IGNORED

Greg Norman Out as FOX Sports Lead Golf Analyst

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If the report is true, do you think this was the right move for FOX?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. If the report is true, do you think this was the right move for FOX?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, depends who replaces Norman

If the report is true, do you think this was the right move for FOX?

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/report-greg-norman-out-fox-sports-lead-golf-analyst

After just one season in the chair as the lead golf analyst for FOX Sports, Greg Norman is reportedly out of the job.

Links Magazine tweeted on Sunday night that it had learned that Norman "is out at @FOXGOLF," the official handle of FOX Sports Golf.

The publication provided no other information.

When reached by GOLF.com on Sunday evening, representatives from both FOX Sports and Norman's public relations team declined to comment on the report. One FOX announcer confirmed to GOLF.com that Norman is out. "It wasn't (Norman's) choice," the source said.

On Foxsports.com, the two-time major winner is still listed as an on-air golf analyst for the network.

In 2013, FOX signed a 12-year deal with the USGA worth more than $1 billion to acquire rights to the U.S. Open. Norman and Joe Buck led the coverage for the FOX golf team at the 2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay. The inaugural broadcast was heavily scrutinized and drew less-than-glowing reviews.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Dropping Norman:  bad move, but vaguely understandable if they need a scapegoat for their poorly reviewed coverage of last year's Open.

Dropping Norman and keeping Joe Buck:  indefensible. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

So...initial reaction is bad move. Greg is still learning the job. He had only one year and at times was good and few times bad. It was hard to make a judgement on such a small sample size. I feel given more time he could have potentially gotten better. He was not tough enough, but maybe with enough time he could have been. 

But Fox doesn't do this without the next hire lined up. So who did they line up to replace him? If someone who has a chance to be better than it might be a good move. Someone like a Johnny Miller or someone with experience. Then it could be a good move. 

So my answer is it depend on who they have lined up. 

• Upvote 1

Michael

He was awful at the US Open. The hook is a little quick, but justified.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I didn't see a lot of the coverage, but he seemed solid to me especially given his experience.

Too bad he didn't have some time to grow into the job. He's very golf smart and was really analytical about improving his skills. I expect he would have applied that to being a talking head and really matured well in the role. I preferr him to Faldo who spouts loads of golf platitudes to fill air time. I think one reason CBS had such a good crew was their cumulative time as a team.

Kevin

I think Joe Buck is also part of the problem. Norman wasn't bad, but needed polishing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Looks like the replacement is Paul Azinger. I still think Norman needed more time, but to trade for Azinger was probably a wise choice on Fox's part.

Michael

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, mchepp said:

Looks like the replacement is Paul Azinger. I still think Norman needed more time, but to trade for Azinger was probably a wise choice on Fox's part.

I agree. Paul's been pretty good.

Just ignore his info about the golf swing… :-)

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Does this Norman is out really surprise anyone?

Greg is an entrepreneur and they are typically difficult personalities, and some are a heckuva lot more difficult than others. Besides, he has other interests.

I vote Fox replace him with Holly, Blair, Natalie, and Page (Spiranac)... and bring Azinger along to tie it in ... I'd expect no less from Fox.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I actually said two months ago that I could see this happening. With ESPN losing the British, Azinger was now a Free Agent and Fox would be crazy to not dump Norman and go after Azinger. It's not that Norman was bad...he was inexperienced. But Azinger is really good. I'm happy for Zinger. He deserves it even though I wish he'd still get more air time.

Brad Faxon needs to be next to go.

Edited by ChrisP

9 hours ago, mchepp said:

Yeah, so my initial impression yesterday was the same as yours ... That they didn't give him enough of a chance.  Now that we know it's Azinger then it's safe that the story was wrong.  Well, incomplete, I mean.  Fox didn't just dump Norman, they upgraded to Azinger and Norman was the odd man out.

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

Brad Faxon needs to be next to go.

I actually thought Faxon wasn't bad, just felt he was having to do a lot of talking. It felt like he was talking on every hole. I would rather he take a reduced role where he covered 2-3 holes from the booth and that was all he did. Maybe an on course interview or two, but reduce the amount of time he had to talk. Maybe he was making up for the lack of talking from Norman. I think Faxon was decent and with a proper role could be could. 

Michael

19 hours ago, jbishop15 said:

He was awful at the US Open. The hook is a little quick, but justified.

Norman was pretty bad as lead analyst at Chambers Bay last year. I think he'd be OK to pop into the booth for a segment or two, but he was lost trying to do it for hours at a time. 

I wasn't as down on Norman as many golf fans were, and I think he would've continued to improve as he got more experience.  That being said, they upgraded in a big way if Azinger is the guy who is replacing Norman.  Azinger is one of, if not, the best color commentator in golf.  I'm a Johnny Miller fan as well, but the Zinger is definitely up there in that same category.  

I enjoyed the U.S. Open coverage on Fox, but I also understand they have some things to work on.  The U.S. Open not being at Chambers Bay is the first improvement for 2016!  

Norman was lost and Buck was even worse. Joe Buck is an obnoxious know it all. He's a real turn off for me and not just for golf, baseball and football are just as bad. Azinger is pretty good, as long as he stays off a tirade about Woods. But in the end I really enjoy Johnny Miller, his knowledge and insight are a plus.

1 minute ago, Joe from MD said:

Norman was lost and Buck was even worse. Joe Buck is an obnoxious know it all. He's a real turn off for me and not just for golf, baseball and football are just as bad. 

Now I'm picturing Greg Norman substituting for Joe Buck in the football broadcasts.  "You know, Troy, my notes here say Carson Palmer is a pro bowler, but they must be wrong.  I've never seen him on the same pitch as a wicket.  How many overs has he bowled?  And why would they want me to say that during a football broadcast?"

On second thought, that'd be an upgrade ... 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

There was plenty of blame to go around at Fox, Norman was only partially responsible for a poor initial effort by Fox.  I know everyone loves Joe Buck but he struggled and I think that impacted Norman.

I'm not sure Azinger does much better if Buck is still in the booth.  I also hope they do something better with Holly as those interviews were painful to sit through with the volume on.

Joe Paradiso

17 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

There was plenty of blame to go around at Fox, Norman was only partially responsible for a poor initial effort by Fox.  I know everyone loves Joe Buck but he struggled and I think that impacted Norman.

I'm not sure Azinger does much better if Buck is still in the booth.  I also hope they do something better with Holly as those interviews were painful to sit through with the volume on.

You don't think that Buck has the capability to improve this year?  It was his first time (with golf) as well.

Note: This thread is 3012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!