Sign in to follow this  
Mr Puddle

What Mobile Phone Do You Have?

15 posts / 3253 viewsLast Reply

In the UK most people are obsessed with Samsung, Iphone, or Huawei. All these phones are very good, but expensive. Like everything I ever purchase, I research the given product carefully, looking at specification, price, and user reviews. The fourth biggest selling make of phone in the World is actually Xiaomi, although their sales are mainly in Asia. Nine months ago after reading many reviews and watching YouTube videos, I bought a Xiaomi Redmi 4x. The phone has a 5" screen, 3gb of ram, 32gb storage, and a Snapdragon processor. It also comes in a less powerful model with a smaller storage, and more powerful model with more storage. The phone is simply unbelievable for the money. It is very well put together, it is incredibly fast, the 400mhz battery lasts up to three days, and the additional Xiaomi apps are excellent. This phone cost me £99 ($120) on eBay, and as such I bought the "note" version for my wife. So, the next time you need a mobile phone, have a look at the range. Oh, and by the way, I do not work for them 

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I don't believe that phone has broken into the US market, at least I've not heard of it.  That is an incredible price for any cell phone.  

I've chosen Verizon as my carrier and am limited to their phones as my choice (unless I buy one that has been jailbroke).   I have a LGV30 from LG.   It is an Android phone and cost way too much.  

Display 6.0", 2880 x 1440 pixels, 538 ppi, QHD+ FullVision OLED
Capacitive touchscreen
Corning Gorilla Glass 5
What's Inside Android 7.1 (Nougat)
Octa-core processor (2.45 GHz quad-core + 1.9 GHz quad-core)
128 GB; 4 GB RAM
External memory up to 2 TB (microSD)
Nano-SIM Card
Battery 3300 mAh
Talk Time: Up to 26 hours
Wireless charging
Quick Charge 3.0
Camera & Video 16 MP with f/1.6 aperture and OIS + 13 MP camera with f/1.9 aperture, wide-angle, HDR and LED flash
Video recording (4K 2160p@30fps, Slo-mo 720p@240fps)
5.0 MP front-facing camera with f/2.2 aperture and wide-angle
Design Bar with touchscreen
Black
15.2 x 7.5 x 0.7 cm
158 grams
Network & Connectivity LTE/UMTS/GSM/CDMA
GPS, A-GPS
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Mobile hotspot
Bluetooth 5.0 + BLE
USB 2.0 Type-C
Other

IP68 certified (dust-resistant, water resistant up to approx. 1.5 metres for 30 mins)
MIL-STD-810G certified
Fingerprint scanner
Face recognition

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They're thieves of the highest order. That's why it's so cheap - it's a blatant rip-off. A knock-off.

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I don't believe that phone has broken into the US market, at least I've not heard of it.  That is an incredible price for any cell phone.  

I've chosen Verizon as my carrier and am limited to their phones as my choice (unless I buy one that has been jailbroke).   I have a LGV30 from LG.   It is an Android phone and cost way too much.  

Display 6.0", 2880 x 1440 pixels, 538 ppi, QHD+ FullVision OLED
Capacitive touchscreen
Corning Gorilla Glass 5
What's Inside Android 7.1 (Nougat)
Octa-core processor (2.45 GHz quad-core + 1.9 GHz quad-core)
128 GB; 4 GB RAM
External memory up to 2 TB (microSD)
Nano-SIM Card
Battery 3300 mAh
Talk Time: Up to 26 hours
Wireless charging
Quick Charge 3.0
Camera & Video 16 MP with f/1.6 aperture and OIS + 13 MP camera with f/1.9 aperture, wide-angle, HDR and LED flash
Video recording (4K 2160p@30fps, Slo-mo 720p@240fps)
5.0 MP front-facing camera with f/2.2 aperture and wide-angle
Design Bar with touchscreen
Black
15.2 x 7.5 x 0.7 cm
158 grams
Network & Connectivity LTE/UMTS/GSM/CDMA
GPS, A-GPS
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Mobile hotspot
Bluetooth 5.0 + BLE
USB 2.0 Type-C
Other

IP68 certified (dust-resistant, water resistant up to approx. 1.5 metres for 30 mins)
MIL-STD-810G certified
Fingerprint scanner
Face recognition

They have just opened their first shop in the UK, but as yet few people have heard of them. They are of course available on eBay, and the range is quite extensive.  Here is a link to a youtube video.

Mine is iPhone SE.  I like the size.  Had 6 for over a year but I like SE size much better.

I have a Nokia 2610.  Sometimes referred to as a "steam phone".

Being a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy, I use an lg Stylo 1 phone. The Stylo 4 has been out for quite a while now, so my old phone is pretty much out dated by quite a while. It still works quite well, and usually out performs my wife's much newer iPhone.  

I use mine for just about everything. Phone, internet, tv, texts, and anything else I can use it for. 

I can get  a Stylo 4 for $120.00 but I am looking for Stylo 3 model, since concensus is that it is a much better phone than the 4. Folks buying the 4, are wanting their 3 back. 

The biggest gripe I have with cell phones is they won't let you transfer most of the preloaded Apps they come with to the secondary memory chip. Even alot of the  Apps I might download can't be transferred.  

15 hours ago, Shindig said:

I like my Samsung Galaxy S3.

My S3 died in October - so I upgraded to a Moto g6 play (unlocked). It was $200 out the door, plus $45 on Amazon for a new case & screen protectors. Amazing battery life, although the camera is fine as far as quality there is a slight pause/hesitation when it takes the first photo. Super happy for the price (vs $750-$1,000+ for newest Samsung, Apple, etc)

@dennyjones my carrier is Verizon, but you can bring any unlocked phone to their service. I went to Best Buy, because everything directly from Verizon is way over priced.

Thanks @Wally Fairway.   My daughter had to have the LG so I copied her.   For her next phone, I definitely will be looking at Amazon and Best Buy.     

I had a S3 and a S5 also.   They were good phones.

I'm an Apple guy. I have the Iphone X, but I waited until the Xs had been released and picked it up much cheaper. I have Apple computers, Ipads, an Apple Watch, everything just works together in great harmony.

I hated Apple for years until I was forced by my work to start using an Apple computer. Two months later my entire family switched over and we have never looked back.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:02 AM, Mr Puddle said:

They have just opened their first shop in the UK, but as yet few people have heard of them. They are of course available on eBay, and the range is quite extensive.  Here is a link to a youtube video.

Not bad at all! They’re one of the largest phone makers in the world because the cater to China and other emerging nations.

I had borrowed one when I forgot my iPhone 8 Plus, and it worked very well. Nice features, but due to patents and other things it behaved very different from my iPhone. I was glad to be back to my iPhone...

I also like the two Amazon Fire tablets I got for Father’s Day. Better than my iPad mini 4, but I use all of them around the house for assorted things.

I've got an old Samsung Galaxy S4. Why? Because it was free. I had just received it as a work phone from the company. Retired 4 weeks later, asked them what I should do with the phone, and they told me to send them the SIM card, and gave me an address of the recycling company I was supposed to send the phone to. A 4 week old phone going to get trashed?? Told them I was going to take the phone with me, and I'd send it to the recycler when I was done with it.

As an old guy that usually has the phone sitting on my desk in vibrate mode, with a dead battery, I only use it when I'm away from home or driving somewhere, so I just buy a $20 prepaid card from Tracfone every quarter. For $80 a year I have over 3000 available minutes, 3000 available texts, and 3 GB of available data.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:37 AM, Wally Fairway said:

My S3 died in October - so I upgraded to a Moto g6 play (unlocked). It was $200 out the door, plus $45 on Amazon for a new case & screen protectors. Amazing battery life, although the camera is fine as far as quality there is a slight pause/hesitation when it takes the first photo. Super happy for the price (vs $750-$1,000+ for newest Samsung, Apple, etc)

@dennyjones my carrier is Verizon, but you can bring any unlocked phone to their service. I went to Best Buy, because everything directly from Verizon is way over priced.

Moto G5 and Moto G4 for SWMBO. Use Consumer Cellular as my needs are minimal and also they piggyback on both AT&T and T-Mobile. The cameras are decent as well.