IGNORED

2019 U.S. Open

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 1774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I enjoyed watching Woodland take the title yesterday. Seems like a great guy, and simply played the best golf in the World at the right time. 

Koepka was oh so close to yet another US Open and major championship. He seemed to really handle the defeat well and likely knows he will be in contention at the next one. He is a special player for sure. 

I never considered Phil or Tiger a real threat to take this championship. I think the last player older than 35 to win this championship in he last twenty years or so was Angel Cabrera. I just don’t see either one of those guys winning another PGA or US Open. Woodland is 35. 

Now I’m ready for the Open Championship!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

By the way, everyone's talking about Woodland's shots on 14 and 17 as the big moments yesterday, but I thought the biggest turning point was the break he got on 13. He hit his shot way off line and just enough to the right that it avoided the thickest of rough. This was just when he was reeling and the lead was cut to 1. He was able to get the ball to the green, make par and then took advantage of 14.

If that ball is just slightly more left and in the thickest rough, he probably makes bogey, the tournament's tied, and mentally, he's a different person going to 14. Huge moment and break there.

2 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I just wonder how seriously he sees 18. I know it meant a lot when he was younger, but today, it may not mean as much. If he gets it, he gets it. If he doesn’t, he doesn’t. It’s not the end of the world for him. I don’t think he wants to jeopardize his future health by fixating himself on the record. There are other things more important for him now, which sucks for us because we don’t get to see him much and not at his best that often, but it’s good for him.

Would be interesting to hear a completely honest interview with him about such things. I agree that it may be less important today than ten years ago, largely because he's older and gets less opportunities. Majors will for the rest of his career be what matters most, but the family has probably changed him. And age, and health problems. And etc.

He's had an amazing career either way and is the GOAT. Only thing missing on his list is winnings more majors than Jack. 

Is he still behind Snead in number of wins?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

11 minutes ago, Zeph said:

Is he still behind Snead in number of wins?

Yes - 82 to 81, but that is counting Snead's team wins and some other questionable events.
Here is an interesting article about Snead's 82

190503-tiger-trophy.jpg

How many PGA Tour titles should Tiger Woods have? Using the same 'Sam Snead criteria,' quite a few more

Just like the GOAT discussion - IMO (and many others) 81 > 82

Players play, tough players win!

Interesting that the last two champions at Pebble Beach were McDowell and Woodland. McDowell was ranked #33 in the world when he edged Greg Havret and Woodland #25. Between those two wins at other venues you've got McIlroy, Rose, Kaymer, Simpson, Koepka, Spieth, and DJ, all future Hall-of-Famers (yes, I think Simpson will have a resume good enough when all is said and done to get in). Perhaps Pebble brings in more of the underdog winner? You had a few more big underdog names in contention than usual with Reavie and Hadley in the last few groups. Could just be a total coincidence, too. 

Also, really concerned that this is the "new" U.S. Open. Lightening up on the difficulty to try and make players more happy. Gore being brought in to try and get players' opinions and make changes based on their recommendations. Heard some guys this morning on radio say in their talks with USGA officials that the US Open is going to try and make the US Open more player-happy in the future. T

Edited by ChrisP

6 hours ago, ChrisP said:

He’ll get in next year’s Open. He’ll probably get in the British. He’s going to make an impact early as a pro. May even win one of his first few tournaments he plays. I feel like he’s going to make a mark early on Tour. I’ll go on a limb and say he gets a top-15 finish this week.

Question:  he got into the 2019 U.S. Open contingent on remaining an amateur.  His performance at said Open gets him into next year's : is that also contingent on remaining an amateur?  I would guess not.  In other words, when an amateur who got in contingent on amateur status (e.g., U.S. Amateur champion, etc) finishes high enough for the next event, is that invite requiring the same status?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

20 hours ago, HOF19 said:

I have yet to go to my first Golf Tournament …...How does that overhead noise from the motor of the Blimp not bother these guys ?

Fox Sports not using the blimp.  The drones are quiet and far superior to a blimp.  Some amazing footage.  CBS needs to start using drones for their golf tournaments.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

I never considered Phil or Tiger a real threat to take this championship. I think the last player older than 35 to win this championship in he last twenty years or so was Angel Cabrera. I just don’t see either one of those guys winning another PGA or US Open. Woodland is 35. 

I think most expected Tiger to be in the mix this week as the course should have set up well for where his game is at this point in his life. Unfortunately, I think the damn marine layer and cool temps really effect his body and ability to compete (he said as much). 

17 hours ago, Zippo said:

Kudos to Woodland for a great tournament. Very impressed with how he held off any jitters to play some solid golf. Love that he finished with that birdie instead of a lag and par!

I told my son that he or I could 3 putt from there and win the tournament/

9 hours ago, jamo said:

I swear to god Phil's birth certificate must just say "U.S. Open Sunday." Every single year I read something about how Sunday was his birthday. I know it's not true, but it's 100% true. 

The final day of the U.S. Open falls on a different numbered day almost every year.  So it can't always be Phil's birthday.  But it does always align with Father's Day.  And Phil is a father.

5 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The final day of the U.S. Open falls on a different numbered day almost every year.  So it can't always be Phil's birthday.  But it does always align with Father's Day.  And Phil is a father.

He also had a father, so it counts double for him. 

• Informative 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

5 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

I enjoyed watching Woodland take the title yesterday. Seems like a great guy, and simply played the best golf in the World at the right time. 

Koepka was oh so close to yet another US Open and major championship. He seemed to really handle the defeat well and likely knows he will be in contention at the next one. He is a special player for sure. 

Woodland needs to smile more.  Maybe he has bad teeth.  After sinking that birdie on 18 for a big win I would have had a smile on my face for a week!

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Woodland almost always has chew in his mouth AFAIK. I think that makes it difficult for him to smile wide open.

Vishal S.

1 minute ago, GolfLug said:

Woodland almost always has chew in his mouth AFAIK. I think that makes it difficult for him to smile wide open.

Ahh, so he has stained teeth.

Phil and Tiger, these days, almost always have gum in their mouth.  Or is it chew?!

8 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Phil and Tiger, these days, almost always have gum in their mouth.  Or is it chew?!

Scuttlebutt is CBD gum.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

12 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Geez another similarity win him and Koepka. I guess that one poster who hates guys spitting on the course isn’t a fan.

Which was the tougher shot, Woodland's three wood on 14 or his wedge on 17?

IMO, the three wood was the tougher shot, very high risk reward. That could have easily turned into a bogey or worse. Those guys are all magicians with a wedge in their hands around the green and Woodland said he had almost the same shot on 17 on Thursday and pulled it off then as well. 

Bill M

I once had a similar shot on a par 3.  I was on the green and had to wedge over the corner of a sand trap to get it close to the hole.  Used a high bounce, wide-soled wedge but, nevertheless, took a divot out of the putting surface.  Seems like a golf course architect wouldn't design a hole like this.

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

I once had a similar shot on a par 3.  I was on the green and had to wedge over the corner of a sand trap to get it close to the hole.  Used a high bounce, wide-soled wedge but, nevertheless, took a divot out of the putting surface.  Seems like a golf course architect wouldn't design a hole like this.

Which begs the question: Is this a one-putt or two-putt?  I made the 3 footer off the wedge shot.

Note: This thread is 1774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!