IGNORED

Do you guys clean your irons & wedges during a round ?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To be fair, having some dirt in your groves doesn't mean much when it comes to spin from a fairway lie, but it's more important from the rough. An article was linked or posted here a while back where titleist did testing with wedges to see what difference surface etching made on the face of a wedge. They found that the surface etching did almost nothing and that even removing the groves entirely (smooth face) only brought the spin down by about 400 rpm if I remember correctly. Out of the rough there were much larger differences though. I keep my clubs clean just because I like to. It makes them look nicer and helps on shots from the rough, and it's pretty easy for me to do after I hot my shot and am waiting on others to hit their shots before I can move forward.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, except for wedges when I've been in sand.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I hope you ordered a pack of the D Brush - I put 2 in the pocket of my bag, and one always winds up in my shorts and on the dresser, or in the wash. They last a long time, but I lose track of them... then I gather them again.

Yep. I ordered one pack. (3 per pack)

To expound on my past post, here is the article I had read that tested a wedge without grooves or surface milling, a wedge without grooves and only surface milling, and a wedge with both grooves and surface milling from a fairway lie.

http://www.andrewricegolf.com/andrew-rice-golf/2014/5/to-go-milled-or-not-milled

For those who would like to just see the spin results:

No grooves, no milling - Average of 6229 RPM of spin

No grooves with surface milling - Average of 6009 RPM of spin

Grooves and surface milling - 6409 RPM of spin

From a clean, dry fairway lie it won't make much of a difference if your club is clean. The difference comes into play when you're in the rough. I like to keep mine clean at all times primarily due to the wear and tear aspect of it, plus it just plain looks prettier in the bag!

I use the Groove Tube... They are great. Quick 2 sec scrub after every shot... Beats the spit (which is what I did prior)

This is awesome! I just ordered one of these after seeing this thread. Like the OP, I use the spit and brush then wipe off with a towel, this will save me from doing that!

This is awesome! I just ordered one of these after seeing this thread. Like the OP, I use the spit and brush then wipe off with a towel, this will save me from doing that!

You'll be happy with it. I've tried many alternatives, and have found this to be the best (well, other than the caddies doing it for me on the occasion I have one)

I usually wipe grass off with my hands, and leave the dirt in the grooves as I didn't like the wire brush. Gonna try the wet towel.

I just wipe mine off with a golf towel. When I get home I clean the grooves with a groove cleaner. I don't want people behind me watching me clean my clubs. A simple wipe of the club face will do until I get home and can spend more time on the grooves.

I just wipe mine off with a golf towel. When I get home I clean the grooves with a groove cleaner. I don't want people behind me watching me clean my clubs. A simple wipe of the club face will do until I get home and can spend more time on the grooves.

A couple of quick swipes with a brush to get the dirt/grass out of the grooves as I'm walking back to the cart to put the club back in the bag takes no extra time at all.  I certainly wouldn't stand around cleaning my clubs if it was going to interfere with the pace of play.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Used the groove tube in the late 90s. If you use a cart, it's fine. For walking, I prefer a D Brush and a lightweight towel that is not too large - Spotless Swing. Good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I only clean my clubs if there's a huge clod of dirt stuck to it. I have a brush and towel to wipe them if needed.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I give a quick little swipe with the soft bristle brush hanging on the side of my bag.  If that does not do the trick then I use the bronze brush side.  If I've been in the sand then it's the bronze side because that crap packs the grooves pretty good.  The brush has a long phone type chord on it so it makes it easy to take the brush to the club instead of the other way around.  I have a towel but I mainly use it for me.  I should get into the habit of wetting one down for club cleaning but for now it's for keeping me dry.  I hate sweat beads dripping across my glasses.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Used the groove tube in the late 90s. If you use a cart, it's fine. For walking, I prefer a D Brush and a lightweight towel that is not too large - Spotless Swing. Good luck.

I walk 70+% of the time, and haven't experienced any issues with the tube

I walk 70+% of the time, and haven't experienced any issues with the tube

It's not about issues, It's about not carrying something else, added water weight, even with a lanyard, for 3.5-5 hours. Now that you have me thinking about it, I did have some issues with the inner rubber thingie that helps with water distribution when you squeeze, and had to purchase another groove tube... long time ago.

Personal preference -- I prefer the Spotless Towel and D Brush, but like everything else, it is what you like.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

- Did you hear that I redesigned Doral myself so golfers like DJ and Bubba won't dominate.

Lol lol lol!! [quote name="DrvFrShow" url="/t/84223/do-you-guys-clean-your-irons-wedges-during-a-round/30#post_1194231"]Yes, except for wedges when I've been in sand. [/quote] Why not? If you do it everywhere else....

Colin P.

I just use a (dry) brush to clean them during the round...maybe not after every shot, but more often with the wedges.  It's rare that I need more than a dry brush, if I do I just squirt a little water out of my water bottle directly onto the club.

- John

I swish my irons in a puddle every now and then to loosen some of the impacted dirt. Wait, I live in Florida and we don't have dirt. Just sand. I used to have a wire brush hanging from my bag, but the brittles got hopelessly entangled in the threads from my towels. Had to cut it loose.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

+1 for the Frogger towel.  Inside manages to stay wet with the outside dry.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 3123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!