IGNORED

What Are Your 2021 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After almost a year off from golf in 2019 due to two torn tendons in my elbow this is (possibly) the year of my comeback.

2019 was an expensive year of physical therapists, sports doctors, chiropractors, orthopedic surgeons and various other shamans and witch doctors.  

I spent all of the wonderful pandemic year of 2020 trying to get my game back to some semblance of its former self.  Didn't even bother keeping a handicap... every round was practice. 

Not sure I'm fully back yet but I'm going give it a shot and begin posting scores again for GHIN as soon as the season opens here in NW Washington on March 1st.  Initially I lost 30 yards on my drives and 15 yards on my irons, but that is coming back. 

We'll see where it all goes.  I'd like to get back in the 2's but that is open to doubt right now.  Still have to wear a compression sleeve and a brace on the right elbow.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

After almost a year off from golf in 2019 due to two torn tendons in my elbow this is (possibly) the year of my comeback.

2019 was an expensive year of physical therapists, sports doctors, chiropractors, orthopedic surgeons and various other shamans and witch doctors.  

I spent all of the wonderful pandemic year of 2020 trying to get my game back to some semblance of its former self.  Didn't even bother keeping a handicap... every round was practice. 

Not sure I'm fully back yet but I'm going give it a shot and begin posting scores again for GHIN as soon as the season opens here in NW Washington on March 1st.  Initially I lost 30 yards on my drives and 15 yards on my irons, but that is coming back. 

We'll see where it all goes.  I'd like to get back in the 2's but that is open to doubt right now.  Still have to wear a compression sleeve and a brace on the right elbow.

How did you get injured if you don't mind my asking?

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

How did you get injured if you don't mind my asking?

I took on Bryson DeChambeau in a wrestling match. 

Seriously, it was an overuse injury.  Too much golf, too much range time... elbow was getting more and more sore but I thought I'd play through it.  Oh, and the driver demo day on the range didn't help.  A few days later, playing with friends, I hit a solid drive off #14 and screamed in agony.  Walked off the course and got an MRI.  It was more than golfer's elbow and a bit less than a Tommy John injury.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I took on Bryson DeChambeau in a wrestling match. 

Seriously, it was an overuse injury.  Too much golf, too much range time... elbow was getting more and more sore but I thought I'd play through it.  Oh, and the driver demo day on the range didn't help.  A few days later, playing with friends, I hit a solid drive off #14 and screamed in agony.  Walked off the course and got an MRI.  It was more than golfer's elbow and a bit less than a Tommy John injury.

Glad you are back swinging. Life's no fun without golf.

Vishal S.

1 minute ago, GolfLug said:

Glad you are back swinging. Life's no fun without golf.

Thank you.  Truer words were never spoken.  But if I cut out golf, cocktails, girls and coffee I'd be a wealthy man... but where's the fun in that???

5 hours ago, NotThatRobLowe said:

5. Improve putting to largely eliminate three putts and increase one putts.

I found that for me the quickest surefire way to cut down on my number of putts was working like crazy on my short irons and wedges. It had the added benefit of cutting penalty strokes too. Lots of water protecting the greens on the courses I play.

15 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It was more than golfer's elbow and a bit less than a Tommy John injury.

You should have had them fix it like this kid.

A6A2AEFF-9175-469D-948E-692A5484A673.jpeg

Best of luck in your comeback. These injuries do take a while to heal.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Lessons (2/20 1st lesson)and practice in the offseason(2/21 start). Continue lessons but more spread out in season. 
Buy a full mat to use in backyard with net. Actually practice what is shown to me in lessons. 
Stop being that awful at golf! 

:cobra: UL stand Bag
:ping: G425 Max
 :ping: hybrid G15 20 * 
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

:vokey:54*
:tmade: High Toe 58*

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport

:clicgear:

22 hours ago, Esox said:

I found that for me the quickest surefire way to cut down on my number of putts was working like crazy on my short irons and wedges. It had the added benefit of cutting penalty strokes too. Lots of water protecting the greens on the courses I play.

Thanks. Been practicing chipping more than putting. Played a course today with a ton of water. Didn't eliminate penalties or reduce 3 putting today! Back to the range this week. 

1 hour ago, NotThatRobLowe said:

Thanks. Been practicing chipping more than putting. Played a course today with a ton of water. Didn't eliminate penalties or reduce 3 putting today! Back to the range this week. 

Water?!  According to tournaments on TV they don't call it water anymore.  It's a "penalty area".  When I become dehydrated I always go for a glass of penalty area.

• Funny 2

17 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Water?!  According to tournaments on TV they don't call it water anymore.  It's a "penalty area".  When I become dehydrated I always go for a glass of penalty area.

I'll remember that. I was sure hydrated that day.

Swing - Get onto left side, continue w/shallowing, staying in inclination, Key #4, more athletic.

Short Game - Finesse wedges and shorter BS too long and hingy and are "over the bottom", fix that.

Instruction - May look for a new instructor, have seen a few that I like close by to me.

Game - Continue videoing on course, more swinging without thinking, keep trying to break 40 for 9.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

My goals are pretty simple this year.

• Play the entire year
  • Book at least 3 lessons

I live in Florida and we have no forced off season. I literally can play year round and I just don't for whatever mundane excuse/reason that I allow myself to justify stopping me from playing all year. Other hobbies, colder weather, etc, etc...all a bunch of excuses really. My reason behind this is to avoid the "knocking off the rust" phase after not playing for 3-4 months at a time. I want to see what I can personally achieve if I play all year, last Season was good to me and I had multiple opportunities to shoot under par and that was really exciting!

:titleist:

:tmade:

My goal this year is to shoot on avg 82 and break 80 a few times. 

I will accomplish this by going down the list of separation values from most important to least.

I will start by reading LSW first so the below strategy might need to change after reading the book. 

1) I will start by figuring out how to hit a go to drive which will be a fade. (currently, I lose at least a ball a round (sometimes more) to an errant drive. Current drive is generally a draw that carries 260 but every now and then I'll hook it into the woods or slice badly.

I'm hoping that I can hit this with a 250 yard carry and consistently hit it with tighter dispersion and keep the balls in play. 

2) I will continue on my wedge and approach shots and goal will be to land (on the driving range / simulator) 80% of my shots within 10 yards of target for anything 100-125 yards and in. 

3) I will work on pw - 7 iron and try to get 80% within 15 yards of target for anything 130-175

4) I will work on my 6 iron and try to 80%  within 20 yards

5) I will work on my 4 and 5 iron and get 80% within 25 yards

6)Prior to every round, I will look at the course on app or google Earth and map out a strategy for every hole. 

7) I will take an aimpoint lesson or something equivalent to help read the Greens better

😎

😎

8. I will practice chipping at least twice a week for 20 min

9) I will go to course early before a round and work on my 25+ ft lag putts and get 80% within 6 ft 

What's in my Bag
Driver R7 9.5 Stiff
3 Wood R7 Stiff
Irons R7 TP Stiff 3-PW
Wedge Vokey Spin Milled 52, 56, 60Putter Studio Select Newport 2.0Ball NXT

My 2021 golf goal is pathetically modest.

I would like to enjoy at least 15 rounds of golf.  Playing 20 rounds would be great.

To achieve that, I have to assume the work on my back is going to be sufficient.  If I swing half way like Allen Doyle, it might be workable playing 1-3 times per month.    I would not be able to practice full shots often or warm up.    My practice should be on 30-50 yard shorts, chipping and putting.  

Due to back and neck issues, I have played only a few times since 2014.  I recall like yesterday the loud snap in my back just before impact on the 13th tee.  I was on fire at 8 under par and felt for sure I was going to shoot 61 or 62.  I had told my wife the day before that I'd be shooting a 64 soon.    Having a goal like breaking 80 once this year just seems depressing.  Maybe I have to pretend I am starting fresh as if I never played the game.  Instead, I am just going to focus on learning to play again at whatever level that is.  I started to play last year.  I reshafted my irons for more upright and slower swing and a different loading.  Golf courses then closed.  Then, I had pneumonia for about 5 weeks.  I went out once.  I was horrible although I dunked a 50 yard bunker shot for eagle, which is what I try to remember, it brings new meaning to a bad day on the golf course is better than the best day at work.   It took about a week to recover.  So, I hope to play every two weeks or thereabouts.  GL to all with this year

Note: This thread is 822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!