IGNORED

2021 AT&T Pebble Beach

phillyk
Note: This thread is 1118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, Patrick Cantlay is most hyped for this week, I believe, and he is not disappointing. -8 through 11 holes right now. Always an interesting event with the AM’s joining in. Other big topic is how will Speith do after last week? Off to a reasonable start. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to 2021 AT&T Pebble Beach

They had something on the Golf Channel last night that Jim Nantz announced from a golf cart from Ken Venturi.   There were three groups of celebrity ams that played.  Alfonso Ribeiro seems to have a good game as does Larry Fitzgerald.   It's easy to get too much of Bill Murray.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I caught a few minutes of a lead-up to the AT&T on the Golf Channel last night.  The gal anchor said Pebble Beach was expensive but she had played it once.  Said she ran out of golf balls and had to buy more at the turn.  There is no turn at Pebble... the 9th and 10th holes are about two miles from the pro shop.  That was a strange statement...

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Said she ran out of golf balls and had to buy more at the turn.  There is no turn at Pebble...

Maybe an enterprising 9 year-old kid on his bike with a backpack full of ProV1 sleeves? :-D

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

4 hours ago, phillyk said:

Well, Patrick Cantlay is most hyped for this week, I believe, and he is not disappointing. -8 through 11 holes right now. Always an interesting event with the AM’s joining in. Other big topic is how will Speith do after last week? Off to a reasonable start. 

I took Cantlay in my One-n-Done league (nothing brave about taking the top ranked player, I know)

...my heart said Spieth - and I might regret it.

Go Spieth!

6 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

ISaid she ran out of golf balls and had to buy more at the turn.  There is no turn at Pebble... 

Maybe a scuba diver set up a stall on the beach. :-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I get excited for this tournament every year because I like watching Pebble and its neighbors.  Then they spend too much time showing the celebrities and big wigs stink at golf and interviewing them and I stop watching.

This year should be a nice change of pace. 🙂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I get excited for this tournament every year because I like watching Pebble and its neighbors.  Then they spend too much time showing the celebrities and big wigs stink at golf and interviewing them and I stop watching.

This year should be a nice change of pace. 🙂

Agree. They are following the Spyglass rounds better too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Sometimes watching them struggles comforts me. I mean, I don’t wish they play badly, but it somehow makes me feel better about my own shots:

• Funny 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I notice this is true of last week as well as today; the cameras seem to have way more trouble picking up the golf balls than in the past.  Perhaps this is Covid related?  Are they running more cameras remotely or using fewer spotters or what?  Very frequently (basically all 3 in the last group just now on 11) they switch to the camera at the landing spot and it’s just kinda panning and not seeing anything.

Anyways - nice to see Jordan playing well for a scone straight week.

On 2/11/2021 at 2:54 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

I caught a few minutes of a lead-up to the AT&T on the Golf Channel last night.  The gal anchor said Pebble Beach was expensive but she had played it once.  Said she ran out of golf balls and had to buy more at the turn.  There is no turn at Pebble... the 9th and 10th holes are about two miles from the pro shop.  That was a strange statement...

Actually, Pebble does have a "turn", in the original sense of the word in fact.  If my history is correct, the original links courses usually had hole 9 at the farthest point on the course, then you "turned" to come back and play the 2nd 9 holes - kinda like Pebble. Over the years, the "turn" has come to mean the point between hole 9 and 10 regardless of where that point was - even though at most courses that's back at the clubhouse.

To your point though, yeah it would be hard to get balls at hole #10 on Pebble, unless maybe there's a snack and equipment shop there.  I do see some kind of structure there on Google Earth...

• Like 1

Bill

26 minutes ago, sacm3bill said:

Actually, Pebble does have a "turn", in the original sense of the word in fact.  If my history is correct, the original links courses usually had hole 9 at the farthest point on the course, then you "turned" to come back and play the 2nd 9 holes - kinda like Pebble. Over the years, the "turn" has come to mean the point between hole 9 and 10 regardless of where that point was - even though at most courses that's back at the clubhouse.

To your point though, yeah it would be hard to get balls at hole #10 on Pebble, unless maybe there's a snack and equipment shop there.  I do see some kind of structure there on Google Earth...

Come to think of it, when I played there several years ago there was a small snack stand up in the trees to the left of the 10th tee.  Candy bars, chips and life-saving double gin & tonics.  Perhaps they also sold golf balls.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, sacm3bill said:

Actually, Pebble does have a "turn", in the original sense of the word in fact.  If my history is correct, the original links courses usually had hole 9 at the farthest point on the course, then you "turned" to come back and play the 2nd 9 holes

Makes sense to me.  I’ve always assumed this is why the traditional heading on all scorecards for your front nine score column was “out” and your back score was “in.”

I’m certainly enjoying the lack of wasted camera time on ridiculous celebrities. But I don’t understand why we have to watch non-golfers talk. They keep the play going on the side during commercials, who are paying for the time, yet we have to stop play to watch some guest or announcers chat. They wanna run their ball-washers fine, but keep the cameras on the golf.

• Like 3

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Is there anyone else,  who can't stand watching Berger putt, he drives me crazy with his putting routine.  

• Like 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 1118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!