IGNORED

Only Koepka, Fleetwood and Casey Don't Have a Full Bag Staff Deal

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I didn't watch much of the PGA or much golf on tv this year, so this is new to me. Guessing they're just holding out until they get a deal they like.

pga-live-coverage-sunday-brooks-koepka.j

Brooks Koepka is losing big bucks by not signing an equipment deal. Here's an estimate of how much it's worth for the PGA champion.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've read that some of the players don't want an equipment deal.   They like to be able to pick and choose which clubs work best for them.    I don't think Koepka is too worried about money.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

14 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I don't think Koepka is too worried about money.

I still think it's a poor financial decision. Athletes have a limited window during which they can cash in on their success. It's not like he's going to decline significantly as a player by changing equipment.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, billchao said:

I still think it's a poor financial decision. Athletes have a limited window during which they can cash in on their success. It's not like he's going to decline significantly as a player by changing equipment.

And yet he might not win if forced to play clubs that aren’t ideal for him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

And yet he might not win if forced to play clubs that aren’t ideal for him.

That's probably what he thinks. He doesn't strike me as the type to be nonconformist for the sake of being different.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 hours ago, billchao said:

That's probably what he thinks. He doesn't strike me as the type to be nonconformist for the sake of being different.

That’s what we have Bryson DeChambeau for!

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I remember years ago going to a Titleist fitting school. David Duvall was there. I got to talking to him about the equipment and he literally had no idea about the actual specs of his clubs. He would get some drivers from Titleist, hit them, and keep a couple. I thought it was kinda funny that the fitting school was telling us to get everyone fitted and David Duvall was just hitting clubs until he found some he liked. The reason I bring this up is because (I would assume) the clubs the players are using are not exactly the same ones they are selling at Dicks sporting goods. That being said, you could sign your equipment deal and still get the clubs you really like even though they are not what the consumer is playing (see Tiger Woods Nike clubs).

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Its sort of silly to me that Keopka doesnt have a staff deal. He's basically pissing away free money. He's playing the clubs anyway and giving them free advertising every time theres a photo of him with a club in his hand, or a close up tv shot after a swing. 

10 hours ago, billchao said:

I still think it's a poor financial decision. Athletes have a limited window during which they can cash in on their success.

Agreed. And it can end fast, especially when you're swinging it as hard as these guys can.

10 hours ago, billchao said:

I wonder if it's more superstition than anything. He's playing so well right now, doesn't want to change a thing. Maybe if he wasn't winning majors, he'd sign up with someone. Of course, then the deal wouldn't be worth as much...

17 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Its sort of silly to me that Keopka doesnt have a staff deal. He's basically pissing away free money. He's playing the clubs anyway and giving them free advertising every time theres a photo of him with a club in his hand, or a close up tv shot after a swing. 

Yes he's not making as much money as he could be, but he is also free to play whatever brand he wants in each slot of the bag. 

Obviously to him that is more important than the extra money he could receive from playing one brand exclusively.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 minute ago, klineka said:

Yes he's not making as much money as he could be, but he is also free to play whatever brand he wants in each slot of the bag. 

Obviously to him that is more important than the extra money he could receive from playing one brand exclusively.

Keopka could win a tournament with a set of rental clubs.  The shaft, the ball and maybe fairway metals are the only clubs that requite significant adjustment time, IMO. He should be capitalizing on his supernova power right now in any way he can. But being that he's sexy AF, i forgive him. 

Usually the manufacturers want the golfers (men and women) to play their entire set.   Lots of the golfers like different wedges or putters.    

Keopka could work out some kind of deal with his current popularity.  

I thought that Jason Dufner didn't have an club endorsement contract ...No?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

There is such a thing as "enough" money, or, perhaps, the independence to choose his own clubs and play whatever he wants is worth far more to him than an all-in deal with a club manufacturer.

He appears to be wearing a Nike hat, a Nike shirt, Nike trousers, and Nike shoes. For all we know, @Groucho Valentinehe's wearing tight Nike briefs as well. I doubt he's coordinating that Nike look for free. Clothes are just clothes. Nike, Puma, what does it matter? In his position pick the ones you like and pick up the whopping big pay check that goes along with the free golf clothes.

According to https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/gear/gear-news/brooks-koepka-whats-in-the-bag-158612 his bag is a mixture of different manufacturers' clubs. Perhaps he likes being able to select each club for its job, rather than trying to fit into a particular manufacturer's driver or putter because he's being paid to?

Edited by ScouseJohnny

8 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

7 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Keopka could win a tournament with a set of rental clubs.  The shaft, the ball and maybe fairway metals are the only clubs that requite significant adjustment time, IMO. He should be capitalizing on his supernova power right now in any way he can. But being that he's sexy AF, i forgive him. 

History says there have been guys who took the money and changed clubs and it didn't go so well - good players, dominant players, Johnny Miller, Freddy Couples, hell the golfdom went bonkers when Phil changed to Callaway for the Ryder Cup.

Here is an interesting article from a while after Rory changed to Nike and his struggles.

rory-brands.jpg

At the start of the 2013 golf season, Rory McIlroy sent shockwaves through the golfing world by switching from Titleist to Nike Golf. The huge risk for...

I think these guys can make enough from their endorsement deals from clothing, sunglasses, or advertising, that they should play equipment that is best for their game - be it clubs, ball, shoes, etc.

Players play, tough players win!

22 hours ago, billchao said:

What? It's a great decision. He can play whatever he likes. And you destroy your own argument by saying they only have a "limited window". Why would he potentially limit it further?The  emphasis is on success and longevity, not cashing in.

If you assume that  Koepka is on something north of $20 million per year anyway, why would he play clubs that he might not like or want to play? These days the money is more likely to come from clothing deals. My guess is that over the next five years he will probably earn over $150 million just with other endorsements. Not to mention $10 per year in prizemoney. He doesn't need to risk those deals with shitty equipment he doesn't want.

Edited by leftybutnotPM
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:10 AM, billchao said:

Maybe guys like Koepka and Co realise there is more to life than money.... or they make more than enough in other sponsorship deals to keep them in the lifestyle they are accustomed to?.

Sue they could rake in a load more cash if they go to TM or Callaway etc. but it seems like a trend is starting where players and choosing what they want to play rather than some dude sat behind a desk.

We often tell people here to play what ever brand they like so cant see why the pro's should be any different.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 1795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!