IGNORED

Help, I Don't Have a Preshot Routine

Note: This thread is 1970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, so I made a VLOG and posted it a few weeks back. While putting that together I noticed I don't have a pre-shot routine. (Oddly, I kind of saw that I have one for putting, but not for full-shots) This season I played a lot and played well. My handicap is the lowest it's ever been. I started the year at 14 and change, I'm under 8 now. So, I'm excited about that and already looking forward to next season. We have snow on the ground as I type this. 

Here are my questions:
Do I have to have a pre-shot routine?
Can I take the next step without one?
Does every really good golfer have a pre-shot routine? 

and most importantly, how do I develop one if I've never had one?

Incidentally, I've been playing golf off and on since 1992. If it matters I also think I play pretty fast. I try not to have any swing thoughts. A lot of times I'll actually talk during my own swing. That seems to help me keep from getting bogged down in swing thoughts. It also tends to be the way I practice. At the range I tend see a lot of the same guys. We all chit chat. I generally work on what ever it is I'm working on while chit-chatting. Other times I go with a very simple swing thought. I imagine the ball is the head of a nail and I'm nailing it into a baseboard with a really weird shaped long hammer. That's about it. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a "pr" for club selection, ball landing areas, green reads, alignment, and aim. It helps my game. It saves me strokes.

Does a golfer need one? IDK, but I also believe all golfers have one rather the know it, or not. 

Another plus for having a "pr" is that if used correctly, it can cancel out the negative effects on  a golfer's game due to slower play. It helps put a golfer's brain in swing mode, regardless of the distractions.

Edited by Patch
  • Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

36 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Here are my questions:
Do I have to have a pre-shot routine?
Can I take the next step without one?
Does every really good golfer have a pre-shot routine? 

and most importantly, how do I develop one if I've never had one?

1. What you are doing now may be a pre-shot routine. Do you do the same things every time, even if they are subconscious?

2. I am not sure of the quantifiable benefits of a pre-shot routine. I think making a few things consistent like: seeing your shot, finding your target line, lining up correctly will help out. I do not make the typical practice swing, but how I go from shot visualization to hitting the ball is very consistent.

3. Maybe, depends on if you are losing shots by things like not lining up consistently.

4. I don't know of one PGA Tour player who doesn't have some sort of pre-shot routine.

5. Come up with something you can do consistently and make it concise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

After striking a drive right down the middle I approach the ball with eager expectations of making a beautiful approach shot. The ball is sitting up nicely in the well manicured fairway. 140yds to the middle of the green, pin up front. It’s the nine iron. I feel it. It goes like this:

1. Stand behind the ball seeing the shot. It’s magical. (Water on the left, I’m left handed and a shank would ruin me.)

2. Approach the ball relaxed with target in mind. Deep breath and relax. ( I envision the hall of golf gods like the cartoon ones from the early episodes of Shazam.) Please..not on this shot. 

3. A small take of the club back just for feel. Yeah, that feels good.

4. Pull the trigger.

5. A beautiful wrist cracking shank. Just a gorgeous curve with a whizzing sound like a flight of angry bees. Skip, skip, splash.

6. Why? Why do you do this to me? 

7. Golf is hard.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Alright, take all your change in your left hand pocket. Go on, do it. Now, tie your left shoe in a double knot.
Turn your hat around.   Right now, do it! Turn your hat backwards. Turn your hat around. Do it! Take this tee and stick it behind your left ear.  What do you think you look like shooting chili peppers up Lee Janzen’s ass? Do it now or I’m going to quit. I swear to God. Good. Take this ball and hit it up the fairway.

You’re ready.

• Like 1

Bill - 

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

Alright, take all your change in your left hand pocket. Go on, do it. Now, tie your left shoe in a double knot.
Turn your hat around.   Right now, do it! Turn your hat backwards. Turn your hat around. Do it! Take this tee and stick it behind your left ear.  What do you think you look like shooting chili peppers up Lee Janzen’s ass? Do it now or I’m going to quit. I swear to God. Good. Take this ball and hit it up the fairway.

You’re ready.

You just gave away the one, and only true secret to the golf swing You just put countless golf swing instructors out of work. 

BTW, you forgot about the getting drunk part.......

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to Help, I Don't Have a Preshot Routine
  • Administrator

You don't "need" a pre-shot routine, but having one will generally help a little bit.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just started with one these past few weeks.  Aim the shot, take grip as I walk. up to address, take stance while squaring the ball, no more than 2 wags then shoot.  It has two effects: make all aspects of the shot flow together and makes me decide and shoot, no over thinking.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I think everybody has a pre-shot routine...whether they are aware of it or not.  They are all effective.  The question is: effective at what?

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I think a pre-shot can help as long as it is not too long a time! 

I usually try and stay loose while my playing partners are taking their shots. I don't disturb them, but will stretch a bit because as I get older I stiffen up a bit.

When it is my turn, I may take a partial practice swing to emphasize a certain feel that I am working on. Then I pick a target, align to target, set up, waggle once and swing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Personally, I rarely take a practice swing on a full shot. For me it seems to give me too much time to think. Plus, if something doesn't feel quite right in my practice swing then all kinds of CRUD (Confusion, Regret, Uncertainty, and Doubt) can creep in. I really try not to over think. Once I've selected a club, picked a target, and decided what type of shot to hit. I like to get up there and whack it. 

On a partial shot, a pitch or chip or sometimes even a sand shot it's a little difference. I will take a couple (I don't know how many) practice swings to try to get a feel for the distance control I need for the shot. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Personally, I rarely take a practice swing on a full shot. For me it seems to give me too much time to think. Plus, if something doesn't feel quite right in my practice swing then all kinds of CRUD (Confusion, Regret, Uncertainty, and Doubt) can creep in. I really try not to over think. Once I've selected a club, picked a target, and decided what type of shot to hit. I like to get up there and whack it. 

On a partial shot, a pitch or chip or sometimes even a sand shot it's a little difference. I will take a couple (I don't know how many) practice swings to try to get a feel for the distance control I need for the shot. 

I actually don’t know what I do for sure, but given the divot pattern, I think I take two practice swings step up then hit. 😁

It’s a feel thing because I’m rarely on a nice flat lie and the first swing kind of brushes the ground and the second one is a full swing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't have a set pre-shot routine and it hasn't stopped me from playing mediocre golf 😉

I have some kind of pre-shot activity, it's just not the same every time.

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

I actually don’t know what I do for sure, but given the divot pattern, I think I take two practice swings step up then hit. 😁

It’s a feel thing because I’m rarely on a nice flat lie and the first swing kind of brushes the ground and the second one is a full swing.

You make divots with your practice swings? 🤯

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

43 minutes ago, billchao said:

You make divots with your practice swings? 🤯

😁

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

20 hours ago, Piz said:

I think everybody has a pre-shot routine...whether they are aware of it or not.  They are all effective.  The question is: effective at what?

My thought exactly, Piz! I'd bet the OP has a pre-shot routine but just hasn't recognized it yet!

And it doesn't have to take forever and a day! It can be quite fast, which is how I like to play. See the shot and hit it! The longer I fidget around, the worse the shot will be. 

Note: This thread is 1970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!