Jump to content
Hugh Jars

What Things Have You Tried That Have Destroyed Your Game?

49 posts / 3419 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

What are some concepts, advice, equipment etc that you have introduced or attempted that has completely derailed your game?

For me, trying to incorporate the fundamentals of Stack and Tilt set my game back months. The whole "weight on the front foot" screwed up my stability over the ball, leading to hips excessively sliding, reverse pivot, hitting well behind the ball and an extensive bout of the shanks. I had to have several lessons with a pro to iron out my weight shift during the back swing and downswing.

Implementing the whole method without getting professional help to do it was probably what really hurt me. I was doing it alone because they are no stack and tilt instructors within coo-eee of my city.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

It is not on your list, but poor practice habits would be mine. It has taken me a while to really be disciplined at practicing smart. I did do a bit of S&T back in '09-10, but I learned early after a clinic with Erik and Dave, to focus more on a couple of elements of it instead of the whole method.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nothing at all.

I’m sure there are things I could’ve done to improve my game over the years, but I can’t think of anything that really harmed it in any way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

poor practice habits would be mine

+1

I don't dedicate enough "quality" practice time.   I have a few of the gadgets which at one time or another have been helpful but I can't say they have hurt my game.    I have a medicus 7 iron, Orange Whip, coat hangers, alignment rods, yoga blocks and Game Golf.    The most useful to me has been Game Golf, which opened my eyes to statistics about my game and the areas to improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Hugh Jars said:

What are some concepts, advice, equipment etc that you have introduced or attempted that has completely derailed your game?

For me, trying to incorporate the fundamentals of Stack and Tilt set my game back months. The whole "weight on the front foot" screwed up my stability over the ball, leading to hips excessively sliding, reverse pivot, hitting well behind the ball and an extensive bout of the shanks. I had to have several lessons with a pro to iron out my weight shift during the back swing and downswing.

Implementing the whole method without getting professional help to do it was probably what really hurt me. I was doing it alone because they are no stack and tilt instructors within coo-eee of my city.

 

 

If I knew this I’d probably be a much better golfer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wish I knew.

Something desperately bad obviously occurred sometime between last November and mid-April.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

Nothing at all.

I’m sure there are things I could’ve done to improve my game over the years, but I can’t think of anything that really harmed it in any way.  

This is pretty much my answer, too. I've slowly but steadily improved over the years. There were things I might have been able to do to speed up the process, but nothing I ever did "destroyed" my game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Wish I knew.

Something desperately bad obviously occurred sometime between last November and mid-April.

 

Snow?  :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Snow?  :-D

Oh yes. That may well be it.

Probably lost my swing in a snow drift. The "white death" has long since melted away, but nobody has bothered to turn my missing swing in at the local course, so I'm still looking for it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, David in FL said:

Nothing at all.

I’m sure there are things I could’ve done to improve my game over the years, but I can’t think of anything that really harmed it in any way.  

Depends on how you view "harm."

You've almost never practiced and almost always "just play." That has harmed you, but since it didn't set you back, you don't view it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, iacas said:

Depends on how you view "harm."

You've almost never practiced and almost always "just play." That has harmed you, but since it didn't set you back, you don't view it that way.

Absolutely true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For career reasons, I have (sometimes on purpose, sometimes not) taken months off at a time from golf.  This absolutely sets me back in many ways. 

Also trying to play blades as a 20+ handicap.  I had it in my head I was a good ball striker because I didn't slice my irons.  🤦‍♂️

I'll add one more:  I keep putting off taking another AimPoint class.  I took one eight years ago, it was great, but my putt reading lately is at best an imitation.  Worst thing is, a very good teacher teaches in winter near where my parents live, so it should have been easy for me to head over and take the class. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At 18 years old i was forced to meet a Golf Psychologists in the trainning center I attended at that time. I don´t know how but he messed up with my putting confidence. I was one of the best and after him i become one of the worst. I really never recover from it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldn't go so far as to say it "destroyed" my game...but reading the playing tips, in the back of golf magazines, is a recipe for disaster.  There are good reasons you never see a professional playing golf with a parrot on their shoulder.  And I think I would have to actually be an elephant to fully appreciate the actions of it's trunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Piz said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say it "destroyed" my game...but reading the playing tips, in the back of golf magazines, is a recipe for disaster.  

My club's match play tournament is coming up and I love those tips for the match play portion.  I hope my opponents read them avidly! 

3 minutes ago, Piz said:

There are good reasons you never see a professional playing golf with a parrot on their shoulder.

Aye, avast :-( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A wife and 3 children. Nothing has done more harm to my game than them. 

That being said I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Taking advice from every single person, then trying it out, even if it might have contradicted the advice I’d just received. I ended up trying so many different things that I forgot how I was playing to begin with and had to take some time off to clear my head.

 

Now, I’m not great, but at least I have a short list of things I track to improve upon,.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Piz said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say it "destroyed" my game...but reading the playing tips, in the back of golf magazines, is a recipe for disaster. 

Agree but in my case it would specifically be playing tips that are supposed to bring distance.  They always messed me up until I decided to just the play the distances I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...