IGNORED

100 Yard Options

Note: This thread is 1528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Until you find a club to fit that yardage I’d really focus on distance control with the pw. My suggestion, if you don’t already is to download a golf app that gives GPS yardage. I use 18 birdies. Focus on the length of the backswing necessary to generate the correct distance when you hit the half wedge, 3/4 wedge and in time you will feel automatic from the yardage. I had that problem last year. I can hit my gap 110 or so. My 56 on a full swing is 70-80 so I had to learn to take the right amount off of the gap for everything from 75-105 and in time, knowing my exact yardage, it became very easy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

Sure, complete breakdown:

1w: 280 or so - varies

3w: 220-235 - I fade this if I am not careful, and those only go about 200 I bet.

5w: 200-210 - not entirely sure, I do not use it much, so my data comes mostly from the range

3h: 190-200

4h: new club - so far it's about at the 180-185 mark (shaft same as the 3h)

5h: 170-175 (shorter shaft than the 3h and 4h)

6i: 160-165

7i: 150-155

8i: 140 - I'm a little iffy on this.  Sometimes I hit it 160 yards.  No idea why.

9i: 135 or so, and then occasionally much farther.  No idea.

pw: 125 or so (46 degree)

gw: 85-90  <-- removed (52 degree, short shaft)

sw: 80-85 turf and maybe 30 coming out of sand flop style (56 degree)

lw: 40-65 - I practice a lot varying the face, but this is my full swing (60 degree)

With your putter that is fifteen clubs. Your gap and SW are really close together, I think I would look for a different gap wedge.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/8/2019 at 2:18 PM, Cantankerish said:

pw: 125 or so (46 degree)

gw: 85-90  <-- removed (52 degree, short shaft)

sw: 80-85 turf and maybe 30 coming out of sand flop style (56 degree)

lw: 40-65 - I practice a lot varying the face, but this is my full swing (60 degree)

Yes, you need to dial in on getting the right gap wedge. Mine is 50* and I hit it about 100 yards and love the club as this is a common approach distance for me and feel very comfortable with it in my hand. My PW is 45* and I hit it about 120 yards I like this club too. Something else to consider is the milling/grooves on wedges. If you have a mixed set this might be a reason that you are seeing inconsistent gaps between clubs. If the face of the wedge causes it to spin more, it could cause the ball to carry fewer yards than expected just based on loft.

• Informative 1

13 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

Until you find a club to fit that yardage I’d really focus on distance control with the pw. My suggestion, if you don’t already is to download a golf app that gives GPS yardage. I use 18 birdies. Focus on the length of the backswing necessary to generate the correct distance when you hit the half wedge, 3/4 wedge and in time you will feel automatic from the yardage. I had that problem last year. I can hit my gap 110 or so. My 56 on a full swing is 70-80 so I had to learn to take the right amount off of the gap for everything from 75-105 and in time, knowing my exact yardage, it became very easy.

I had been wondering about that.  There is so much to learn.  The idea of being automatic with partial swings is hard for me to envision.  I have a feeling that I will really need the gap wedge, and I imagine a 50 degree wedge is where to look.  So I guess I will take the 5w out.  Not sure.

Also, I have an app for yardages. It is how I know my bag so well.  Anyway, thanks again, guys.  You all have been very helpful.

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

I had been wondering about that.  There is so much to learn.  The idea of being automatic with partial swings is hard for me to envision.  I have a feeling that I will really need the gap wedge, and I imagine a 50 degree wedge is where to look.  So I guess I will take the 5w out.  Not sure.

Also, I have an app for yardages. It is how I know my bag so well.  Anyway, thanks again, guys.  You all have been very helpful.

It just takes time to learn just how far back you have to go with your back swing but in time you really can. Even when you find that perfect 100 yard club you will have shots at 90 or 95. It’s all about feel. 

Me personally,  By the end of last season at the club champ I started on 10. I had less than full gap wedge for my 2nd on 10,11,14 to start my round. I went close to pin high, pin high and nearly holed the 3rd for tap in bird range. Even after 5 holes and having that confidence in my distance control had a lot to do with it. 

Edited by Dunit507
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

12 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

I don’t think you need to take any clubs out?

You have two almost overlapping clubs, I’d figure out how to setup the less lofted one to go 100.

Given the distances you quoted, you drive farther than me, although my irons seem to go farther and my 56 comfortably goes 100 yards with a decent flight and enough spin to stop and drop on good shots. If I open the face, shorter but higher.

I use that club for everything inside 100 yards, except deep bunkers and that’s where I use my 60.

Hope this gives you a reference point?

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You have got to get to a point where you learn to hit shots. Sounds like you try to kill the ball on every swing. Practice hitting your 8 iron 100 yards. Shorter slower swings are easier to control once you get the crush it mentality out of your system.

• Thumbs Up 2

Of course there is a stock shot that we all try to hit certain distances, but I don't think theres a set formula for any shot in golf in that you do this or that and you get "x" result every time. Especially with shots 100 yards and in. I think its one of those things a player has to figure out on their own either on the range or the course using the tools they have and imagination for the game. I think getting stuck on rigid formulas sometimes gets in the way of a players natural athletic instincts.  I think most of us can feel our way through those distances - know that on this day and that shot, a typical SW (or whatever you hit 100 yards) isnt going to work. What ever the club or swing might be - if it feels right -  Hit it. Committing to the choice is most important. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What worked for me - for a few weeks when I didn't have time to play, I went to the range, bought the largest bucket they had (150 balls or so), and did nothing but hit various wedges different distances.  Didn't take a single full swing.  After about 5 of these sessions my wedge play from 30-110 yards improved immensely.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/7/2019 at 2:43 PM, Cantankerish said:

So much information.

I think the pitching wedge is a 46 degree loft (Adams Tight Lies).  I like the 50 degree loft idea quite a bit, actually.  The 52 degree gap wedge I had been using was pretty short, shorter than my lob wedge.  Nobody commented on that, but I have to assume that this has something to do with the reduced distance, perhaps combined with the relatively high loft.

I now feel that I can look for a 50 degree wedge with a normal length for my next step and learn it.  I do not think I am ready to try editing the angle of the club face for a shot so far away, but previously I did not even know to try it!  Seems reasonable though.  I am getting pretty good at my 40 yard flop, which I gather uses a similar technique.

Thank you all a bundle. I am learning a lot.

If you have enough bounce you could have the 52 bent to 50. 10, 15 bucks perhaps.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/11/2019 at 10:35 AM, gbogey said:

What worked for me - for a few weeks when I didn't have time to play, I went to the range, bought the largest bucket they had (150 balls or so), and did nothing but hit various wedges different distances.  Didn't take a single full swing.  After about 5 of these sessions my wedge play from 30-110 yards improved immensely.  

Yeah, this was a good idea.  I began this today.  Just honestly hitting the clubs and noting the yardages together has already taught me some beginning statistics.  I think that the last time I tried something like this I was not consistent enough with the clubs to get much of a read.  I can see what my next goal is, and it feels wonderful to have a target to shoot for (figurative and literal)

Thank you again.

Also, I bought a used 50 degree club at the advice from posters here, and I have got rid of the 5-wood, so I'm back to four wedges.

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 9:58 PM, David in FL said:

Trade that 52* wedge for a 50*.  

Been awhile.  This is precisely what I did.  I have been extremely pleased with this outcome.  After months of experience with this club, I feel quite confident with it. It hits about 100-110, nice high arc.  Stops on a dime when the green is soft.

Thx

• Upvote 1

100yards a distance I like as it a full shot with the 56 wedge or a soft 52 deg (If playing into wind full 52)

Go Foxy Go

sometimes if i'm feeling stiff at the range or am struggling to make good contact i'll practice hitting 50y-150y shots with every iron/wedge in the bag that can reach those distances.

e.g. i aim to get the feel for bouncing a 3i up to the 50y, 75y, 100y, and 150y targets at the range, playing around with tempo, backswing length, club path, face angle and ball position.

i believe this exercise not only helps with ball-striking but can improve confidence by creating more options on the course.  i do still think it's useful to have a stock 100y shot for ideal conditions but as a predominantly feel player i like as many options as possible. plus, imho it makes the game (and practice) a lot more fun and interesting.

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:30 PM, p1n9183 said:

Pitching Wedge: 130
Sand Wedge: 90

That´s a big gap! You gap wedge need to be a club you hit 110. The one you bougth hits 90, that´s not what you need. Sell it and by another with 48..49° and see if you can hit it 110.

This is how I fill the gaps:

I hit my full 43° = 140
Full 47° = 130
3/4 43° = 120
3/4 47° = 110
3/4 51° = 100
3/4 56° = 85
3/4 60° = 75

I don´t like to hit full swings with my wedges anymore.

It's very rarely I'll hit a full wedge for 100yds, if I've got a straight run at the green I'll take a 7i at 1/2 swing, almost a bump and run, if not it'll be a gap wedge at 3/4. I just want it on the green with the least amount of drama. 

40 minutes ago, Intruder1800 said:

It's very rarely I'll hit a full wedge for 100yds, if I've got a straight run at the green I'll take a 7i at 1/2 swing, almost a bump and run, if not it'll be a gap wedge at 3/4. I just want it on the green with the least amount of drama. 

I’m curious about that.  I like the high loft because the ball will sit. Are you talking about the issue of errant strikes or is there some benefit to that low kind of short approach shot you are referring to that is not apparent to me?

27 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

I’m curious about that.  I like the high loft because the ball will sit. Are you talking about the issue of errant strikes or is there some benefit to that low kind of short approach shot you are referring to that is not apparent to me?

Yes, purely to reduce the risk of errant strikes but only if I've a straight run at the green, I'm not that accurate with a full wedge. My local courses have quite small greens with out of bounds very close to them so it's risk management really.

• 1 month later...

Heh.  So I have been working on getting a proper swing and something has happened.  I have increased the yardage I get off of my irons.  But it is not uniform.  The pitching wedge now goes about 140-145 (up from 120-125) while the gap wedge (50 degree) goes about 115, up from 100-105.  The Sand Wedge (56 degree I presume) does not go beyond 90 though (up from about 80). Strangely enough I am back to being without a 100 yard club.

I am not thrilled about the lob wedge these days.  She is a cruel mistress causing me occasional disasters.  So I am open to the idea of replacing her.  But I have to ask:

What wedges do you have in your bag?  What do you hit for 100 yards?

Note: This thread is 1528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!