IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

Here in Ohio, it's been sort of funny to see who wears masks and who doesn't and in what situations.

We've had plenty of people come into our office without one, and no we're not insisting on it. Other people want to do everything via e-mail (which we suggest). 

Don't think I've seen a single person, player or staff, wearing a mask at the local golf courses.

The stores are about 50/50, but just about all of them are using the spit guards at the cash register. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We noticing that employees are less safe wearing masks because they are touching their faces a lot to adjust the masks. They have nasty chemicals like cyanide, various acids, etc. on their gloves when they are doing this, so it's not a good scenario. Also, their safety glasses and face shields are fogging up when wearing a mask, so they have to take them off until they defog or wear them away from their face which could allow chemicals access to their eyes.

Edited by CarlSpackler
wording

- Shane

15 hours ago, David in FL said:

Interesting.

I’ve played over 20 rounds in the last 5 weeks, with our courses pretty jammed these  days.  I’ve never seen anyone wearing a mask on the course.  

I am not surprised as FL was one of the first states to open.  You guys are all rebels!

But seriously, some course I see a lot of people wearing mask, in other courses hardly anyone wears them.  But in the grocery stores, I would estimate at least 80-90% wearing masks.  Now I hear Costco is mandating a face mask be worn when shopping.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

2 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I am not surprised as FL was one of the first states to open.  You guys are all rebels!

No. Florida is just full of grumpy old men. I miss Florida. I was in my element there.

On similar note, the Jeff Dunham show I have tickets for from March is now postponed until Nov.

- Shane

• Administrator

Presented without comment (except that this is kinda funny):

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

‘ I’ve already made up my mind from when I was most frightened and I’m going to keep believing what makes me the most frightened.’

wow. That is so spot on. Yeah...too many comments can come from this...

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I got nothing!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

The only science that should be believed is that which supports my beliefs. All other science is made up. 

On another note, I’m currently sitting in a traffic jam in Columbus with a fatality. I bet it’s chalked up to COVID. 
629D407C-54F5-47A5-BF6E-FB86B9D9EB97.jpeg

- Shane

Played my first round after the shut down yesterday. Wrote about it in the 'what you shoot today' thread, so no rehash. I never gave a lot of thought about the social aspect till yesterday though. The round felt incomplete w/o the post round handshakes, beer and complaining  about the whimseys of the golf gods. I'm mostly the quiet guy in the group, during the round, limiting conversation to golf related stuff. Not yesterday, we all talked about the recent events affect on our lives, how golfing in the snow was the best round ever. We will get back to a degree of normal soon I hope, looking forward to it and committed to building those golf relationships.

Edited by Papa Steve 55

• Administrator

The below (in red) is a pulled quote from this article:

IMG_0651.jpeg

We don't want people in Georgia to die. There it is. I've found it. One thing absolutely all of us can agree upon, related to this coronavirus crisis.

OK, cool. Because as this is being typed, Georgia’s as open as any state in the union. On April 24, Brian Kemp, the governor there, gave the green light for business to mostly resume as usual, albeit with specifically stated restrictions. He was ripped for it almost universally, not least of which was by the federal government and the president of the United States, who happens to share a party affiliation.

Everyone who ripped Kemp might be proven correct, given that spikes can take a week or even longer to show.

Everyone who predicted carnage in Atlanta and across Georgia might still be proven right.

Kemp might wind up costing tens of thousands of lives, untold pain, untold peripheral damage.

But again, we can agree that scenario wouldn’t be ideal, right?

OK, cool. Because as of yesterday, according to the CDC, the nation’s health protection agency which happens to be headquartered in Atlanta, the state of Georgia had 1,203 COVID-19 patients hospitalized and 897 ventilators in use. Both figures were the lowest on record since tracking began April 8. In the past week and a half alone, patients hospitalized decreased by roughly 20 percent.

And this despite an estimated influx of 60,000 people from other states in the past couple weeks, most of them presumably eager to conduct business anywhere they can.

Take a look:

Screen-Shot-2020-05-10-at-5.10.03-PM.jpe

ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION

For full context, new coronavirus cases have gone up in Georgia since the April 24 opening, by roughly 2 percent. But even that can be directly attributed to dramatically increased testing. More testing, logically, will bring more positive tests, and impartial institutions agree that this explains the rise in case counts everywhere:

Here’s hoping Georgia succeeds. Not for idiotic, irrelevant political points, which far too many people remain focused on scoring even during a freaking pandemic, not least of whom is Kemp himself. But rather, because catastrophe would be avoided. And because we’d have, right here in our country, a living, breathing and upbeat-beyond-belief case study to add to the growing information about coronavirus.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Phase 2 reopening begins in Florida this week.

Barber shops and hair salons reopen!  If you thought the lines were long for toilet paper...   :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

13 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

How is that explained?

I don't think anyone can explain much of what is happening. The case curve looks similar between places that locked down and those that didn't, so perhaps lockdowns weren't as effective as they'd thought. I don't know. 

- Mark

I think you are confusing the curve vs. peak.

If Sweden had followed other countries, their peak may be lower even though the shape of the curve may look similar.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

9 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I think you are confusing the curve vs. peak.

If Sweden had followed other countries, their peak may be lower even though the shape of the curve may look similar.

Yes, thank you. Their peak may have been lower with lockdowns, however, it still came in much lower than the models predicted. 

- Mark

1 hour ago, Braivo said:

Sweden never locked down and their deaths are plummeting. 

deaths_lag_sweden_2020-05-11.png

There are at least two differences that you need to keep in mind about Sweden. First, they have a culture of obeying the government.  So when the government encourages social distancing, they obey. Second, they have strong recommendations that the "at risk" population locks down.  Still, there is a lot to think about as whether more countries should be following their model.

I read something this morning that discussed how much harder it is to get infected with a virus outdoors versus indoors, so some of the progress we are seeing may be the result of better weather and people being outdoors more.  Hope it doesn't reverse itself come October.

1 hour ago, gbogey said:

I read something this morning that discussed how much harder it is to get infected with a virus outdoors versus indoors, so some of the progress we are seeing may be the result of better weather and people being outdoors more.  Hope it doesn't reverse itself come October.

Hell with October.  I'll still be outside playing golf and barbequing.  November, December, January, too.