IGNORED

Should Club Manufacturers Have to Standardize Loft?

Note: This thread is 1806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How should lofts be handled when producing irons.   

60 members have voted

1. 1. I'd like to see club manufacturers follow this protocol when it comes to lofting a set of irons:

• Manufacturers need to standardize on lofts. (i.e. all seven irons should be the same loft, no matter who makes them.)
    • Lofts need to be standardized within some range. (i.e. all seven irons should be made with in a range of lofts.)
    • Clubs numbers should be standardized based on how high they hit the ball. (Iron Byron testing, maybe?)
    • Clubs numbers should be standardized based on how much they spin the ball. (4-irons spin X, 5-irons spin Y... again, Iron Byron... maybe?)
    • Manufacturers can make clubs any loft they want, but lofts should be printed on the club INSTEAD of numbers. (no more 7-iron, now you get a 33 degree iron.)
    • Manufacturers can make clubs any loft they want, but lofts should be printed on the club IN ADDITION to the numbers. (now you get a number and a loft on your club.)
    • Quit your worrying. It doesn't matter what number is printed on the bottom of the club. You get the same score by hitting a club with a 7 printed on the bottom as if you hit a club with a 5 printed on the bottom.

Okay, so a I’m at Golf Galaxy with friends this weekend. We are all hitting different irons. None of us were seriously shopping, just looking. I wanted to see how far I could hit a Callaway Rogue X 7 iron.  I tagged that thing like 200 plus yards according to their launch monitor.
So, this guy walks up and says, “That iron is Bull5hit.” I kid you not, that’s a direct quote from a guy I’ve never met. I guess that’s how he introduces himself. We all stare at him. “All they did was jack the loft, that ain’t no 7 iron is a 5 iron.” 

None of us know what to say. This guy seems actually offended by the design of the Callaway Rogue X.

Now the good part. The fitter guy walks over and says “They had to deloft them because they are engineered to get the ball up. If they didn’t deloft it, the club will literally hit the ball too high…. Here let me show you.”

So, the fitter guy has me hit the Callaway Rogue X 7-iron and then the Titleist 718 MB. I hit the Callaway like 204 yards. I hit the Titleist just over 150. The angry guy is like “See, told you, it’s Bull5hit.” And he walks off.

The fitter however had us look at the spin numbers and the height. I spun the Rogue X just over 4500 and the Titleist almost 5100. Not that much different. The interesting part was the height was almost exactly the same. They were both almost exactly 35 yards and decent angles were almost identical.

So, the fitter guy made a good point that the angry guy missed. Maybe the number on the bottom of the club refers to the height you hit it, not the distance you hit it???????

I don’t know? What do you guys think?

Do manufacturers need to standardize on lofts?

Edited by iacas
removed many unnecessary blank lines

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

No. AFAIK you can find the lofts of all the major brands clubs on their websites so it's not like they are keeping the lofts a secret or something.

I'm surprised that random guy said something to you. He must feel really strongly about that. Yeesh.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator

It would make absolutely no sense to "require" them to do any such thing.

One club's 7-iron might go as far as another's 5-iron, so what are you accomplishing when they both say "7" on the bottom? Tons of things matter in addition to the static loft: clubhead speed, CG, shaft flex and length, dynamic loft… the ball being hit… etc.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to Should Club Manufacturers Have to Standardize Loft?

no.  just look at it this way.   the numbers on the bottom of the club are relative to each other, rather than relative to other club for other manufacturers. 

And the clubs are made for different types of golfers.   The Callaway Rogue X is a club that is designed for extra distance, and for it to be easy to get the ball up in the air.   That Titleist MB, obviously designed for constantly and a more penetrating ball flight.   

if you were to have some sort of signifying mark on a club that would some how be comparable across brands and styles that that Titlist MB would have to be called something like [35 degree, LS (low speed), PF (penetrating flight), LF (low forgiveness).   where as the Callaway 7 iron would have to be called something like [27 degree, HS, HF, HF].   it would be silly.  

the current information on the club is more than sufficient.  The titleist MB 7-iron flies lower and further than the 8 iron, but higher and shorter than the 6 iron.  

Edited by iacas
removed unneeded whitespace at the end
  • Like 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I do think the fitter has a duty to explain the difference in performance if he's doing a good job.  Just handing me a bunch of 7 irons doesn't mean I'm comparing apples to apples.

The number is a bit meaningless - they can print smiley faces on it for all I care.  But it is a nice way to track which of my clubs does what once I figure them out.

Bill - 

52 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Okay, so a I’m at Golf Galaxy with friends this weekend. We are all hitting different irons. None of us were seriously shopping, just looking. I wanted to see how far I could hit a Callaway Rogue X 7 iron.  I tagged that thing like 200 plus yards according to their launch monitor.
So, this guy walks up and says, “That iron is Bull5hit.” I kid you not, that’s a direct quote from a guy I’ve never met. I guess that’s how he introduces himself. We all stare at him. “All they did was jack the loft, that ain’t no 7 iron is a 5 iron.” 

None of us know what to say. This guy seems actually offended by the design of the Callaway Rogue X.

Now the good part. The fitter guy walks over and says “They had to deloft them because they are engineered to get the ball up. If they didn’t deloft it, the club will literally hit the ball too high…. Here let me show you.”

So, the fitter guy has me hit the Callaway Rogue X 7-iron and then the Titleist 718 MB. I hit the Callaway like 204 yards. I hit the Titleist just over 150. The angry guy is like “See, told you, it’s Bull5hit.” And he walks off.

The fitter however had us look at the spin numbers and the height. I spun the Rogue X just over 4500 and the Titleist almost 5100. Not that much different. The interesting part was the height was almost exactly the same. They were both almost exactly 35 yards and decent angles were almost identical.

So, the fitter guy made a good point that the angry guy missed. Maybe the number on the bottom of the club refers to the height you hit it, not the distance you hit it???????

I don’t know? What do you guys think?

I wrote about lofts in the review below. People are misunderstanding how the actual measured loft factors into design.

From the review:

Because the new 716 AP1 launches higher, Titleist lowered the lofts to keep the same launch angle. It is misconception that companies lower the club loft to get more distance through lower launch and more roll out. If a head has a lower center of gravity and launches higher, companies like Titleist lower the head loft to get the same optimum launch angle. More distance comes from faster ball speeds, which will give more carry.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/titleist_716_ap1_review

So basically the whiny guy at the shop doesn't understand club design. I underlined the critical part, optimum launch angle. The measured loft is only one variable.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The number shouldn't matter, only how far and how high YOU hit it.  Besides, who gets to decide?  Can you imagine the arguments between different manufacturers, each of whom think their way of doing things is the right way?   Each one trying to get some competitive edge on the others?  Oy, I'm getting a headache even imagining it.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

56 minutes ago, klineka said:

I'm surprised that random guy said something to you. He must feel really strongly about that. Yeesh.

Yeah, he was really mad. Like it was some kind of personal insult to him to have different lofts. He didn't even wait around to talk about it. It's not just different lofts; It's different everything. 

17 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

I do think the fitter has a duty to explain the difference in performance if he's doing a good job.  Just handing me a bunch of 7 irons doesn't mean I'm comparing apples to apples.

I think he did a good job. After all, none of us were really buying clubs or even getting fit for them. He probably just overheard profanity-man and figured he should come over and try to shed some light on the differences in design.

12 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

So basically the whiny guy at the shop doesn't understand club design. I underlined the critical part, optimum launch angle. The measured loft is only one variable.

It IS funny to me how often I hear this argument though. "Oh, they just made the lofts stronger." As if that's the only difference between the two clubs. It should take no time at all to look at the two clubs and realize they are about as similar as a sportscar and an SUV. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

That iron is Bull5hit

Sheesh. F***ing be a grown-up and type out the goddamn swear word.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The number shouldn't matter, only how far and how high YOU hit it.  Besides, who gets to decide?  Can you imagine the arguments between different manufacturers, each of whom think their way of doing things is the right way?   Each one trying to get some competitive edge on the others?  Oy, I'm getting a headache even imagining it.

Good point. It would be like regulating the number of people a car has to sit, and the size, shape etc...

Just now, iacas said:

Sheesh. F***ing be a grown-up and type out the goddamn swear word.

Two things:
1 - that's funny. Good use of irony.

2 - This is my "work" computer, never sure if that kind of 5hit gets flagged. 

I think the number on the club relates more to the other clubs in the Nathan other sets of clubs. I hit my 7i 150 yds.  I hit 9iin another set 150 yds. I play the distance not necessarily the club. 

8 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

2 - This is my "work" computer, never sure if that kind of 5hit gets flagged. 

I think they'd get you for being on a golf forum during work before they would for typing a swear word. 

As far as the topic goes, different iron designs will yield different results and they're after different types of players. If someone wants to hit a 7 iron 200 yards that's perfectly fine.  Maybe this guy was really butthurt about a buddy hitting his irons 20 yards longer than him?

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

I voted "Quit your worrying."

You are getting fitted for a set of irons. It doesn't matter what the number is on the bottom of the club.

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

16 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

I think they'd get you for being on a golf forum during work before they would for typing a swear word. 

Oh 5hit, I'm in trouble. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Oh 5hit, I'm in trouble. 

Hahahaha well played.

• Like 1

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Not sure why anyone cares so much about iron loft and what not. When I hit irons I just want the clubs to have correct gaps. The numbers on the bottom don't mean much, I only care about how far each one goes. I've never had two sets of irons that were exactly the same.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

The number is a bit meaningless - they can print smiley faces on it for all I care.  But it is a nice way to track which of my clubs does what once I figure them out.

A good Fitter does explain the difference, at least with every fitting I have either had done or been at with friends getting clubs.  Not only did my Fitter explain what the difference was between a Miura 7 Iron and a Mizuno 7 Iron he also explained why I should or should not consider one brand vs another while letting me choose which club head to focus on.

A good Fitter will also go into great length on the best shaft to us as well and explain why that particular shaft with that particular head works best and not. 

Then a good Fitter will also go into the grip

A good Fitter doesn't look at the loft of a particular brand, but how well those clubs gap and how best to maximize your game within your budget.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Note: This thread is 1806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!