IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 3/12/2020 at 12:45 AM, pganapathy said:

The Coronavirus hasn't affected my life one bit.  Personally, I feel it is just a fancy flu that has become so scary thanks to social media and the TV channels hyping it thanks to TRP's.  I will not permit it to affect my golf game unless I get ill.

It has now.  One of the courses I play at has just decided to temporarily shut down all facilities, meaning rounds of golf just got more difficult 🤬

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

It has now.  One of the courses I play at has just decided to temporarily shut down all facilities, meaning rounds of golf just got more difficult 🤬

Maybe I have a vested interest but I just don't see any reason for closing down golf courses.  Yes, it's a sport, but not one where people gather in close quarters.  Sure, rule out power golf carts, close the restaurant and/or bar... but other than that, and the usual precautions, we're good to go.

17 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Maybe I have a vested interest but I just don't see any reason for closing down golf courses.  Yes, it's a sport, but not one where people gather in close quarters.  Sure, rule out power golf carts, close the restaurant and/or bar... but other than that, and the usual precautions, we're good to go.

For me, it’s more of the course still has to be maintained, therefore might as well be open. So long as necessary precautions are being taken, I’d think it should be fine. At least that’s the route we are taking

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I guess since it is a country club, they didn't want to close down the rest of the club and keep only the golf course open.  C'est la vie

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

8 hours ago, Rkrider99 said:

a "high-risk" elderly retirement community,

That's about anywhere south of I-4.

• Like 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

I sure hope my course doesn't close as I play about 3 times a week, plus I usually do a good practice session in between.  I don't care if they feel the need to close the restaurant etc but hopefully they keep the course open. 

Edited by SteveH

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

80% of infections will be mild to no symptoms. It’s serious for certain people yes. But for the vast majority of people it’s flu like symptoms. 

The “mild” symptoms include pneumonia that doesn’t require hospitalization... if you ever had pneumonia you know there is nothing “mild” about it. 

And yeah, 80% sounds nice, but how about I just put it in a different mathematical perspective - 1 out of 5 people will have severe symptoms. 

Edited by Killa

11 hours ago, Vinsk said:

80% of infections will be mild to no symptoms. It’s serious for certain people yes. But for the vast majority of people it’s flu like symptoms. 

I might respectfully suggest that you are missing the point. The fact that some/many can have it without even showing symptoms is what makes it so scary. If your face turned blue and you hair fell out when you got it, that would be easy to deal with. Just avoid people with blue faces and no hair. But with this it is supposed to be super easy to transmit and you don't know who has it. 

So, people who "look" well and "feel" fine are walking around potentially infecting high risk folks.... i.e. the elderly, people with compromised immune systems, people who smoke, anyone who has gone through chemotherapy, or anyone who's had recent surgery, people with respiratory issues, cancer survivors, etc...

Look up information on the 1918 Spanish Flu. It killed 3/4 of a million Americans. The problem was nobody knew who had it. But the mortality rate for the elderly was ginormous. In 1918 about 2% of the population was elderly. Today something like 20-25% of our population is elderly. 

I'm not worried about the 80% who are going to be fine. I'm worried about everyone I know who falls into a high risk group. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

50 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I might respectfully suggest that you are missing the point. The fact that some/many can have it without even showing symptoms is what makes it so scary. If your face turned blue and you hair fell out when you got it, that would be easy to deal with. Just avoid people with blue faces and no hair. But with this it is supposed to be super easy to transmit and you don't know who has it. 

So, people who "look" well and "feel" fine are walking around potentially infecting high risk folks.... i.e. the elderly, people with compromised immune systems, people who smoke, anyone who has gone through chemotherapy, or anyone who's had recent surgery, people with respiratory issues, cancer survivors, etc...

Look up information on the 1918 Spanish Flu. It killed 3/4 of a million Americans. The problem was nobody knew who had it. But the mortality rate for the elderly was ginormous. In 1918 about 2% of the population was elderly. Today something like 20-25% of our population is elderly. 

I'm not worried about the 80% who are going to be fine. I'm worried about everyone I know who falls into a high risk group. 

@Vinsk is a doctor FYI. But I agree that until we get all the data about when someone can infect others, we need to be diligent but not panicky. 

There are a lot more details about the 1918 influenza on the CDC site that contributed to the spread. It was wartime and some countries were being guarded about discussing the flu, including the US, to keep the enemy from knowing the extent. This kept the general public in the dark.

The only reason they called it the Spanish Flu was Spain was neutral and openly report all the deaths and details. It also had an unusually high fatality rate for healthy 20 to 40 year olds. Most flus do not.

This is why accurate communication from our health authorities is paramount.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

44 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I don’t know if you’re aware that @Vinsk is a doctor. I’m sure he’s well informed about COVID-19.

One of the problems, as he pointed out in an earlier post, is how common it is for people to go to clinics and ERs for the common cold, putting themselves at risk of exposure to the virus by being around others who actually do have it. Yes, you want people to understand the severity of this virus, but at the same time, people panicking and running to seek medical care because they have a cough is only going to make this problem worse. 

58 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding of the Spanish Flu is that it killed a high percentage of young, healthy people. The virus attacked those with strong immune systems for some medical reason that I read about but am not qualified to fully understand or explain.

Yes, old people and people with weak immune systems died from it, but they’re at risk from many infectious diseases.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yes, old people and people with weak immune systems died from it, but they’re at risk from many infectious diseases.

Last Thursday I was in the low risk zone. Friday I passed in to the high risk zone. What a difference a day makes!😀

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Last Thursday I was in the low risk zone. Friday I passed in to the high risk zone. What a difference a day makes!😀

Too bad you weren’t born on 2/29 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

@Vinsk

I meant no disrespect. I hear people every day talk about how "It doesn't impact them, because they are young and healthy". Again I'm not worried about me, but my elderly parents, who are cancer survivors, and diabetic.... I'm very worried about them. 

I only brought up the Spanish Flu because I also hear so many people say it will never happen HERE. 

So again, no disrespect. 

25 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Again I'm not worried about me, but my elderly parents, who are cancer survivors, and diabetic.... I'm very worried about them. 

No disrespect taken at all. All good. My point was these low, low risk people who are rushing around to clinics to be seen ( against CDC guidelines)  and buying up supplies aren’t doing it to protect the elderly. I’ve had tons of asymptomatic, young healthy adults come to the clinic and demand to be tested. The media is notorious for misrepresenting the truth about these types of events.

They sit in canoes to dramatize flooding only to see people walk by in the background showing the water to be less than ankle height. They act as though the wind is about to knock them down despite there being kids in the background playing without any problems. 

53 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

we need to be diligent but not panicky. 

This. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

What’s the difference between this pandemic COVID-19 and the H1N1 in 2009-2010?

I don’t remember anything being locked down or panic like this in 2009. Is this pandemic way worse?

I looked up the stats and can’t figure out why this one is worse.

A couple of cases popped up in my town, which I expected. Got an email from one of my local courses outlining changes to operations which will allow them to have adequate time to clean each day, including a later start (first tee time will be 9:00AM) and cart rentals will end earlier. I haven’t actually started playing yet, so none of this affects me.

I will, however, stop going to the gym and go back to working out at home for a few weeks.

Bill

My Swing Thread

47 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

No disrespect taken at all. All good. My point was these low, low risk people who are rushing around to clinics to be seen ( against CDC guidelines)  and buying up supplies aren’t doing it to protect the elderly. I’ve had tons of asymptomatic, young healthy adults come to the clinic and demand to be tested. The media is notorious for misrepresenting the truth about these types of events.

They sit in canoes to dramatize flooding only to see people walk by in the background showing the water to be less than ankle height. They act as though the wind is about to knock them down despite there being kids in the background playing without any problems. 

The nail you just hit on the head says "ouch".

28 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

What’s the difference between this pandemic COVID-19 and the H1N1 in 2009-2010?

I don’t remember anything being locked down or panic like this in 2009. Is this pandemic way worse?

I looked up the stats and can’t figure out why this one is worse.

Go listen to the Hannity show, he will explain it to you at length daily now it seems. But H1N1 killed over 12,000 in the US. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Note: This thread is 1469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!