IGNORED

Arm Lock Putting - Ban or Continue to Allow?

iacas

Arm Lock Putting  

68 members have voted

1. 1. If you were czar of the USGA and R&A, would you ban or continue to allow "Arm Lock" putting?

• Continue to Allow
    • Find a Way to Ban

17 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

I was talking to a Sr PGA Tour member and 4 time PGA winner 2 months ago and he mentioned that this would be the next big thing. He didn't have a big problem with it and thought it may extend a few careers. He did have an issue with anchoring and said that many guys still have a problem with Langer's non-anchored approach to the long putter. Interestingly enough he said he saw an elderly Sam Snead demo his illegal side saddle stroke and how he was lethal. 

Personally, I don't have an issue with it, and honestly didn't have an issue with the belly putter either. 

Correction, Sam Snead's "straddle" the line croquet stroke was deemed illegal shortly after he finished 10th at the Masters at age 55. He ended up changing to side saddle so as not to make a stroke from "astride".  Seems that the purists did not take kindly to Sneed's creativeness in his bid to cure his yips. Side saddle was Snead's answer to the ruling and it worked for him. 

So this begs the question for anyone wanting to ban the arm lock, how would you enforce it? The critics, including Tour locker room talk, say that Langer, McCarron, and Scott are on the honor system for the anchoring so is that really enforced? It seems to me that if you are going to allow the club to be braced against the forearm why not just bring back the anchoring as well? Except for chin anchoring, that just looks dumb (kidding, not kidding, just me stirring the pot).  So my stance is keep the arm lock, and let the belly putters return. Looking back, I was one of the few amateurs that even tried it. While it helped stabilize the face, it did nothing for speed so I went with a face balanced Scotty and recently found the Spider Mallet trimmed to 33.5 inches with a left hand low grip. We will all keep trying until we find our way. 

Carry on Trappers. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

At the end of the day, it's a game. Ball in hole. Write your score. Lowest Score Wins (™️ ... 😉. ). Why do we have to regulate HOW people play the game? What's next.... penalty if your ball doesn't curve enough in the air?

36 minutes ago, nandersen said:

At the end of the day, it's a game. Ball in hole. Write your score. Lowest Score Wins (™️ ... 😉. ). Why do we have to regulate HOW people play the game? What's next.... penalty if your ball doesn't curve enough in the air?

Should we let people use pool cues to finish putting? I understand your comment, but golf is a game and games have rules. Golf is supposed to be a game where you swing a club to score. Anchoring removes part of the swinging aspect. This method still swings, so it doesn’t bother me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, TourSpoon said:

Correction, Sam Snead's "straddle" the line croquet stroke was deemed illegal shortly after he finished 10th at the Masters at age 55. He ended up changing to side saddle so as not to make a stroke from "astride".  Seems that the purists did not take kindly to Sneed's creativeness in his bid to cure his yips. Side saddle was Snead's answer to the ruling and it worked for him. 

So this begs the question for anyone wanting to ban the arm lock, how would you enforce it? The critics, including Tour locker room talk, say that Langer, McCarron, and Scott are on the honor system for the anchoring so is that really enforced? It seems to me that if you are going to allow the club to be braced against the forearm why not just bring back the anchoring as well? Except for chin anchoring, that just looks dumb (kidding, not kidding, just me stirring the pot).  So my stance is keep the arm lock, and let the belly putters return. Looking back, I was one of the few amateurs that even tried it. While it helped stabilize the face, it did nothing for speed so I went with a face balanced Scotty and recently found the Spider Mallet trimmed to 33.5 inches with a left hand low grip. We will all keep trying until we find our way. 

Carry on Trappers. 

i think you enforce it by limiting the length of putters. Drivers have a 48'' limit. Why not cap putters at 36''

• Thumbs Up 1

Sure, it looks a bit odd, especially when DeChambeau is doing it, as he looks so stiff. However, other things look odd too: remember Michelle Wie's putting stance? Putting is really such a personal thing. I say let them have it (and/or have at it)! 

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I voted to ban it, although I don't think it is essential to do so right away. I did not understand the original ban of anchoring to the body versus anchoring to your arm. Yes I know the argument that it is not fixed, but why not have just done away with any type of anchoring.  I feel this would have been a cleaner break rather than let this unique case run on only to get banned later.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Michael

8 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

Sure, it looks a bit odd, especially when DeChambeau is doing it, as he looks so stiff. However, other things look odd too: remember Michelle Wie's putting stance? Putting is really such a personal thing. I say let them have it (and/or have at it)! 

Michelle Wie's putting stance was something most would rather see than watching Bryson putt! 

3 minutes ago, mchepp said:

I voted to ban it, although I don't think it is essential to do so right away. I did not understand the original ban of anchoring to the body versus anchoring to your arm. Yes I know the argument that it is not fixed, but why not have just done away with any type of anchoring.  I feel this would have been a cleaner break rather than let this unique case run on only to get banned later.

I appreciate this logic even though I went the other way. I see both sides. 

32 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

i think you enforce it by limiting the length of putters. Drivers have a 48'' limit. Why not cap putters at 36''

This would take care of Langer, McCarron, and Scott too. Others say to dictate that the putter has to be the shortest club in the bag. 

I am rather enjoying this thread. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

3 hours ago, nandersen said:

I know - next thing they'll be making you putt out from 4 feet and make you count balls that go in the water.

Ridiculous how big brother even makes the "rules" about a game.

Nothing more insane than having a game where "rules" define how you play. Makes a mockery of the terms "sport" and 'game".

I just stay at home and write 68 on a piece of paper three times a week.

• Funny 2

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

16 minutes ago, Shorty said:

you got most of us beat!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

Because of different heights of players. Putting can be more strenuous on certain back issues than driving. I guess a real tall player might suffer if his putter was limited to 36”.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

You could still Arm Lock with a 36” putter. Also what if you’re very short or very tall?

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

This would take care of Langer, McCarron, and Scott too. Others say to dictate that the putter has to be the shortest club in the bag. 

What would take care of Langer and McCarron would be enforcement of the rules. They know where the cameras are and lets's just say that this helps determine how they putt. Sometimes they don't even care and anchor anyway.

McCarron is the worst. He's a disgrace.

mccda43.jpg

Is Scott McCarron still anchoring his putter? Former PGA Tour pro Colt Knost believes so...

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

2 hours ago, Shorty said:

I know - next thing they'll be making you putt out from 4 feet and make you count balls that go in the water.

Ridiculous how big brother even makes the "rules" about a game.

Nothing more insane than having a game where "rules" define how you play. Makes a mockery of the terms "sport" and 'game".

I don't like the way you intended to play that hole. You're disqualified.

4 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

I have an older model 36" Cleveland putter that I used last year and half. I am 5'7" with shoes on. I 'anchored' it on my left forearm (I am right handed) a few times (didn't like it as it delofted the face and would 'skip' the ball - a user issue, but that's beside the point). So yeah, surely it will leave a subset out that can still 'anchor' to forearm. 

Come to think of it, I can clasp a 34" putter to my forearm if I bend enough.. 

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

You could still Arm Lock with a 36” putter. Also what if you’re very short or very tall?

The arm lock putters seem to have a lot more loft and offset than regular putters. How about putting limits on those things? Or, how about just making a rule that says the only points of contact for any club is the hands.

Edited by Sandy Divot

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

The arm lock putters seem to have a lot more loft and offset than regular putters. How about putting limits on those things? Or, how about just making a rule that says the only points of contact for any club is the hands.

Why?

And couldn't a person grip the club in an Arm Lock style such that they keep their hand against their forearm, so the putter is only contacting their hands?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

When i hear "anchored" i think non moving point. No issue with arm lock here. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls