IGNORED

A Common Fitting Mistake

iacas
Note: This thread is 1480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I just read this. So what you are saying, as far as I understand, is with a fitting, accuracy/ dispersion is the goal, not necessarily the distance? Seems logical to me. For me, I am more concerned with accuracy and forgiveness than with distance. It seems like the mentality is longer is better, and it should be accuracy is better. I'd take 250 to a good lie in the fairway over 290 in the bushes. We get bombarded every new club cycle with how long something is. I am glad that you have emphasized the importance of performance, and there should be a #accuracytrumpsdistance movement. Thanks for the info.  

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, snapfade said:

It seems like the mentality is longer is better, and it should be accuracy is better.

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying. The specs on his ‘new club’ are probably in line with his old 5i. So he needs to compare the numbers with the new club to the numbers from his old club to see how he’s performing rather than just thinking the new club has gained him 14yds.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying. The specs on his ‘new club’ are probably in line with his old 5i. So he needs to compare the numbers with the new club to the numbers from his old club to see how he’s performing rather than just thinking the new club has gained him 14yds.

Yeah, more this.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

27 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I've never payed attention to ball speed, launch angle, RPM spin, only how far and how straight. After reading numerous posts about the topic and this one as well, the only thing I feel like is important to me is how accurate I am, and the dispersion, which seems like would be operator dependent. If I get fitted with new irons and my 6 flies as far as my old 5, I don't care. I want the dispersion to be narrower. Am I off base here?  And what changed his dispersion by 2 yards? 

Edited by snapfade

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

This was a hesitation I had with my current irons when I got them a few years ago.  I ended up comparing equal lofts and was satisfied they were a step up.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

(edited)
10 hours ago, snapfade said:

I've never payed attention to ball speed, launch angle, RPM spin, only how far and how straight. After reading numerous posts about the topic and this one as well, the only thing I feel like is important to me is how accurate I am, and the dispersion, which seems like would be operator dependent. If I get fitted with new irons and my 6 flies as far as my old 5, I don't care. I want the dispersion to be narrower. Am I off base here?  And what changed his dispersion by 2 yards? 

Right, so what is being said is that the new 6i that flies as far as your old 5i, should be compared to your old 5i dispersion, accuracy, etc... and not your old 6i just because the number on the bottom of the clubs are the same.  It is more about comparing the yardages you hit than just club numbers because the newer 6i are more like the old 5i from the start. Apples to apples in yardage basically.

Edited by TN94z
  • Like 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I've never payed attention to ball speed, launch angle, RPM spin

To be perfectly honest, you don’t really have to. That’s what the fitter is there for. You don’t need to know these details to play golf.

If I get fitted with new irons and my 6 flies as far as my old 5, I don't care.

People should, especially if their old set was gapped properly, their new set might not be. It’s important to note however that most iron sets these days are progressively designed, so an increase in yardage in the mid irons might not necessarily have the same impact in the short irons.

11 hours ago, snapfade said:

And what changed his dispersion by 2 yards? 

They’re quasi made up numbers.

The point is to evaluate the new 6i to the old club the player uses for 185 yards, probably their 5i. It’s possible the numbers are better across the board. You don’t want to just look at the new 6i and say, “it’s better because I hit it longer than my 6i,” nor simply, “it’s not better because it’s less accurate than my 6i.”

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I can't wait til I finally pull the trigger on a fitting and my 7 iron goes from 135 to 155 because the new irons 7 will likely be the same loft as my 5 iron.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, billchao said:

To be perfectly honest, you don’t really have to. That’s what the fitter is there for. You don’t need to know these details to play golf.

People should, especially if their old set was gapped properly, their new set might not be. It’s important to note however that most iron sets these days are progressively designed, so an increase in yardage in the mid irons might not necessarily have the same impact in the short irons.

They’re quasi made up numbers.

The point is to evaluate the new 6i to the old club the player uses for 185 yards, probably their 5i. It’s possible the numbers are better across the board. You don’t want to just look at the new 6i and say, “it’s better because I hit it longer than my 6i,” nor simply, “it’s not better because it’s less accurate than my 6i.”

All of that.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd take 250 to a good lie in the fairway over 290 in the bushes.

290 in the rough is much better than 250 in the fairway. Strokes gained stats clearly demonstrate that. Sure 250 in the fairway is better than 290 O.B., nobody would disagree with that.

and there should be a #accuracytrumpsdistance movement.

No there absolutely should not.

Off topic below -

Spoiler

It's complete misinformation to suggest that there should be an accuracy trumps distance movement.

I compared the top 10 most accurate drivers and the top 10 longest drivers on the PGA tour for the 2019 season and here are some of the facts:

• The average final position on the money list for the top 10 most accurate drivers was 79th
  • The average final position on the money list for the top 10 furthest drivers was 67th
  • The top 10 accurate drivers had one player finish inside the top 20 on the money list (Chez Reavie at 18th) and 0 inside the top 15.
  • The top 10 furthest drivers had 4 players finish inside the top 20 on the money list, all of which were inside the top 15 (Koepka, McIlroy, DJ, Finau)

Here is a graph that Superspeed golf posted showing how important distance is to money on the PGA tour in 2018

image.png

Here is a graph that I made that groups driving accuracy % into 5 buckets like the driving distance chart and shows the relationship between driving accuracy and average money made in 2019. The top number is the average $ amount for the driving accuracy % segment and the second number is the number of golfers within that segment of driving accuracy.

image.png

Distance trumps accuracy. That's a fact.

Edited by klineka
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Sorry, I just read this. So what you are saying, as far as I understand, is with a fitting, accuracy/ dispersion is the goal, not necessarily the distance? Seems logical to me. For me, I am more concerned with accuracy and forgiveness than with distance. It seems like the mentality is longer is better, and it should be accuracy is better. I'd take 250 to a good lie in the fairway over 290 in the bushes. We get bombarded every new club cycle with how long something is. I am glad that you have emphasized the importance of performance, and there should be a #accuracytrumpsdistance movement. Thanks for the info.  

I know there are some other good responses to your post, but I think there are also slightly different priorities when fitting a driver v. fitting irons.  As mentioned, for irons you should be comparing dispersion at similar distances.  That's true whether you're comparing different sets of new irons, or comparing new irons to your old clubs.  That could mean comparing your current 5-iron to a new Ping 6-iron and a new Callaway 7-iron (I just picked those names, I have no idea of the relative distances)

For driver, to me the dispersion is a little lesser priority, and total distance is a larger priority.  I still want to keep the ball in play, so dispersion matters to an extent, but for drivers "longer is better" really does apply.  Also, the idea of a binary solution (250=fairway, 290=bushes) is inaccurate.  What is more likely is 250 with 65% fairways and 5% bushes as compared with 290 and 50% fairways and 8% bushes, or something similar.  I'd take the 290.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

28 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I can't wait til I finally pull the trigger on a fitting and my 7 iron goes from 135 to 155 because the new irons 7 will likely be the same loft as my 5 iron.

There is so much more to iron design than simply the loft of the head. For example, I hit my new 6i slightly farther than my old one, but with higher launch and trajectory. It has the same length and shaft and it’s only 1° stronger. I haven’t gotten out to test the dispersion yet but during my fitting it was more accurate, as well. It’s a complete improvement over my previous irons.

Even if your “new” 7i goes just as far as your old 5i because they have the same loft, you may find that the 7i launches higher and lands softer.

I’ve done this comparison and posted it before. Using clubs with the same static loft, my vintage blades are still a club shorter than my modern ones and they’re significantly less forgiving.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 hour ago, klineka said:

290 in the rough is much better than 250 in the fairway. Strokes gained stats clearly demonstrate that.

If you're talking about the PGA Tour, the stats demonstrate the opposite.

It can be better for many (maybe even most) amateurs, because the greens are softer and the rough less severe.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

No there absolutely should not.

Yeah, there should be. This topic is about irons.

31 minutes ago, billchao said:

There is so much more to iron design than simply the loft of the head. For example, I hit my new 6i slightly farther than my old one, but with higher launch and trajectory. It has the same length and shaft and it’s only 1° stronger. I haven’t gotten out to test the dispersion yet but during my fitting it was more accurate, as well. It’s a complete improvement over my previous irons.

Even if your “new” 7i goes just as far as your old 5i because they have the same loft, you may find that the 7i launches higher and lands softer.

I’ve done this comparison and posted it before. Using clubs with the same static loft, my vintage blades are still a club shorter than my modern ones and they’re significantly less forgiving.

I'm not doubting dispersion improvement and am aware of the change in ball flight with new tech, just on how much stronger irons have become over the years. I know that isn't across the board but in general. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

You guys are a bunch of scientists.  I'm still at the 'fitting' being a reduction in the percentage of shanks.....

• Like 1

Bill - 

45 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I'm not doubting dispersion improvement and am aware of the change in ball flight with new tech, just on how much stronger irons have become over the years. I know that isn't across the board but in general. 

If you’re aware of the change in trajectory with today’s club designs then you should understand why the lofts have decreased over the years.

2 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

The way you stated it here in this post made it seem like you thought the number on the club was the only difference, when it’s likely the trajectory on these clubs would differ as well.

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

What it all boils down to is I'm going to be spending some money. Thanks for the responses, technology has created this issue, and I'm old school in golf mentality so thanks again to those of you that attempted to get me to understand a new area of the game for me. I'll be sending you all a bill.

Note: This thread is 1480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!