteristics required to make that happen are just not the way a human naturally swings the club.  And even with a trainer helping, it takes many hours of training to get all of the details correct.  I hit 300 yard drives sometimes.  It is certainly not the norm for me.  My swing speeds are not near that.  This entire topic seems to have caught a raw nerve though.  Great club speed is something masculine that is unattainable or not reasonably attainable for most of us. 

I am very curious.  I want to know what makes great club head speed happen.

We have a swing thread.  You can all see my terribly amateur swing on display in there.  (I'm working on it.)  Why don't we invite the big swingers to post their swings to put to rest all of the accusations.  Then the brainiacs on this forum can pick apart the details and we can all learn.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

I'm curious about that, actually.  120 seems atrociously hard to attain unless you have considerable training.  The swing characteristics required to make that happen are just not the way a human naturally swings the club.  And even with a trainer helping, it takes many hours of training to get all of the details correct.  I hit 300 yard drives sometimes.  It is certainly not the norm for me.  My swing speeds are not near that.  This entire topic seems to have caught a raw nerve though.  Great club speed is something masculine that is unattainable or not reasonably attainable for most of us. 

We have a swing thread.  You can all see my terribly amateur swing on display in there.  (I'm working on it.)  Why don't we invite the big swingers to post their swings to put to rest all of the accusations.  Then the brainiacs on this forum can pick apart the details and we can all learn.

He doesn't swing this big anymore, but he is still high 130's.

• Informative 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

10 minutes ago, phillyk said:

"... he maxed out at 152mph club head speed."  I don't have a trackman etc, but my max is below 152...pretty sure.

23 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Part of it is technique and mechanics, but some of it is just natural. Different people have different muscle make ups and have a higher percentage of fast twitch muscles or whatever.

25 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Go look at @saevel25's swing thread. IIRC his driver swing speed is in the 120s.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I may be newish here, but I've not seen very many people humble-bragging (my ss is "only in the 120s") or outright bragging about distances.  Maybe 1x or 2x, but then in context of their claimed handicap indiex and/or age, it seemed reasonable.  

Seems there's far more angst than the topic merits.  

2 hours ago, phillyk said:

A player on my high school team had a truly superhuman swing speed like this. As a 17 year old in high school he had a SS of between 135 and 140.

It was fast enough that his PING i20 driver broke after he used it for only 2 years, because he literally caved the face in. That was something I previously didn't know was even possible.

2 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

Practice, technique, and flexibility are what gives you swing speed. Being a larger person (tall and long arms, not fat) also helps you out.

As far as technique goes, a lot of it is just about the hips getting ahead of the shoulders, the shoulders ahead of the arms, and then unwinding everything with good timing to whip the club through the ball. Instead of having to actually turn your hips, back, or shoulders that fast you're using each part of the body to add tension and then unwinding it to be straight through impact.

Here's Cameron Champ, the driving distance leader, at impact:

Cameron Champ.JPG

You'll notice that at impact his hips are nearly entirely ahead of the target. It's also hard to see because the video was cropped poorly, but he's up on the toes of both of his feet through impact because he is driving his body up as well as around to help increase speed.

Compare this to one of the shortest hitters on tour, Ben Crane, and you can see a substantial difference in the amount of hip and shoulder rotation the two have at impact:

Ben Crane.JPG

Ben's belt buckle is barely pointing past the golf ball, because he simply doesn't get quite the same hip rotation as Cameron Champ.

Another notable long hitter, Rory McIlroy, can be seen doing the same thing below. It's interesting to note that Rory McIlroy is a pretty small guy yet still one of the longest hitters, in part thanks to the fact that his hip rotation is some of the fastest that's been measured by professional golfers. His hips actually get so far ahead of the rest of his body that they are forced to rotate backwards immediately after impact, to give you an idea of the amount of tension he's putting into his spine with all that twisting.

Most tour pros average a max of 550 degrees per second of hip rotation. Rory averages a max of 720 degrees per second, and puts enough tension into his abdominal obliques that they pull the hips backwards at about 380 degrees per second. For reference, most amateurs rotate their hips forwards at only 350 degrees per second.

Rory McIlroy.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

If the weather is warm and I've taken my ibuprofen I can get my swing to 156....

kph.

• Thumbs Up 2

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I was ABSOFAWKINLUTELY CRUSHING the ball today

288yard driving avg over 14 drives measured accurately using GPS!!!

That’s with not being able to hit a decent drive the entire front nine (longest drive was 275) AND less than ideal driving conditions on the course today, 12* C, and damp.. 5 yard roll, 8 yards MAX

NOT sure why these internet trolls are always hating on 300 yard drives like they’re unheard of. Anything less than a 240yard carry is legit weak sauce, lol

Realistically the game can be played at a decent level IF unatlhletic old or weak men can “only” hit 180-210 yards but play from the short tees

What is it about a longer than avg hitter that bothers other golfers? 

Seriously! Does it bring about insecure masculinity? Inferiority? The counter posts are embarrassing 

NO lie! This game is a GREAT game and I’ve seen it played all different ways

What I do see (on the internet) is that calling out long hitters and assuming a guy who actually CAN hit a 300yard drive (like it’s impossible???) should be on the tour collecting green jackets yet all you trolls claim to be hitting 220-250yard drives AND sticking 50-100yards within 10” EVERY fawking time 

Who’s the real BS’er? 

Im legit long off the tee but rarely avg 300+ off the tee per round but am routinely 80-100 yards further than my typical playing partner. THAT being said I’ve been outdriven by 30-60 yards “on avg” on rounds paired up with other golfers (some who LEGIT shoot single digits) 

Why the hate? Why? I’d like to know? And more so, why the bold claims on actually being able to score in an extremely difficult game? 

Seriously! Do people honestly believe if they negate the possibility of an avg athletic Joe a 300 yard drive it enables them to claim feats of less than 30 putts per round, 80% fairways hit, 70+ greens in regulation and proximity to hole inside 120 yards is 15’??? 

Lets be real  

Edited by ToolManSam

• Administrator

What’s your point?

What hate?

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A 300 yard is relatively easy compared to making a single par for any given hole let alone making 1 out of 3 holes par or even more EXTREME 18 pars 

guys on here claim they’ve NEVER seen a 260 yard drive but claim to hit mediocre drives of 220yards but hit EVERY fairway and 90% of greens and nail EVERY shot inside 100 yards

My point? It’s EASY for some guys to hit 300 yard drives 

It’s EXTREMELY difficult to score well on any given day and even more difficult to score day / day out

PGA tour pros play 7,000 (-7,500 yards in extreme cases). Hitting 290-340 yards is needed to get to tight pins on fast greens

What is this post even about?  Why do you care what other people think about you?  Play golf and have fun.  All this post, is seemingly to me, is an attempt at a humble brag about your length and your perception that people give you crap because you hit it long but aren't a tour player.  I'm confused.  Be more concise.  

PS- length definitely helps and affords more opportunities to score, but I don't care how long you hit the ball or anyone else.  I play my own game and have fun with my buddies.  You should try it.

I'm not a long hitter, but even I can have the stars line up and get 300 yard drives.  I use a gc2 and I know my game.  I have problems executing haha.

Edited by ncates00

1 minute ago, miggusrises said:

I guess maybe sometimes when people talk about their distance it comes across as bragging. That can rub people the wrong way

Eh who cares.  Play your game.  The only distance that matters is the one you're trying to hit.

I have made birdie from popped up drives and double after I crunch one huge. I’m the longest hitter in my group 90% or the time. I’ve learned that distance is cool and all but it’s not the biggest factor to your score. Anyhow idk what you are getting at? Most of the hate you are talking about is the guys on Facebook golf posts who talk shit about how great they are but in actuality prob can’t break 100. I’m kinda rambling in response to your rambling 

• Like 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

22 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

What is this post even about?  Why do you care what other people think about you?  Play golf and have fun.  All this post, is seemingly to me, is an attempt at a humble brag about your length and your perception that people give you crap because you hit it long but aren't a tour player.  I'm confused.  Be more concise.  

PS- length definitely helps and affords more opportunities to score, but I don't care how long you hit the ball or anyone else.  I play my own game and have fun with my buddies.  You should try it.

I'm not a long hitter, but even I can have the stars line up and get 300 yard drives.  I use a gc2 and I know my game.  I have problems executing haha.

My post is to address 90% of forum golfers. It seems people do not believe an avg guy can hit a 250 yard drive and 300yards is not attainable if you’re not on the PGA yet we’re surrounded by scratch golfers or better. That’s far from true and idiotic at best to believe such nonsense

Long drivers who don’t care about score can at times carry the ball over 400 yards

I don’t care what others think about my golf. Legit! I routinely get beat by guys I can outdrive by 60-100yards

I’m just saying I’ve seen guys carry the ball close to or over 300yards a ton of times but have NEVER seen an avg Joe shoot better than par 

• Administrator
Just now, ToolManSam said:

My post is to address 90% of forum golfers.

Not on this forum.

Feels like trolling.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

32 minutes ago, miggusrises said:

I guess maybe sometimes when people talk about their distance it comes across as bragging. That can rub people the wrong way

Why would someone be upset if someone were talking about their game (or distance)???

Guys routinely brag about being able to score within 80 yards

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not on this forum.

Feels like trolling.

Possibly not on this forum, lol. I definitely know I’ve seen it here too tho

• Administrator

This is pointless.

Topic merged with another similar topic.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!