50 posts / 7031 viewsLast Reply

On 9/8/2018 at 10:12 PM, Missouri Swede said:

:-X

On 9/8/2018 at 10:15 PM, Valleygolfer said:

A delusional experience. 

I was right.

I shouldn’t have asked...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

"Mr. Owl, how many shots should your golf ball last?"

"Let's find out. One." (hits ball off tee, finds fairway)

"Two." (lays up 2nd shot, also in fairway) 

"Three." (chunks approach into pond)

"Three."

1 minute ago, billchao said:

"Mr. Owl, how many shots should your golf ball last?"

"Let's find out. One." (hits ball off tee, finds fairway)

"Two." (lays up 2nd shot, also in fairway) 

"Three." (chunks approach into pond)

"Three."

Mr owl.jpg

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

Mr owl.jpg

Simply put, could not stop laughing.  Have you been watching me play?

On 9/8/2018 at 6:29 AM, Patch said:

Anyone know if a softer ball, or a harder ball last longer than the other?

In a hitting bay or driving range environment where a ball is subjected to repeated full-bore driver shots, a lower compression ball will usually crack or break before a higher compression ball.

I play Recycled and Refurbished golf balls brought to Argentina from the US, 3 times cheaper than the new ones they sell here.
This kind of ball get broken by the 3rd or 4th round, normally hitting it with my driver. I normally lost them before reaching that point, but there are a few cases that they survive long enough in play to get broken.

2 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

This kind of ball get broken by the 3rd or 4th round, normally hitting it with my driver. I normally lost them before reaching that point, but there are a few cases that they survive long enough in play to get broken.

Three or four rounds? That's usually takes about a dozen balls for me :whistle:

I did have a ball last week make it through 31 complete holes. That's got to be a personal best. I'd put it in a little box and proudly display it at my house if only I knew where it was.

3 hours ago, billchao said:

I'd put it in a little box and proudly display it at my house if only I knew where it was.

You don't know where your house is?  Golf ball preservation isn't your biggest problem. :-$

I rotate balls through my bag. If I am playing in a tournament or a money match then I normally pull a new ball. The balls with a round or two get used for friendly rounds and practice rounds. Once I get 3-4 rounds on a ball I retire them to my short game shag bag. I don't like to practice my short game with range balls, they don't behave the same as premium balls.

I'll pull a new ball for each new round. But the ball(s) from previous rounds are ready in case original is lost. I don't pull a new ball on the 7th tee or something. found balls get relegated to a separate pocket that gets emptied at the range. If I make it through a round with one ball, that will get used as the backup for the next rounds new ball.

So- to actually answer the OP question... I don't know, but it should be able to take at least one round worth of strikes barring any damage.

Beats me. 🤷‍♂️

Ive heard some people say that 6-9 holes is all a tour type ball has in it before it becomes oblong. Ive used the same ball over 36 holes without any issue that i could notice. 

But for recreational play i will use a ball until it gets scuffed or I take a chunk out of it with a wedge or something. Then its retired to the shag bag for short game practice. For tournament play ill put in a new ball at the start of the round. 

Before my last round I would answer until I hit it into the water. But this week I played an entire round with the same ball for the first time. I was surprised to see the ID mark I made with a Sharpie fade to almost nothing. The ball is still structurally sound (no scuffs, discoloration, or wedge marks) so it is still in my bag and available for use. I have considered removing it and displaying it in much the same way a business will display the first $1 bill they earn.

Edited by Sean_D

The only time I've had a ball not "last" was several years ago. I bought a dozen Wilson "Smart Core" balls at Golf Galaxy. I could hardly afford not to! You got a free shirt and hat with it! I played an entire 18 holes round with one of them. Immediately I notice the little, curly "pig tails" on the cover after every iron shot. At the end of the round the ball felt like it had been sandpapered with 60 grit! 

I don't remember what the material was, but I had basically chopped the cover off the ball. About one round was the most you could get out of it.

Edited by Buckeyebowman

I continue to play ProV’s for durability reasons. Other premium balls, especially Taylormade, would quickly wear out on me. I’m very interested in the Bridgestone balls (because of Tiger and Bryson-I have no shame). Anyone have input on ProV vs others?

10 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I continue to play ProV’s for durability reasons. Other premium balls, especially Taylormade, would quickly wear out on me. I’m very interested in the Bridgestone balls (because of Tiger and Bryson-I have no shame). Anyone have input on ProV vs others?

If you like ProV1 and V1x, try the Snell MTB. I played ProV1and V1x for a few years and find the MTB very similar and durable. MTB Black is as close to ProV1x as you can get in feel. Dean Snell designed the ProV1. 

https://www.snellgolf.com