IGNORED

Is There a Golf Equivalent of the Houston Astros Scandal?

cutchemist42
Note: This thread is 1522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

That's why I included in my reply "And I don't know if this qualifies as cheating"! Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. But, don't feel too bad about it. I've made mistakes myself.

They didn’t cheat, or anything of the sort. It had nothing to do with reading comprehension, just like your post had nothing to do with the topic.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

That's why I included in my reply "And I don't know if this qualifies as cheating"! Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. But, don't feel too bad about it. I've made mistakes myself. The point being that both players could have a stress free round of golf knowing they were both going home with a predetermined amount of money! 

No.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would say something equivalent, is if someone had the pin positions for all four rounds on a Monday for all the Majors? A theoretical case. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

9 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I would say something equivalent, is if someone had the pin positions for all four rounds on a Monday for all the Majors? A theoretical case. 

I was thinking of something along the line of non-conforming equipment that looked liked it was conforming.  Like a driver with a COR that was over the limit, but tested okay (somehow cheated the CT test).  Or a golf ball that was beyond the limits, but was labeled as one that's on the conforming ball list.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

38 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I was thinking of something along the line of non-conforming equipment that looked liked it was conforming.  Like a driver with a COR that was over the limit, but tested okay (somehow cheated the CT test).  Or a golf ball that was beyond the limits, but was labeled as one that's on the conforming ball list.

A few years ago, for fun, I bought a used Callaway ERC whatever whatever driver.  It had an illegal COR and was defended by Arnold Palmer.  I put it into play just for the Spring and notified all my playing partners that I was illegal.  Even let them try it out when their curiosity got the best of them. Also, I posted no scores using it.  And I didn't wager.  Funny thing, it was shorter than my usual driver... it was 15 year old technology... so other aspects were lacking even though the COR was over .90.

12 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I had the occasion to attend a few practice rounds for the WGC Bridgestone when it was at Firestone CC in Akron. The 4 tourney pin positions are marked on the greens with dots of paint. While the golfers are putting out their approach shots, the caddies move around the greens looking for those paint dots. They carry cup sized discs that they place over the paint dots, and the golfers then putt to them from various places on the green. I don't know if it's the same at the majors, but at the Masters everybody knows where the pins will be anyway! 

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

A few years ago, for fun, I bought a used Callaway ERC whatever whatever driver.  It had an illegal COR and was defended by Arnold Palmer.  I put it into play just for the Spring and notified all my playing partners that I was illegal.  Even let them try it out when their curiosity got the best of them. Also, I posted no scores using it.  And I didn't wager.  Funny thing, it was shorter than my usual driver... it was 15 year old technology... so other aspects were lacking even though the COR was over .90.

I found one of those at a Goodwill store for $2.99! How could I not buy it? I never played it, but took it to the range and compared it to my current gamer. My experience was the same as yours. Then I gave to a friend who I actually bought it for. He maintained that he couldn't stand the "canteloupe on a broomstick" look of modern Drivers. 

On 2/21/2020 at 2:50 PM, Groucho Valentine said:

Tigers drop at the Masters. In a criminal act of treachery Tiger attempted to destroy every foundation of fair play the game has ever known.  

Question: Did Tiger's drop break the stated rule?

Bill M

• Administrator
1 hour ago, phan52 said:

Question: Did Tiger's drop break the stated rule?

Huh?

He dropped in the wrong place.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Huh?

He dropped in the wrong place.

Exactly. I was responding to Groucho Valentine's mock horror. 

Bill M

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, phan52 said:

Exactly. I was responding to Groucho Valentine's mock horror. 

Yeah, well, that's just his schtick.

Here's how this could work: Playing the Masters, you got a spotter at every green. He messages your caddie (a series of claps or yells "mashed potatoes", or maybe just sends a text)  to signal what has been happening all day at that green, such as, everybody is missing right. Or is this already happening? Is this allowed? 

I think only somewhat close comparison would be if someone had used a non conforming club for extra COR (hot clubface) or something that can be used consistently over a period of time all the time for an advantage. 

Or one of them rangefinders that give you slope adjusted yardage. IDK.. just taking stabs.

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

He broke our hearts. 

But he returned and won the Masters again, so he won your heart back!!!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The difference is that the PGATour and LPGA refuse to act.

Reed should have been suspended.

Lexi Thompson should have been suspended.

Not just for blatant cheating, but for bringing the game into disrepute by refusing to acknowledge their errors.

21 hours ago, AlDena said:

Or is this already happening? Is this allowed? 

Of course it's not allowed.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Reed should have been suspended.

For what? For breaching the rules? He was penalized.

4 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Lexi Thompson should have been suspended.

For what? Breaching the Rules? She was penalized.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

For what? For breaching the rules? He was penalized.

For what? Breaching the Rules? She was penalized.

I knew you'd respond as you did - but it's more than Do X, get Y, end of story.

I think they should have been suspended for bringing the game into disrepute and letting the players and public know that famous players are not a protected species.

They were penalized for "breaches of rules" and that affected their scores. But the governing bodies are too gutless to call them out as cheats. It's not like they made "mistakes" innocently.  There should have been additional penalties for not playing in the spirit of the game, bringing the game into disrepute and cheating.

Mickelson should have got a holiday too.

The Australian cricket cheats got a year off. 

Both players tried to gain unfair advantage by blatantly cheating. and in both cases it was BLATANT. They didn't run to the rules guys and say "I think I inadvertently did something wrong".

They were called out and the PGATour and LPGATour took the easy way out.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

Note: This thread is 1522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!