IGNORED

What Are the Chances That the Golfer, Who Played 9, Will Go Onto Play 18?

golfindude1
Note: This thread is 1287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has there been studies, surveys, data, etc. about this? I'm really curious because I can't imagine literally every golfer going on to play 9 more holes after playing their first 9 holes. I tried to find it using my university library's OneSearch tool, but I couldn't find any.

Depends. If I pay for 9 and finish and the course isn’t backed up, I may pay for another 9. I do this at a local 9 hole course a lot. If there is a back up, I will go home.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

51 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Depends. If I pay for 9 and finish and the course isn’t backed up, I may pay for another 9. I do this at a local 9 hole course a lot. If there is a back up, I will go home.

This is me also.    Sometimes later in the evening if I've decided to only play 9 and the course is empty, I'll play more.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I'm not aware of any studies but there have been times that I have gone on for 18 when I started out to play only 9.  It depends on many factors such as if I get through the 1st 9 fast enough that I have more time on my than anticipated, do my playing partners want to continue, weather, sunlight, how busy is the course, etc.

In regards to sunlight, I have occasionally tried the extra 9 knowing I would not get through, but if I could get 5-6 holes before sunset I would often be up to it.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

My normal schedule is 18 on weekends and 9 during midweek. I have only played an additional 9 a handful of times during the week because I finished my original 9 early and I felt I did not swing enough.  I only play in the morning and have a membership so I actually can keep playing for the rest of the day - but I don’t.

Prior to this year, I almost always played 18 holes. The time and expense of going to the course in the first place was significant enough to make nine holes not seem worthwhile. 

This year, with my home course just a couple of miles away, its an easy thing to fit in nine holes here and there. With the course so busy, it's often possible for the staff to let me go off the back if there is a gap. I also find it easier to maintain my concentration for 9 holes instead of 18. 

Probably about 20% of the time I'll make the turn after playing nine and that normally depends on my schedule, how reasonable the pace of play is and whether I'm playing worth a darn or not.

I do this quite often. i will start out planning on just playing 9 holes. Then after the 9th hole, I figure why not, and play the other 9 holes. 

I'm warmed up, and usually playing well after 9 holes. Why waste the moment. 

As for stats on this, I have no idea where to look, or if there is any. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to What Are the Chances That the Golfer, Who Played 9, Will Go Onto Play 18?

Unless you are a member at wherever you are playing, few people will go pay the 9 hole price again. I'd imagine that among fully paid members that it goes up a bit, but still, they were planning on playing 9, and it's pretty rare for a golf course to be fast/empty enough to justify 18 when you slotted out 2-2.5 hours

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

20 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Unless you are a member at wherever you are playing, few people will go pay the 9 hole price again. I'd imagine that among fully paid members that it goes up a bit, but still, they were planning on playing 9, and it's pretty rare for a golf course to be fast/empty enough to justify 18 when you slotted out 2-2.5 hours

I can’t speak to private clubs but most public courses I’ve played only charge the difference between the 18 & 9 hole price if you decide to do an additional nine.  Not as expensive as paying for 9 twice. And if using a cart they have not asked for a 2nd cart fee.

I do a fair amount of late afternoon golf so it often is not backed up and extending can be done late in the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Are we talking about a brand new person to game of golf deciding whether 18 is in their wheelhouse or whether to stick to 9 holes? Or about someone, normal golfer, paying to play 9 but upgrades or not to play another or the other 9?

When I first read the topic, I assumed the first one. But most people are responding in the form of the second one. 

In response to the first, I’d assume some golfers do not make the leap to full length golf courses from executives (or 9 to 18 holes, either way). Could be location, price, or motivation. I’m sure the PGA has something to predict what percentage of golfers move on. But idk. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Approximately zilch.  Most people play 9 when there isn't time to play 18.  Or...the person taking them out figures they will be knackered long before they have completed the entire circuit.  A better question would be:  what percentage of people who play golf once decide they haven't had enough?

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I've learned my lesson. Pay for 9. Play 9. If my back is feeling good after 9, play 18, go into the pro shop after the round and pay up. If it's borderline, go home. They're used to me doing this. It's easier to do this than ask for a rain check due to a back injury after 9 holes.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

9 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Yeah. membership or not is probably part of a disconnect on this question.

The whole business of going back to the club house to pay for the extra nine would have me going to the parking lot 100% of the time after hole 9. Then again, if I had to travel in any significant way, I'd be playing 18 holes to begin with.

I would 100% play another 9 if the pace was good, like 1:45 ish, but that's 100% never going to happen where I am, so for me, nope. I do see a fair number of people sneaking onto the 10th for another 9 though. A lot.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 10/12/2020 at 7:25 AM, boogielicious said:

I kind of think this IS the answer.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

The only time I do that is with twilight hours where you can play as many holes as you want. Besides that, I never try to sneak in 9 holes if I just paid for 9. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I actually just played 18 but the plan and my tee time was for 9 only. No one was infront of me so I finished in 1:10, figured I could spare another hour to play instead of going to the range. Finished 18 in 2.5 hrs. I may do it again on Thursday...

On 10/12/2020 at 8:31 AM, FlyingAce said:

My normal schedule is 18 on weekends and 9 during midweek. I have only played an additional 9 a handful of times during the week because I finished my original 9 early and I felt I did not swing enough.  I only play in the morning and have a membership so I actually can keep playing for the rest of the day - but I don’t.

Hi Ace:

Are you talking about your new course?...isn't your new course 1.5 hrs drive return?....if yes, why would you drive so far just to play 9?

Considering you cart...I'm surprised you don't play 36 a day....remember...your season is ending soon.

UGH...summer like conditions are over here....cold and rainy wet here now...loss of distance too...BLAH....and the pathetic thing....because of Covid.....courses continue to be sold out everyday with price gouging.

Note: This thread is 1287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!