IGNORED

Conservative play versus Aggressive

phillyk
Note: This thread is 2304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play mostly conservatively, mostly aggressive, or a little bit of both depending on situation?

• Mostly conservative
    • Mostly aggressive
    • A bit of both

I just wanted to see how people view their play in terms of whether they play more aggressively by attacking every pin, keeping it conservative and going for the middle of the green, or playing both ways based on the situation that arises for each hole.  I understand it really depends on skill level, but even people who have higher handicaps play mostly aggressive.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only thing in my game that I'd label as "aggressive" is that I tend to go for pins that aren't heavily guarded. Since I almost always do I had to vote for "a little of both", but I don't think anyone would label me as "aggressive" in my game. I don't try to carry hazards that I can't reasonably expect to (I lay up if in doubt), I don't hit more club than I can control, I aim away from trouble, I don't muscle any putts, and I don't go for greens or pins that are well protected if I'm too far away.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I would consider myself overly conservative. I will always be short on par putts knowing that if I am long its a guaranteed double at best.

The only time I will be aggressive is with long layups before hazards since if I hit it long it only costs me a stroke and not distance.

This strategy has helped me get closer to being a bogey golfer, but will probably stunt my growth if I dont get a bit more aggressive.

• Like 1

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

RIght now my goal is bogey or double bogey golf, so guess that makes me conservative.  Aggressive = not thinking for me, and almost always backfires.

Joe Paradiso

Learning your limitations on a golf course will greatly lower your scores. It's called course management. When you get on the tee, look at the hole in front of you. Where is the trouble? Where is the best place to miss? What is the best angle into the green? Most of the decisions to be made on the course evolve with conditions and how you're playing, but a proper mindset should be the goal of everyone.

If you come to a short par 4 with a heavily guarded green, don't just pull driver because there isn't too much trouble off the tee. Try to leave yourself a full shot that you can bring in high and soft. On a par 5 that you know you cannot reach in two, hit something off the tee that will leave you in the fairway. It doesn't matter if you're far back, you'll be laying up anyways. I play smart off the tee, but I'm very aggressive going at pins. Rarely do I go for the middle of the green, but I also know when a pin is tucked away in a tough spot. Unless you pull off the absolute perfect shot, the chances of short-siding yourself and then having an extremely hard shot to get up and down are very good. I think a lot of this comes with experience playing and knowing your game, but we can all approach the course the same way. The pros look like they are always being aggressive, but that's because they are putting themselves in the right position to do so. When they get on the tee, they look to which side of the fairway they want to be on to give them the best angle at the pin. Now, chances are good that many of us are simply worried about putting the ball on the short stuff first, but it doesn't hurt to have these kinds of thoughts in mind. Keeping your focus on what you need to improve is how you get better; don't think about the end result of being a bogey golfer, rather think of the process it takes to get from point A to point B on a course. You'll find yourself in better positions in no time. Trust me.

Driver: R11s 9 with a Fubuki Tour 63 X-Stiff
Fairway Wood: R11s 15.5 with Miyazaki Kusala Black 83 X-Stiff

Hybrid: taylormade.gif 4 with Fubuki 515 X-Stiff
Irons: titleist.gif Forged 660 3-PW with Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: callaway.gif CC Jaws 52 and 58 Degree
Putter: ping.gif In Anser 2

I'm stupid.  I'll just fire at the pin.  I'll try to shape it from the center of the green out to it, but I gotta work on thinking these things over haha

I said a bit of both, because I am rather aggressive off the tee, but rather conservative with my approach shots.  My game might be a little better if I played the other way around, but I feel like I am finally learning how to play this game.  So I have been getting better with my course management...just have to get better at it.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I also said a bit of both. I take the entire hole into account, some holes just don't work well for me playing them too aggressive but other holes I can be completely aggressive on. Just as mentioned earlier, course management, knowing when and where to be aggressive or when to play more conservative.

• Like 1

I am conservative off the tee and really get into trouble with being aggressive with my irons or hybrids trying to do something my skill level just doesn't warrant.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Originally Posted by Bastid

Learning your limitations on a golf course will greatly lower your scores. It's called course management. When you get on the tee, look at the hole in front of you. Where is the trouble? Where is the best place to miss? What is the best angle into the green? Most of the decisions to be made on the course evolve with conditions and how you're playing, but a proper mindset should be the goal of everyone.

If you come to a short par 4 with a heavily guarded green, don't just pull driver because there isn't too much trouble off the tee. Try to leave yourself a full shot that you can bring in high and soft. On a par 5 that you know you cannot reach in two, hit something off the tee that will leave you in the fairway. It doesn't matter if you're far back, you'll be laying up anyways. I play smart off the tee, but I'm very aggressive going at pins. Rarely do I go for the middle of the green, but I also know when a pin is tucked away in a tough spot. Unless you pull off the absolute perfect shot, the chances of short-siding yourself and then having an extremely hard shot to get up and down are very good. I think a lot of this comes with experience playing and knowing your game, but we can all approach the course the same way. The pros look like they are always being aggressive, but that's because they are putting themselves in the right position to do so. When they get on the tee, they look to which side of the fairway they want to be on to give them the best angle at the pin. Now, chances are good that many of us are simply worried about putting the ball on the short stuff first, but it doesn't hurt to have these kinds of thoughts in mind. Keeping your focus on what you need to improve is how you get better; don't think about the end result of being a bogey golfer, rather think of the process it takes to get from point A to point B on a course. You'll find yourself in better positions in no time. Trust me.

Well said.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I play agressive with anything less than a 7-iron. I also swing hard off the tee but use less club. Is that agressively conservative or conservatively agressive? Every time I aim for the centre of the green, lands exactly on the centre of the green, it makes me a little angry - shoulda fired at the pin and taken my chances!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I tend to be a conservative putter and chipper, but I play pretty aggressive the rest of the time. A lot of it is because I don't hit my 3 wood or hybrid any straighter than my driver.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Personally for me its a bit of both, and depends on the situation and circumstances.  I also feel that conservative and aggressive have different meanings to different players and different abilities. Swinging hard with a driver to me is not aggressive, but fitting that tee shot into an area that could be of great advantage but with risk is. Going dead at every pin isn't aggressive, only when there is high risk of making a large number if you miss your target.

I see a few example so I'll try and explain one here. A course I play at has a 309 yard par 4, dogleg right with water between the tee and green, sand on corner. Traps both left of the green and right of the green. A lay up is usually with a 3 iron, leaving about 85 yards. To go for the green, a carry of 265. In the last 8 rounds, I have layed up 4 times, and went of the green 4 times. I'm 2 under in those 8 tries with both birdies coming from the green side trap off the tee. The 4 lay up attempts have averaged 12 feet from the pin on the approach, all good looks. But from the sand, I was within 5 feet 3 of the 4 and 10 feet on the other. Statistically I can see that I need to work on 12-15 foot putts, and 85 yard wedge shots, but the risk of the water and sand is not as great as consistently making birdies. However, I'll add, it only takes one bad swing to change all that, next time I play that hole the outcome might be completely different.

What's in the Titleist  carry bag:
Driver: Titleist 910 D2,  Motore Speeder VC 6.0 shaft, 1" long, set to A1
Fairway Wood: Titleist 910 F, set to B4 Hybrid: Titleist 910 H, set to B4
Irons: Titleist AP2 710 4-9  Project X shafts  Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 46deg, C-C 50, 54, & 60deg.
Putter: Scotty Cameron NewPort 2.5 Glove: Titleist Ball: Titleist ProV1x  RangeFinder: Bushnell V2

Towel: Players Towel   Eyewear: SunDog H EVO  On Twitter -- @BrianBrown13

I used to be aggressive.  But after losing literally hands full of strokes by doing so, I've managed my game into 'miss it where it doesn't hurt'.

Golf is a punitive game - more so than almost any other that I can think of.  You can yank a bowling strike shot a full 4" and still hit the 'Brooklyn' pocket and get a strike.  Pull a tee shot the same amount, and you could be: in the woods; in the water; in the bunker; OB; behind the lone tree in the fairway; etc.

Golf really is a game of 'good misses'.  You almost HAVE to shape your shot away from the trouble spots to be any good.  JMHO

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

Great topic.

This is Raymond Floyd's list of most common mistakes by amateurs:

1) Underclubbing

2) Swinging too hard

3) Automatically shooting at every flag

4) Not playing away from trouble

5) Missing the green on the wrong side of the flag

6) Trying for too much out of trouble

7) Trying shots you have never practiced

8) Panicking in the sand

9) Misreading turf and lie situations

10) Consistently under-reading the break on greens

The first 6 would all fall into the over-aggressive category, I think.  As a bogey golfer I have to try hard to stay away from the big numbers.I figure that in any given round about half my holes will result in bogey and how the other half go will determine what kind of round I have.  So I am trying to be more conservative and smart about how I play.  Another thing that Ray says is to "play comfortable", by which he means don't swing at more than 85% full power.  That one is easier in theory than practice, for me.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I love playing aggressively, But i had to put a little of both  If im feeling it that day or have been executing good shots I get very aggressive, but if it is one of those days where it seems I cant pay for a good shot I play very conservative and try to grind it out.

In My Bag: Nike SQ Dymo Str8 fit driver Nike SQ 13* 3 wood Nickent 3dx 20* hybrid Wilson Pi5 irons 3-PW Cleveland CG 12 52* Nike VR Pro Forged Wedge 56* & 60* Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II Putter

Normally, I'm an aggressive player.  When I start to get conservative is when I get into trouble because I get into a mindset that I don't need to work to get my shot.  When I'm aggressive, I work hard on getting the shot where I want it, and so I have done on average, better when I'm more aggressive than not.  A good example is par 5's, because I hate laying up.  Whenever I lay up, I hit a horrible shot that ends up in trouble, so I might as well hit the ball as close to the green as I possibly can if I'm going to get into trouble anyway.  However, if the hole is ridiculous near the green, I won't be so stupid.  I also like to work the ball, so I usually attack the pin.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

mostly conservative but with some aggressive shots as well. my aggressive shots are my 2nd shots on a par 5 to try and make the green.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Note: This thread is 2304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!