IGNORED

10 Finger or Baseball Grip

Krazy883
Note: This thread is 1902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use to play with a 10 finger grip when I was younger and played with a single digit handicap.  Gave up golf for years because of shoulder injuries and only started playing again about 6 months ago and can't get out of 90's . Anyone else using an orthodontist grip.

I use baseball grip. Don’t know what orthodontist grip is.  I use baseball grip, use to use overlap be, because of pain in fingers. I have become more consistent with 10 finger grip. 

2 hours ago, Krazy883 said:

Anyone else using an orthodontist grip.

Only when the orthodontist has hit a nerve and I'm gripping the chair with a death grip.   ;-)

I've not heard of an orthodontist grip but I have heard of people using the 10 finger / baseball grip.    I've not seen anyone that uses it but there are people that do.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some of my older golfing friends use the 10 finger grip. It help with their arthritis issues. One guy likes it because he has small hands. 

I still use the Vardon grip, and have even messed around with Furyk's grip on a few occassions. Both are still comfortable me to use. 

I figure if I ever have problems with my hands, I will switch to the 10 finger grip. I've tried it already, and it does not feel that uncomfortable to me. 

What ever works for the individual. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I used an overlapping grip until I started taking lessons. My instructor told me to switch to 10 fingers and now it just feels natural to me.

4 hours ago, Krazy883 said:

I use to play with a 10 finger grip when I was younger and played with a single digit handicap.  Gave up golf for years because of shoulder injuries and only started playing again about 6 months ago and can't get out of 90's . Anyone else using an orthodontist grip.

Grip is such a personal matter I believe. The most difficult obstacle with grip changes is patience. Usually one will take the new grip; Vardon, interlock, strong, weak...and immediately feel like they’re holding a knotted tree branch from the Jurassic period. So they hate it and go right back to what feels comfortable. If you’re able to deliver the club face as you want with a 10 finger/baseball grip..or hell even an orthodontist grip (lol...sorry) then so be it. 

There’s also this to browse:

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I've never been able to make the 10 finger grip work for me. I started out with the interlock then switched to the Vardon. I did so because the nail on my right pinkie finger would dig a hole in the pocket between my left index and middle fingers. I figured I had to be doing something wrong and switched.

I've read that the interlock is meant for guys with shorter fingers, which certainly describes me. My palms are huge and my fingers short in comparison. I know a bit more about the grip these days so I may try the interlock again this year. 

10 finger for me. I have small hands so it helps me grip the club. Vardon hurts my little finger.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

9 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I've never been able to make the 10 finger grip work for me. I started out with the interlock then switched to the Vardon. I did so because the nail on my right pinkie finger would dig a hole in the pocket between my left index and middle fingers. I figured I had to be doing something wrong and switched.

I've read that the interlock is meant for guys with shorter fingers, which certainly describes me. My palms are huge and my fingers short in comparison. I know a bit more about the grip these days so I may try the interlock again this year. 

This is why I switched to the Vardon as well.

A close friend of mine plays to a 6 HC with a ten finger grip. As others have mention, it is really what works for your hands. As long as it allows you good contact and control of the club, I wouldn't worry about it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Ten finger grip is not inherently bad. Plenty good swings out there with this. Having said that IMO if you have an overly dominant right side and tendency to flip at contact, 10 finger grip can magnify  it. 

Vishal S.

• iacas changed the title to 10 Finger or Baseball Grip
13 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Ten finger grip is not inherently bad. Plenty good swings out there with this. Having said that IMO if you have an overly dominant right side and tendency to flip at contact, 10 finger grip can magnify  it. 

For me a ten finger grip works very well for a while, but then it is very easy for the right hand to want to take control and  everything falls apart.

13 hours ago, GolfLug said:

4 minutes ago, arturo28mx said:

For me a ten finger grip works very well for a while, but then it is very easy for the right hand to want to take control and  everything falls apart.

You guys read my mind! I guess I have a "twitchy" right hand. I have to find a way to try to keep it out of the swing as much as possible. 

In my younger days, I used to use the interlocking grip.  As I've gotten older, I've switched to the baseball grip.  I've found it's easier on my hands and fingers over the course of a round.  Not to mention, it's easier with my "raccoon hands", as my girlfriend likes to call them.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

Did interlocking for most of my golf past.  However, now that my right hand has become arthritic, the baseball grip is not only more comfortable, I have become really consistent.

• Like 1

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Note: This thread is 1902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!