IGNORED

Kostis, McCord, and Macatee Out at CBS, Nobilo, Love III, Wie, Immelman In

iacas
Note: This thread is 1541 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, Piz said:

Homogenization is great if you are a jug of milk...provided you like milk.  Where sportscasting is concerned...not so much.  Bland is not a flavor.  I'd rather listen to someone I disagree with than someone who never expresses an opinion.

Gotta love a milk analogy.  Agreed.

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Say it ain't so, Joe.  (No Joe Buck or Greg Norman, please)

Kostis and McCord were walk-along or on-course tower reporters.

Buck and Norman are 18th tower guys.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

If you could choose (imagine you're the head of CBS Sports) who would you choose as "on-course" successors?

Tom Watson and David Feherty.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

41 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

If you could choose (imagine you're the head of CBS Sports) who would you choose as "on-course" successors?

Dougie Donnelly and Sam Torrance. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Nooooo.  But maybe.  Overhearing commentary from McCord (and Feherty) in an early-2000s Xbox game was part of what got me interested in trying that game, and through that, golf.  And you know from there.  But I don't exactly watch for the announcers, so I don't know how much I'll notice the absence.  I cannot recall the last time he said something that I absolutely had to quote.  Some of his past sayings do still get quoted by me though.

Then again, my views on sports commentary diverge from the general population quite a bit.  Miller is still one of my three favorite NFL announcers and he only lasted two seasons, and I might be in more of a minority there than I am with respect to having enjoyed McCord in the past. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Huh?  Really?   

It’s entertainment.  Nothing more. In the grand scheme of things, no more “serious” than Saturday morning cartoons are to a 10 year old.

Maybe read the first part of my response. I deliberately noted the "grand scheme of things" to avoid someone saying exactly what you did. I stated:

"In the context of sport as a whole and golf as a recreation and first world problems and people with cancer and whatever"

We do not not need burnt out commentators thinking that they are the show any more than frat boys yelling out "meat and potatoes" at tournaments. 

Edited by leftybutnotPM

5 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Maybe read the first part of my response.

What?   “Herein lies the problem”?

Sorry, but that doesn’t change anything for me.  Am I missing something?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

What?   “Herein lies the problem”?

Sorry, but that doesn’t change anything for me.  Am I missing something?

"In the context of sport as a whole and golf as a recreation and first world problems and people with cancer and whatever" - meaning golf is serious and can exist in its own world as a serious thing.

His lack of seriousness is not a positive in my opinion. He just does the same boring stuff all the time. You don't need it to "balance" serious analysts like Kostis or Chamblee.  My guess is that this is why he has been given the boot. 

Edited by leftybutnotPM

2 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

"In the context of sport as a whole and golf as a recreation and first world problems and people with cancer and whatever"

Just the fact that his lack of seriousness is not a positive in my opinion. He just does the same boring stuff all the time. You don't need it to "balance" serious analysts like Kostis or Chamblee.  My guess is that this is why h has been given the boot. 

Ok, then I didn’t miss something.  We just disagree.  I don’t consider golf to be serious at all, certainly not when taken in context with genuinely important issues such as you mentioned.  I appreciate and enjoy the lighthearted levity and entertainment that McCord brought to the table.  I enjoy Feherty too.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Ok, then I didn’t miss something.  We just disagree.  I don’t consider golf to be serious at all, certainly not when taken in context with genuinely important issues such as you mentioned.  I appreciate and enjoy the lighthearted levity and entertainment that McCord brought to the table.  I enjoy Feherty too.  

Sure  - and I pretty much agree. My point really is that even the most mundane of pursuits - and those that provide millions of dollars for (some) spoiled athletes whose politics and beliefs I despise - along with those whom I admire for their skills and personalities - do need to be treated seriously so that the game can progress. There is a very important place for humour in commentary, but only when it is genuine and not just a hackneyed act. McCord's act is old. :-)

I, for one, will miss Kostis’ insightful swing analysis:

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Maybe they'll do away with the other commentators too and let us listen to the golfer-caddie conversations and watch more golf.  I'd much prefer that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I, for one, will miss Kostis’ insightful swing analysis:

Lol yeah....another thread @iacas showed that I believe. Completely wrong about the lower body. It’s more of an early extension goat hump. He’s actually one of if not the least ‘cleared hip’ pros out there.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

The CBS telecast has chronic structural issues- the mind numbing volume of commercials and other brand plugs (Insperity leaderboard, Wyndham rewards nonsense, etc) drown out the few golf shots we get to see and leave me feeling like I took a quaalude after watching for 30 minutes. Getting rid of these guys is at least encouraging if it means that cbs recognizes that their status quo is broken, but I’m skeptical that they have the desire or wherewithal to change anything else. 

Note: This thread is 1541 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!