IGNORED

Golf Glove Poll

Note: This thread is 1628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When to wear a golf glove?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How to do you use your golf glove?

• I never wear a golf glove.
    • I only wear the golf glove when hitting driver; I take it off the rest of the time.
    • I only wear the golf glove when hitting driver and "metal woods"; I take it off the rest of the time.
    • I wear my golf glove on all full shots, but take it off around the green.
    • I wear my golf glove for every shot, except when putting
    • I put my glove on at the start of the round and take it off after the round; I wear it all the time, full shots, short game putting, everything.
    • I wear two golf gloves

Okay, this should be about the least controversial polls of all time.

I noticed the other day that I only put my golf glove on if I'm hitting the driver or metal wood (usually, but not always including my hybrids). A gentleman I was playing with never took his glove off the entire round. He even wore it while putting. 

When do you use a golf glove... or do you use one? 

Edited by ChetlovesMer

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All full(ish) shots, regardless of the club.  It comes off between shots, and stays off for shorter pitches, chips, and putts.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm avoiding answering the poll for a reason.

I generally use a glove for all shots other than putting.  If you asked this poll three weeks ago, that'd have been my answer.

However, last week I installed a Pure Grip on my 50-degree wedge and on 6-iron.  I have hit a few shots at the range with each (and chipping area, for the 50-degree) and I now understand better how some people can play without a glove.  I never got that feeling that I could hit a good shot without a glove, even with brand new Lamkin or Golf Pride grips.  

On the other hand, I don't know how long this will last.  I'm going to give it a try once I install the grips onto more of my clubs.

The other issue for me is my hands.  The back of my right hand (I wear a glove on my left) gets a nice red hue after every round.  I wear solar sleeves on my arms and either long pants or sunscreen on my legs.  I don't know what I can do for my hand, especially since I wash my hands during a round so much and it'd wear off, wouldn't it?  Topic for another thread I guess.  One of my friends does wear two gloves, not for swing purposes but for sun protection.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I don't wear a glove in typical conditions, but I do have rain and winter gloves for the appropriate times.

36 minutes ago, Shindig said:

The other issue for me is my hands.  The back of my right hand (I wear a glove on my left) gets a nice red hue after every round.  I wear solar sleeves on my arms and either long pants or sunscreen on my legs.  I don't know what I can do for my hand, especially since I wash my hands during a round so much and it'd wear off, wouldn't it?  Topic for another thread I guess.  One of my friends does wear two gloves, not for swing purposes but for sun protection.

If you're worried about the sun you should wear two gloves.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

50 minutes ago, Shindig said:

especially since I wash my hands during a round so much and it'd wear off, wouldn't it?

Why are you washing your hands a lot?

Anyway, good "waterproof" lotions won't wear off as quickly if you give them time to absorb in. Still, if you reapplied once or twice on your hands, you'll probably be fine.

Arnold Palmer was the first big name to take off his glove to putt. The gloves back then were on the thick side compared to the ones today.  Fans and other pro's copied Arnie.

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Okay, this should be about the least controversial polls of all time.

I noticed the other day that I only put my golf glove on if I'm hitting the driver or metal wood (usually, but not always including my hybrids). A gentleman I was playing with never took his glove off the entire round. He even wore it while putting. 

When do you use a golf glove... or do you use one? 

Well the bungled grammar error in the title is rather unsettling....😜

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I wear a glove except for on or around the green. It has to be a Footjoy rain grip glove. I own like 10 of them and cycle every few holes. 

51 minutes ago, billchao said:

I don't wear a glove in typical conditions, but I do have rain and winter gloves for the appropriate times.

This.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I wear a glove, except when I'm putting but I take it off after every shot.  It last longer that way.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

47 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

HA, That's a hoot. I didn't even notice the type-o.

It was supposed to say "How often do you use your golf glove." 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

I wear a glove, except when I'm putting but I take it off after every shot.  It last longer that way.

Definitely.  (I tear up my hands if I do not wear the glove.) The fact is that considering the other expenses in golf, this is one of the smallest, but I seem to constantly be aware that it is on, and that I am "using it up" so off it comes as soon as I have swung.

A friend of mine flings his glove at his wedge if he has brought two clubs to the green.  I like that, as it is an extra protection against leaving the wedge behind.

I wear one for everything except for putting. I tear my hands up way too much to swing without one, but I have wondered about taking it off for short shots around the green.

I'm also in the *take it off between shots* camp to try and prolong the life of my gloves, and I have a cheap glove that I use when I'm at the range that I am OK with taking a bit of a beating.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

3 hours ago, billchao said:

If you're worried about the sun you should wear two gloves.

I'm worried in principle, but not as much in practice.  It mostly takes the form of wearing solar sleeves (more being that I don't like the feeling of sunscreen on my arms) and long pants (except when it's super hot;  yesterday was my first round of 2019 where I didn't wear pants).

2 hours ago, chspeed said:

Why are you washing your hands a lot?

Anyway, good "waterproof" lotions won't wear off as quickly if you give them time to absorb in. Still, if you reapplied once or twice on your hands, you'll probably be fine.

Er... good point.  I don't wash my hands all that much.  I will be more cognizant of sunscreen on my hands.

That solves the glove dilemma... at least as far as the sun goes.

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

How to do you even notice these things?

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

5 minutes ago, Shindig said:

yesterday was my first round of 2019 where I didn't wear pants

Umm, what did your playing partners think about that? 🤣

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

3 minutes ago, Rkrider99 said:

Umm, what did your playing partners think about that? 🤣

Oh.  I was wearing shorts.  Just not long pants.  I didn't go full Henrik Stenson, not even for a single shot. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

I wear two gloves all the time, for every shot/putt. 

I spend so much time on the golf course, wearing the two gloves is more for sun protection for the backs of my hands than for grip enhancement. 

On humid, sweaty days, I change gloves two or three times a round. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!