IGNORED

Top Five Courses in Your Area

Hoganman1
Note: This thread is 1359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I live in Charlotte and here's my list of what I think are the best courses here.

#1 Quail Hollow Country Club

#2 Charlotte Country Club

#3 Carolina Golf and Country Club

#4 Carmel Country Club (South Course)

#5 Myers Park Country Club (My Home Course)

What do you think are the best five in your community?

6 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

I live in Charlotte and here's my list of what I think are the best courses here.

#1 Quail Hollow Country Club

#2 Charlotte Country Club

#3 Carolina Golf and Country Club

#4 Carmel Country Club (South Course)

#5 Myers Park Country Club (My Home Course)

What do you think are the best five in your community?

Are we talking courses we can play regularly or ones that we’ve played including private.

If it’s the later, I’ve played

1. Charter Oaks (Private)
  2. Nashawtuc (Private)
  3. Kernwood (Private)
  4. Lake Winnipesaukee CC (Private)
  5. Salem CC (Private)

Public that I’ve played 

1. Black Swan
  2. Red Tail
  3. The Oaks
  4. Hickory Hill
  5. The Meadows

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It'll be interesting to see if Phillyk agrees with me.  In no particular order:

1. Loomis Trail (NCAA Championships played there several years ago)

2. Eaglemont (But now unfortunately closed)

3. Shuksan 

4. North Bellingham

5. Avalon (South turning to North - 27 hole course)

What is the definition of "area"?  I'm using 30 miles.  If it's 100 miles I'm including Chambers Bay.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It'll be interesting to see if Phillyk agrees with me.  In no particular order:

1. Loomis Trail (NCAA Championships played there several years ago)

2. Eaglemont (But now unfortunately closed)

3. Shuksan 

4. North Bellingham

5. Avalon (South turning to North - 27 hole course)

What is the definition of "area"?  I'm using 30 miles.  If it's 100 miles I'm including Chambers Bay.

I haven't yet played Loomis Trail. It was on my soon to play list before my episode. Also haven't played Eaglemont. Love that unnamed course. Not a fan of North Bellingham, though I haven't played there in many years but I would miss having trees on the course, esthetically. Avalon is good as is Lake Padden. I'm still hoping to get over to Gamble Sands (no trees there, either) but I guess we'll see.

Edited by Zippo
Fixed spelling

There's "best", and then there's my favorites. 

Best I've played are mostly private. 

1. Fox Meadow CC

2. Medina CC

3. Sleepy Hollow (Public)

4. Grey Hawk

5. The Quarry

My favorites: 

1. Bunker Hill (Close, challenging enough without being annoyingly hard and well kept)

2. Copper Top (Thursday league course. Very well maintained, inexpensive, and a really solid layout. Some good scoring holes and some real tough ones)

3. Royal Crest (Dirt track...I know the course like the back of my hand and play here to boost my confidence)

4. Sleepy Hollow (Course is extremely difficult...one of the hardest in the area and eats my lunch every time. But it's such a great layout.

5. Springvale (Another well maintained inexpensive course with a fun layout)

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I'm talking about courses you've played, public or private. Also, I consider area to be within a 20 mile radius of where you live. I know golf publications always put out lists of what they consider to be "the best". I'm just curious as to what those who post here think. Remember, it's your opinion and you cannot be wrong.

I'm a bit limited on this as I haven't played many of the expensive courses in the area, of the ones I've played and like the most:

1. Torrey North - I play here most every week, a great value at $31 for city resident seniors ($122 for nonresidents), bonus points as it's a great course to walk.

2. Torrey South - If I can't get a tee time on the North, also a great value at $44 for city resident seniors ($202 for nonresidents!), also a great walking course.  Minus some points as it can be a bit too difficult for me with it's length and well bunkered elevated greens that seem to repeal my "good shots".  When the rough is up, forget about it.

3.  Grand Del Mar (not in my price range, did play there as part of a wedding event)

4.  Rancho Santa Fe Country Club (invited to play there by my boss's boss)

5.  Coronado - a good value and a good place to take out of towners as the price is the same for residents and nonresidents.  Coronado is an easy course to walk.

Edited by No Mulligans

I only took one of the Firestone Courses just to give other courses some recognition. 

1. Brookside C.C.
2. Firestone - North
3. The Quarry
4. Legends of Massillon
5. Windmill Lakes

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

38 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I'm talking about courses you've played, public or private. Also, I consider area to be within a 20 mile radius of where you live.

Since this is the requirement then please see as follows: 

1) Memorial Park Golf Course (Renovated by Tom Doak)- I give it a 6 on the Doak Scale. 

2) Cypresswood (Tradition Course)- I give it a 5 on the Doak Scale 

3) High Meadow Ranch- I give it a 5 on the Doak scale (probably overrated but I love the undulating greens here)

4) Raveneuax Country Club- I give it a 4 on the Doak Scale. 

5) Blackhorse (South)- I give it a 4 on the Doak Scale (Could be a 5, but the long cart rides to the first tee and from the 18th tee are strange...also the quarry holes are not as special as they are made out to be)

From what I've played:

1. Innisbrook - Copperhead

2. Innisbrook - Island

3. Fox Hollow

4. Eagles - Forest Course

5. TPC Tampa

I would normally have TPC much higher, based on my first several times playing it.  However, the last time I played it, the greens were in horrible shape.  They had recently punched and sanded them, but that had been a month prior.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

In the Washington DC area, most of the "best" are private, so I haven't played many of the Maryland courses.  I've been on most of the northern Virginia courses, and although there are a number of good courses, none seem particularly special to me.  Of the ones I have played, I'd say the best will include:

Congressional CC - host of US Opens, US Senior Opens, and numerous PGA Tour visits.

River Bend CC - Of the northern VA privates, I think this has the best course, following a full renovation about 10 years ago.

That's enough, really.  Woodmont CC in Bethesda MD has hosted US Open qualifying many times, and was set to host the Women's US Amateur, but I've not played it.  Trump's championship course in Sterling VA  is a solid course that I have played, but it doesn't seem special to me.  Robert Trent Jones GC course in Gainesville has hosted major events, including a number of President's Cups, but its another one that I haven't played..

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

The likes of me have only rarely set foot on a private course. My list is public only and, since I'm a hacker, this is by reputation and not my own preferences. I prefer my courses short and easy.

1) Beavercreek Golf Club

2) Heatherwood

3) Yankee Trace

4) Cassel Hills

5) Meadowbrook

Edited by mcanadiens

Within 20 minutes of me is Deepdale GC (less than 10 minutes), Engineers CC, Sands Point CC, Glen Oaks, Old Westbury.

Make it 30 minutes and there's Winged Foot, Wykagyl.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

5 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The likes of me have only rarely set foot on a private course. My list is public only and, since I'm a hacker, this is by reputation and not my own preferences. I prefer my courses short and easy.

1) Beavercreek Golf Club

2) Heatherwood

3) Yankee Trace

4) Cassel Hills

5) Meadowbrook

I still need to get out to the last 3 on here. I'm fond of Heatherwoode, and have only played Beavercreek once. I Jamaica Run was in really good shape and would make my list, but I don't think that I have enough courses that are worthy to even make one. The only other that could be considered isn't really close and that is Aston Oaks down in North Bend.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

3 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I still need to get out to the last 3 on here. I'm fond of Heatherwoode, and have only played Beavercreek once. I Jamaica Run was in really good shape and would make my list, but I don't think that I have enough courses that are worthy to even make one. The only other that could be considered isn't really close and that is Aston Oaks down in North Bend.

Jamaica Run is a bit goofy. There are a couple of holes where you have to figure out where the green is before you tee off. It's decent conditions for the price, but I don't like that layout. Plus it is one heck of a drive for me. 

Yankee Trace and Cassel Hills are both pretty solid courses. They are also a bit pricey, but probably places you should visit at least once. 

Never have played at Meadowbrook, but it used to be private. Sounds like Clayton is doing a half decent job keeping conditions up to spec. Greens fees with a cart are mid 30s on weekdays and weekend afternoons, may give it a try if I can find the right sucker to go with me. 

Just now, mcanadiens said:

may give it a try if I can find the right sucker to go with me.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I can see Jamaica giving off that vibe. Particularly holes 6 and 8 (the 2 par 5s with extreme dogleg left layouts). The first time my buddy and I played it, we hit our second shots on 8 about 130 degrees in the wrong direction, trying to play the wrong way up 15 fairway back towards its tee box, as opposed to going the correct way. We were properly lost. The only other hole that kind of has that problem is 18, but they give you that big flag over the pond to shoot for.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

5 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Jamaica Run is a bit goofy.

That's an understatement.

I would probably replace Cassel Hills with Pipestone on your original list. If you ever want to drive north a bit. Arrowhead up in Minster is really nice for a muni.

- Shane

19 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

That's an understatement.

I would probably replace Cassel Hills with Pipestone on your original list. If you ever want to drive north a bit. Arrowhead up in Minster is really nice for a muni.

There are arguments that can be made for Pipestone.

I suppose I left it off my list primarily because I haven't been there in eight or nine years. My buddy, the Rakopotamus had me play my first-ever round at Rollandia and then inflicted Pipestone on me for the second round. Needless to say, that was a very long day and I've never gone back.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1359 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!