IGNORED

Will Golf Be the Next Sport to Require Helmets?

scotth
Note: This thread is 1960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Helmets in Golf  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Will Golf Require Helmets?

• Yes
    • No

The thread title is the name of an interesting, if not alarming article that popped into my inbox earlier today.  

https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/are-helmets-in-the-future-golf

I don't see it happening, but if it did not sure how much golf I would be playing after that.  Thoughts?  Comments?

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Will Golf Be the Next Sport to Require Helmets?
  • Administrator

I added a poll for you, along with a "no" vote.

Adding polls is easy, folks: https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/create-a-poll. Give it a try sometime!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

GOOD GRIEF, GOOD GRAVY! NO! It's still a free country!. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

No. Asinine at best.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Golf has always had helmets.  Once upon a time they were cloth, or felt, and these days they are called ball caps.  I can see an era where your head gear features a HUD.  If that qualifies as a helmet...so be it.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Helmets in golf?  Nope, don't think so. I'd probably make $100. 00 selling fur lined spoons before that happens. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

It’s gonna take a hell of a lot lawsuits. Most of us alive today would never see this day. However the grounds keepers at my course do wear hard shelled sun hats while working. 

Why not ,I could get a really heavy one which will stop me looking up and topping the ball . Wouldn't have to shout FORE! with as much force knowing the guys up front are protected and will be able to stick my head in the many bushes my balls end up in without face getting scratched  up .

They would be adapted in the future to include GPS ,a drinks wagon locator and a self exploding device if you register a 10 on any hole . (hey that 4 foot putt for a 9 will take on a whole different meaning  💥)

Edited by dogburger

I know i joked about it in another thread but it's never going to happen, at least not in our life times.

I dont think it would benefit the players/caddies from a safety standpoint much.

4 hours ago, Patch said:

Helmets in golf?  Nope, don't think so. I'd probably make $100. 00 selling fur lined spoons before that happens. 

It would need to be fake fur, need to be animal friendly and all that ;-)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Bubble wrap could be next, would be a good rain or windsuit too 😅

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

Come on! This could be great! Check out the cool look below! Style Baby!

helmet.jpg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

This just doesn’t seem plausible?!?

The story went on to say that golf is statistically a greater risk to participants than rugby, and that 16 to 41 percent of amateur golfers (presumably depending on the study, though none were cited) suffer some sort of golf-related injury each year.

Who the heck does these studies?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

6 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Ever heard of the OSHA cowboy?

Image result for osha cowboy

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

Lol it says no studies were cited.

I was going to break it down further but I don't think I need to 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

When did they stop wearing hard hats at The Masters? Or do they still? 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

I've played both. Rugby is by far more hazardous to cause injuries.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Full disclosure, I'm just now reading the article (can't pass up an opportunity to share the OSHA Cowboy).  What an incredibly stupid piece.  It acknowledges the sensationalized nature of the original story, then proceeds to go further down the sensationalization rabbit hole.  How on god's green earth can you even begin to consider rugby to actually cause a higher rate of injury?  The only remote possibility is to expand the scope of golf injury to include a slight strain from not warming up, blisters from new shoes, and blackout drunks falling off a cart. Even then, an inkling of common sense makes it obvious that you're going to get far more banged up over time playing rugby than golf.   

"Is the course you play hazardous to your health?"  Give me a break.  Might as well not get out of bed.  This kind of stuff bugs me...In my desk I currently have a utility knife with a rounded blade that can't cut for shit because the plant I work at doesn't allow pointed blades or personal pocket knives.  Meanwhile I go home and cook with a 9" chef's knife (which I keep as sharp as possible) that could easily sever my finger.  I get the importance of safety and all, but if you need to be spoonfed safety, you're probably already cozying up quite nicely with Mr. Darwin.

Author either has no common sense or needed to meet a quota...

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Note: This thread is 1960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!