IGNORED

Overrated/Underrated (Golf) Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 1360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Overrated/Underrated #17: Getting Custom Fit for a Putter.

The way I look at "Overrated/Underrated", I'm trying to get into the mind of the golfing population at large.  In this specific case, I believe that custom fitted putters get very little emphasis, well below driver or iron fittings.  Having said that, then, I'd say putter fittings are UNDERRATED by the general golfing public.  I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that its essential for everyone, but I do believe that many people could benefit from having a properly fit putter.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Underrated.

I don't see how fitting the tool to the mechanic that most of us use 25-30 times a round for a stroke that has a relatively low skill requirement (mechanically) could be overrated. There are a lot of 'good' putter out there who think/feel they are bad but just have a tool that does not agree with their stroke. This is where I think money can buy a bit of game.  

The fitting process in itself is very educational in what we think we do and what we actually do. 

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I know we did the overrated/underrated custom fitting already. But this time I am specifically interested in putter fitting. I'm considering going through a putter fitting, but can't quite bring myself to commit yet. I know @Saevel25 got custom fit for his putter, so I'd be interested in his opinion. I know @iacas does custom putter fittings. What do the rest of you think? BTW - If this topic is too close the other custom fitting topic feel free to boot it. 

Im gonna buck the trend of my friends Dave and V above. Overrated. I think to improve putting, you can:

• learn good form,
  • learn to read putts with courses like Aimpoint, and 
  • practice effectively.

The icing on the cake would be to then find the right club that matches your eye and your stroke, but the other things should be done first- hence I’ll assign the overrated tag to it. We don’t have unlimited time and money.

For those trying to get every stroke gained possible out of their game- yes, absolutely. Putter fitting is probably smart part of the process to squeeze every gain possible out of your skills and agree that a good fitting is likely  educational too.

With that stipulated, many of us bogey golfers who still can’t get near the green often enough in regulation, and muddle by with losing 4-5 strokes putting without much investment in learning or practicing to putt, can likely look elsewhere for more stroke improvement initially.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator

Underrated, for the reasons @DaveP043 said.

10 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Im gonna buck the trend of my friends Dave and V above. Overrated. I think to improve putting, you can:

•  learn good form,
  • learn to read putts with courses like Aimpoint, and 
  • practice effectively.

@RandallT, I saw a guy - a kid actually - who aimed his putter on about an 8' putt over two feet left of the hole (by laser, so over 1' left of the hole).

That person can practice all he wants, and to be a good putter, he's going to develop an in-to-out, super blocky type putting stroke. He'll have to.

He has almost no chance of doing the three things you listed above, because he'll be handicapped from the start with a poor ability to aim his putter.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

40 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Underrated.

I don't see how fitting the tool to the mechanic that most of us use 25-30 times a round for a stroke that has a relatively low skill requirement (mechanically) could be overrated. There are a lot of 'good' putter out there who think/feel they are bad but just have a tool that does not agree with their stroke. This is where I think money can buy a bit of game.  

The fitting process in itself is very educational in what we think we do and what we actually do. 

I don't disagree with what you are saying, I'm just curious about the numbers. 25-30 times per round??? Could I argue that the number you need a putter for is much less than that? For example, last season I averaged 31.5 putts per round (according to Arccos. Did I mention I like Arccos? … I digress). Of those I would say 1/3 of them I could have had the same results with virtually any putter, and 1/3 of them I could probably had the same results by using my lob wedge. So, by my math there are probably 10ish putts per round (on average) where I have a chance to make some hay. How much will custom fitting help? If you say 5% that means I can expect to make 1 more putt every other round. If you say 10% that means 1 putt per round????

Am I thinking about this correctly or am I totally off base?
Seriously, this is where I struggle with the putter custom fitting thing. Please shoot holes in my theory. 

• Informative 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Am I thinking about this correctly or am I totally off base?
Seriously, this is where I struggle with the putter custom fitting thing. Please shoot holes in my theory. 

That's easy.

I've seen it help golfers multiple strokes per round.

You've not seen the number of putter fittings I've seen - the vast majority of people (over 90%) can't aim inside the hole from 6-8 feet with their putter.

Their strokes are, by their very nature, full of compensations.

Virtually nobody has a putter that fits their distance control/feel either. It's lower, but still over 70%.

Making one more short putt and controlling your distance better on a few longer putts can easily shave two strokes from someone's putting.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well, this teaches me not to dispute the wisdom of @DaveP043 and @GolfLug!

I found it surprising that someone can’t learn a better stroke independent of a fitting (that was much of my reasoning: “learn the stroke first”), but I can definitely see how a fitting would enhance learning a better stroke.

Good topic and when I get playing again, probably something to look at. Learning Aimpoint on your trip down here to VA was definitely helpful, I’ll say that. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Underrated. Being able to aim you putter "Dead on Balls Accurate" is paramount to good putting. Having the putter fit you so you make a repeatable good stroke is also key.

#1 and 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

In general I'd say underrated, but not for the reasons one might think initially. It's easy to add or remove weight to a putter you already have to help with your distance control if you prefer something lighter or heavier, but you're never going to properly aim a putter that doesn't have the correct characteristics for you.

I cannot aim a 2-ball style putter for the life of me, and most mallets I also aim a bit off. My old Newport mid-slant was a putter that I aimed well, but I ended up "outgrowing it" since it was only a 32" shaft (cut down for when I was a junior) and it would require re-shafting for me. What I found that I can aim the best, actually, and I appreciate the heavier weight of is something like the Newport Notchback. Something about the notches helps me really bracket the ball in the center of the face and line the face up where I want the putt to roll. 

If you can align your putter correctly you can learn proper fundamentals for putting even if the weight and length is a little bit off on the putter. If you can't align the face properly and consistently you'll find it near impossible.

• Informative 1

Overrated/Underrated #17: Getting Custom Fit for a Putter

Underrated

It's a weird thing, I've messed around with grips and strokes and different putters entirely, and getting one that holds comfy, feels right during use, and is --actually pointed where I think I'm pointing it at-- is a serious journey.

Top it off that it's such a custom thing that putter fitting has to be much more littered with subjective preferences, etc than a club fitting, that it must be more difficult.  So I'd say a really good fitting is hard to come by, and therefore is underrated.  A sales "fitting" or a just a bad fitting is likely very available and not worth too much as it tends to go like an eye exam - "so, you like this one or that one.....that one or the other one.....etc"

Edited by iacas
Please follow the rules

Bill - 

Overrated/Underrated #17: Getting Custom Fit for a Putter

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

In general I'd say underrated, but not for the reasons one might think initially. It's easy to add or remove weight to a putter you already have to help with your distance control if you prefer something lighter or heavier, but you're never going to properly aim a putter that doesn't have the correct characteristics for you.

I agree with @Pretzel.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

23 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Okay, you all have convinced me. I'm going to get custom fit... now the only question is where? 

Just now, ChetlovesMer said:

Okay, you all have convinced me. I'm going to get custom fit... now the only question is where? 

I believe @iacas does Edel putter fittings at his facility, Golf Evolution, in Erie, PA. Not all that far from Central Ohio.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

6 minutes ago, klineka said:

I believe @iacas does Edel putter fittings at his facility, Golf Evolution, in Erie, PA. Not all that far from Central Ohio.

Hmmm.....??

@iacas, what would I need to do to get an appointment? I assume I'd want to bring my current putter? Do I have to wait for "good" weather? 

7 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Hmmm.....??

@iacas, what would I need to do to get an appointment? I assume I'd want to bring my current putter? Do I have to wait for "good" weather? 

@iacas

BTW...off topic. Maybe PM him.😀

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

23 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Underrated,

I would have said overrated before I got my Edel Putter. After seeing how dramatic a change a person can get just by removing or adding alignment marks on a putter was an eye opener. Then you start to pay attention to other golfers on the course, and you see them aiming way offline only to try to save the putt by manipulating the putter dramatically.

A properly fitted putter is a big relief.

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Miles of Golf is a great place in Cincinnati.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Overrated/Underrated #18: The importance (or lack of importance) of leaving yourself "below the hole" on approach shots/chips.

TV announcers always seem to make a big deal about whether the player is above or below the hole with their approach shot. 

I know LSW talks about this a bit but curious to hear if you think it is over or underrated by most golfers.

Edited by klineka
  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 1360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!