IGNORED

Tee Shot Comes to Rest in a Divot Hole in the Fairway

KoHo
Note: This thread is 1429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

TEE SHOT LANDS IN DIVOT  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How many times a year does your tee shot come to rest in a divot in the fairway?

• Less than 1 time a year
    • 1 or 2 times a year
    • More than 3 times a year

I just read this article and was wondering how often this happens to people who play a lot of golf. I haven't been playing for that long and this has never happened to me. I've watched a lot of golf on TV in the last 3 years and I think I have only seen a couple tour pros hit their approach shots out of a divot. I'm pretty sure I heard this topic come up in casual conversation when the rules where changing and people thought they should get free relief. I'm thinking it's got to be pretty rare. So my ball ends up in a divot once a year...big whoop. What do you guys think?

2020-03-07T214609Z_1394690678_NOCID_RTRM

Non-golfers not put off by complexity of golf rules - it's the unfairness they do not like...

It may seem unfair but it hardly ever happens and I do not think a rule change is in order.  I've had plenty of poor lies, in the fairway, that I would happily trade for one in a shallow divot.

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted for 1 to 2 times per year...but I can't think of an exact instance. I think if you just accept the RoG, and it didn't throw a wrench in your round, you forget about it pretty quickly. A couple of oddities come with this question though. The courses that pros play are spruced up beforehand, so you would think that it would happen less, but it might happen more because they have more consistent landing zones. I play on munis that aren't well maintained, but it doesn't happen often because there are divots everywhere but where I am usually lol.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

I can only think of one time this has happened to me in the past three years. Not hitting fairways often helps.

Although three weeks ago I hit my ball into a divot hole in greenside rough. That's an odd one.

Played them both as they lay.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

This has been addressed and the players are simply wrong. It’s not unfair. Erik has made the clear and simple analogy of hitting a tree and getting a kick back into the fairway while another goes OB. It’s golf. Shut up and play.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Certainly more than three times per year, but then, I play well in excess of 100 rounds per year.

Regardless, it is what it is, and an integral part of the game.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• iacas changed the title to Tee Shot Comes to Rest in a Divot Hole in the Fairway

Maybe one or two times a year. It's not a big deal. I just.play it as it is. 

When on the d-range i might practice hitting out of a divot a few times. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I play 50-60 rounds a year, and maybe it happens once or twice. But honestly I can’t remember the last time it happened.

At my local muni, there are worse lies than divots on the fairway sometimes, like spots with poor drainage where your feet sink 2 inches into the mud at address, or areas next to redwood trees with shallow roots that you can barely see. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

7 hours ago, billchao said:

Not hitting fairways often helps.

This is my strategy to avoid the extreme unfairness of having to play from a divot hole 1 or 2 times a year. If they changed the rule then I would hit more fairways. 😜

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Can't say I count such things, but its got to be more than three per year for me.

I'm usually 75-85 rounds per year and, yes, I play munis. Some divots are worse than others, but I'd think I land in one at least once every 5 or 6 rounds.

Like @Darkfrog said, some lies can be worse than a divot. A ball in the front of a big one at least has the back of the ball pretty well exposed. It's something you can at least advance.

25 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I'm usually 75-85 rounds per year and, yes, I play munis. Some divots are worse than others, but I'd think I land in one at least once every 5 or 6 rounds.

The divots on the courses around here are often not replaced or repaired, so they take forever to heal. Most of them could be classified as a "big dig" project since they go halfway to China.

- Shane

24 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

The divots on the courses around here are often not replaced or repaired, so they take forever to heal. Most of them could be classified as a "big dig" project since they go halfway to China.

Oh yes, @CarlSpackler, man of champagne wishes, caviar dreams and a public course budget. 

Well, get yourself into Miami Valley where they've never heard of a divot and bring us along. We can see how the other half live.

Can't say I'm that well traveled, but I don't think our public courses are all that worse on average than public courses anywhere.

Edited by mcanadiens

An interesting quote from the end of the article:

SPL’s chief psychologist said: "The recent revision of the rules of golf has gone a long way to remove the perception of complexity amongst the general public.

"However, to attract greater numbers to the game the ruling bodies need to address the perception of unfairness that some of the rules create.

"In a post COVID-19 world, equity and fairness are likely to be driving factors in the decisions that people make about the organisations and activities that they will engage with."

I'm not sure that a psychologist is the best individual to tell the gold world what it needs to do to attract new golfers.  He seems to say that "equity" and "fairness" are essentially the same thing, and they're not, at least in golf.  Equity is treating similar things in a similar fashion.  The Rules of Golf do their best to do that.  Fairness is a more nebulous goal, and isn't necessarily part of golf.  

Fairness isn't a one-way street, or it shouldn't be.  If we were to choose to eliminate the situations where a result was "worse than deserved", we should also eliminate the occasions where the result was "better than deserved".  Every time you take relief from a divot hole, you should do so expecting to have to toss a ball back into the woods where it was headed before it bounced off the tree.  That's fair!  But life isn't fair, bounces aren't always fair, golf isn't always fair in that way.  

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I don't know that it's about that. The mowers just take the divots out of their holes at the nice courses around here, and most divots don't include the roots, etc. I think it's just that the nicer courses have healthier grass, so it fills in much more quickly.

But that's just having talked to a few maintenance guys who told me how replacing divots almost never matters in a late-night round because "the mower will just come along the next morning and pick them off anyway" (paraphrasing what they've told me).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Oh yes, @CarlSpackler, man of champagne wishes, caviar dreams and a public course budget. 

Well, get yourself into Miami Valley where they've never heard of a divot and bring us along. We can see how the other half live.

Can't say I'm that well traveled, but I don't think our public courses are all that worse on average than public courses anywhere.

My budget could easily accommodate a private club once I pay off a few vehicles currently consuming $1150 a month. As far as other parts of the country, it's not like muni fairways are plush, but Kitttyhawk (RIP) was exceptionally bad. I've seen divots in tee boxes and fairways that you could plant a tree in. They should put orange cones by some of those things to keep a kid from falling in. It may be a coincidence that there is often a mark that resembles a club head smashed into the ground right next to it.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't know that it's about that. The mowers just take the divots out of their holes at the nice courses around here, and most divots don't include the roots, etc. I think it's just that the nicer courses have healthier grass, so it fills in much more quickly.

But that's just having talked to a few maintenance guys who told me how replacing divots almost never matters in a late-night round because "the mower will just come along the next morning and pick them off anyway" (paraphrasing what they've told me).

I was referring more to repairing with sand. Replacing divots seems to work in the spring when the ground is soft, but they just burn up in the hotter summer months. Nicer public courses often have a sand container on the cart and/or a container of sand on tee boxes. That practice seems to help divots heal faster.

36 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Fairness isn't a one-way street, or it shouldn't be.  If we were to choose to eliminate the situations where a result was "worse than deserved", we should also eliminate the occasions where the result was "better than deserved".  Every time you take relief from a divot hole, you should do so expecting to have to toss a ball back into the woods where it was headed before it bounced off the tree.  That's fair!  But life isn't fair, bounces aren't always fair, golf isn't always fair in that way.  

Amen! We tend to have a self-centered view of "fairness" and don't take into account that sometimes things go against us. I readily admit that I am guilty of this. In terms of playing out of divots, all you need to do is hit your driver farther than the average golfer. This will significantly decrease the odds of a ball ending up in a divot.

- Shane

I can't remember the last time it happened. Less than once a year for sure, and I play year round in Houston. 

22 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

My budget could easily accommodate a private club once I pay off a few vehicles currently consuming $1150 a month. As far as other parts of the country, it's not like muni fairways are plush, but Kitttyhawk (RIP) was exceptionally bad. I've seen divots in tee boxes and fairways that you could plant a tree in. They should put orange cones by some of those things to keep a kid from falling in. It may be a coincidence that there is often a mark that resembles a club head smashed into the ground right next to it.

Those car loans can kick your butt.  

There is no denying that Kittyhawk had more than its share of divots. That said, at the moment, Kittyhawk is surely one of the nicest pieces of abandoned property in the entire City of Dayton.  

While playing out of a divot annoys me.....it happens so seldom that it really doesn’t move the needle. I generally play <$50 courses that usually don’t have the highest maint budgets or the most conscientious players

Note: This thread is 1429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!