IGNORED

Best Club for Punching Out

Note: This thread is 1710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am filling out my bag and I still have one slot left.  I am thinking I can use a good club for low punch shots.  I have a tendency to hit the ball on a somewhat higher trajectory generally, so this isn't a huge strength of mine, but it does represent a fairly large hole in my game so I would like to address it.

With that being said, what club do you favor for low punch shots?  I'm thinking of a low iron.  I have a four iron, but that is still 25 degrees or more of loft.  Do I need something with even less loft?

When I am punching out, 4I is my go to. If there is something that I can't get under with that, it's sideways back to the fairway I go.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mostly 5 or 6 iron.

If I need to some speed and keeping it really low I might punch chip a 3 wood.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Anything from my driver to my putter, depending on what I need to accomplish

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

6 hours ago, jas80s said:

I am filling out my bag and I still have one slot left.  I am thinking I can use a good club for low punch shots.  I have a tendency to hit the ball on a somewhat higher trajectory generally, so this isn't a huge strength of mine, but it does represent a fairly large hole in my game so I would like to address it.

With that being said, what club do you favor for low punch shots?  I'm thinking of a low iron.  I have a four iron, but that is still 25 degrees or more of loft.  Do I need something with even less loft?

25* at standard set up, yes. If you’re hitting a punch shot you can vary that quite a bit by getting your hands forward.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

My whole bag is punch out clubs. Any of the 14 can be used.  It just depends on the situation. Distance required, ball back in my stance, how much roll to expect, landing area, and what my clearances are. 

For me it's a combination of ball position in my stance (farther back), the initial carry needed, and the landing area when selecting the club.

I suppose my favorites are my 7W, and/or  2I. 

The other day I had a punch shot to get to the green, with a tree in my way. About 60 yards. I hit a great, choked down, 3/4 swing 7W. As soon as the ball left the club face, I knew it was good. Well almost good. When the ball found the ground after the carry, it hit a pine cone, and went straight right a few feet. Why a pine tree would be growing 214' feet below sea level is just not right. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I don’t have just one. If the ultimate goal is to have it go as far as possible and keep it very low, my 4i is my go to. If I have a little room vertically, but need to control distance, then I pick the iron that has enough loft to keep it under the branches or whatever and vary my backswing length. 

- Shane

If I really need the ball to stay low, I tend to go with a 4i back in my stance. But if I have more vertical room to play with, I often go with a 7i as it seems to give me the best combination of getting above the rough I am hitting out of and velocity to roll out once it hits the ground. Unfortunately, I've had a lot of practice and experimenting with this during rounds.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

Used to be my 3 iron, but now that I have removed both the 3 and 4 irons, it is usually my 5 iron for punch out shots.  though I can hit a low punch with a 7 iron, though it will be a bit higher than a 3 iron played the same way

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I think learning to punch a shot with a hybrid might be worth my time?  I hit a decent punch with my 5-iron, but when I am in a situation where I can punch and advance it, and could have advanced it more if my 5-iron went further ... maybe time to get over my fear of punching with a hybrid. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

What I use depends on what the situation calls for. The other day I hit a low draw from behind a tree with a hooded 9i to keep the ball under the branches and curve it around the trunk.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 7/30/2019 at 6:54 PM, Shindig said:

I think learning to punch a shot with a hybrid might be worth my time?  I hit a decent punch with my 5-iron, but when I am in a situation where I can punch and advance it, and could have advanced it more if my 5-iron went further ... maybe time to get over my fear of punching with a hybrid. 

I've tried that, but the whole idea of the hybrid design is to get the ball up in air. I have a hard time keeping my 2H low, 

I read a post here several years ago where a guy had room for one more club. He had an old 2 iron, cut it down to 6 or 7 iron length, and used that as his punch out club. 

2 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I've tried that, but the whole idea of the hybrid design is to get the ball up in air. I have a hard time keeping my 2H low, 

I read a post here several years ago where a guy had room for one more club. He had an old 2 iron, cut it down to 6 or 7 iron length, and used that as his punch out club. 

Hmmm... I do own a 1-iron and have two gap wedges in my bag ... 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 11:38 PM, jas80s said:

I use a 4-iron, if I have quite a ways to punch and need to keep it low, I play it further back in my stance, de-lofting the club.

• iacas changed the title to Best Club for Punching Out
On 7/30/2019 at 7:04 AM, David in FL said:

Anything from my driver to my putter, depending on what I need to accomplish

Exactly! It all depends on how low the tree branches are. We have a lot of pines on the course I generally play. They don't cut the branches up about 8' feet from the ground like some other courses do so they can cut the grass so we usually have to punch out sideways or backward! 

Note: This thread is 1710 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!