IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

2 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I cannot comment on this without getting into politics.

I'll just say that as much as I liked DJs big dick ego, he was always dead behind his eyes. I'm disappointed.

Agree. I think he’s let the money drive the decision. His legacy will certainly suffer. I hope the PGA Tour does ban them.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not a single name on this list that I'd be disappointed if I never saw on the PGA Tour again, and that includes DJ.  PGA has a chance to make an example and not lose all that much.

But the name I'm almost equally surprised to see....Talor Gooch.  Young guy was having his coming out party on Tour right now, top 10 FedEx Cup ready to throw it all away.

-Eric

I'll be interesting to see what level of "discipline" the PGA Tour applies.  This is one tournament, one instance where the players are disobeying the direct wishes of the Tour.  I don't know for sure, but my guess is that there is a graduated and escalating system of disciplinary measures, so a first offense is really unlikely to lead to anything really severe.  DJ and all the rest won't be getting lifetime bans from the PGA Tour, at least not for one tournament.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

So I haven't really bothered trying to learn anything about the format of the LIV, but now trying to wrap my head around what they're doing.  The 48 guys in London are ONLY committed to the one event?  It sounds like the field can change for each of their 8 events....but they also have an ongoing team competition?  And golfers are drafted to a team for each tournament, so the same golfer could represent a different team every time they play?  But somehow there is a season ending team competition, while golfers have been on a bunch of different teams all season?  Are the captains at least consistent all season?

It sounds like Norman has said something along the lines that he wants to see a low ranked player win and take home a giant paycheck so better golfers will take note of how much money the scrubs are making, and will want to come join later tournaments because "I can definitely beat that guy."  So if this all goes the way Norman wants, a bunch of the guys in the London field we will never see again as they're replaced by better golfers.  But somehow they're still part of a team?  Or the teams only last for a week...which I don't understand how that plays into a season.

I'm not really understanding what they're trying to do with teams I guess, but I feel like even if this was 100% clean and the money came from good upstanding citizens and all the best players in the world were donating to their favorite charity in order to play.....I still don't like the format.

Edited by Friz

-Eric

• Administrator

@Friz, they're making it up as they go.

Originally, the teams were going to be the teams for the year, with a captain possibly having an ownership stake… they've kinda stolen the team idea from the Premier Golf League (https://premiergolfleague.com), so… they're just making shit up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

@Friz, they're making it up as they go.

Originally, the teams were going to be the teams for the year, with a captain possibly having an ownership stake… they've kinda stolen the team idea from the Premier Golf League (https://premiergolfleague.com), so… they're just making shit up.

Fascinating....the more I try to find out the dumber the format seems...I've spent my life around team sports.  Played them, followed them all as a fan, worked in professional leagues...these guys don't seem to know the first thing about having a team.  This is a direct quote from their website - "Each team will have unique logos, colors, and names, much like other major global sports teams."  Right, because the things that most significantly define major global sports teams are their color and logo.  There is absolutely no unifying factor behind these "teams".  Go ask a fan who their favorite LIV Golf team is, what is the answer supposed to be?  Whichever team Player X is on so they don't identify with any team at all?  Or is it just supposed to be whoever is wearing purple that week?

Ok, rant over...I fully get there are bigger, ethical issues with everything happening in the LIV, legal drama with the players, etc.  But man, if everything else was ok, I just can't even get behind the format as a fan

-Eric

I thought Dustin Johnson's decision to not read the conditions of competition regarding sandtraps at whisting Strait, costing him a spot in the playoff was his worst golf decision.  But, it turns out, not so. 

In my mind, this is the Blood on Their Hands tour.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

16 minutes ago, turtleback said:

In my mind, this is the Blood on Their Hands tour.

I like the Blood on their Hands of Obnoxious Greed tour.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

17 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I like the Blood on their Hands of Obnoxious Greed tour.

played at "Bonesaw Acres Country Club"

• Funny 1

—Adam

• Administrator

I was not long out of college when I turned down a really well-paying job because it was with a company that primarily sent spam as their business.

I don’t think it’s asking a ton for golfers to make a similar decision.

• Thumbs Up 3

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Wayne Gretzky is reported as saying on more than one occasion: “I love them both, but the only person on this earth dumber than Paulina is Dustin.”

• Funny 4

Guess I've largely ignored this for a while, but damn. Those Saudis must want this bad.

If I were them, I think I'd just by another soccer club.

Not too surprised about DJ. He seems like the kind of person to go there. Same can be said about some of the other names.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

Wayne Gretzky is reported as saying on more than one occasion: “I love them both, but the only person on this earth dumber than Paulina is Dustin.”

There goes Wayne's Father's Day gift from daughter and son-in-law.

It's my understanding that the events will be broadcast on YouTube. Do we skip watching it, so as to not support it?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

6 hours ago, iacas said:

I've always admired Gretzky.

• Funny 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I've always admired Gretzky.

What if he's one of the primary ones who pushed DJ to go play with the Saudis?